Chrome overtakes Firefox market share for the first time

By on December 1, 2011, 9:47 AM

StatCounter and Net Applications have just released their latest report on global web browser usage and, at least according to the former, Google's three-year-old Chrome browser has already surpassed Firefox in terms of usage. Net Applications still has Firefox ahead by 4 percentage points, but either way the trend is crystal clear and it's just a matter of time before Chrome takes in the second spot behind IE.

StatCounter reports that Chrome took 25.7% of the worldwide market last month, up from just 4.66% two years ago, compared to Firefox’s 25.23 percent. It's a marginal win, but a win nonetheless. Meanwhile, Net Applications says Chrome gained 0.7% in November to 18.2%, while Firefox dropped 0.4 percentage points to 22.1% in the same period. By the latter's estimates, Chrome could outpace Firefox by March 2012.

StatCounter Global Browser Usage

That's a massive achievement for Google in just a little over three years, even more so considering Opera has tried for years with a very capable alternative but currently holds less than 2% market share worldwide.

Microsoft's Internet Explorer maintains a strong lead with somewhere between 40.63% and 52.63% globally, depending on which source you trust the most. Safari holds a mere 5-6% when it comes to desktop browsers, but dominates the mobile space with 55% usage, according to Net Applications latest figures. Also in mobiles, the Android browser had bumped Opera Mini aside in October for the second-place spot, but in November, Opera Mini took some share back. They now hold 20.1% and 16% of that market, respectively.

Net Applications Global Mobile Browser Usage

Mobile browsers still represent a relatively small portion of the market, but with smartphones and tablets use growing exponentially mobile browsing is also on the rise. According to Net Applications' data for November, browser usage on personal computers represented 92% of the market while mobile devices took 6.7%.

artikelteknik said:

i think chrome make some inovation to overtake firefox

Tomorrow_Rains said:

Welcome to the botnet

no **** that they do that. chrome is intergrated on almost every new computer systems, and almost all software. ff is a downloaded version, and free to choose. try and make a test in legally dl versions, and ff wil eat chrome again.

Yet chrome does not have a bookmarks sidebar. Any power user with a brain won't even give it a second glance with such important features missing.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

True, I get Chrome offered nearly every software I download .... Just look, ads above and on the site advertising Chrome........ book xD

For some reason Chrome reminds me of AOL ;)

Chrome is bundled with everything and advertised everywhere. I actually used a friends laptop who was using Internet Explorer, I told him he should try Firefox or Chrome. Turns out Chrome was already installed and he didn't even know.

The only thing Chrome had was speed, but since Firefox 8 according to Lifehacker, Firefox is faster than Chrome. I suppose only noticeable through benchmarks. Anyone complaining about Firefox's interface shouldn't be using Firefox anyways since they don't even know you can customize Firefox to look anyway you want.

Chrome will probably stay ahead, it is Google's browser so it has Google backing and sponsoring it. Mozilla is a non-profit organization, it's unlikely they'll win a battle against Google even if their browser is superior.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

I would argue that power users think bookmarks are dead. :-)

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I would argue that power users think bookmarks are dead. :-)

Agreed, I never used bookmarks. I tried for a short time but never really made use of them. For me a quick search always took me where I wanted to go. Bookmarks are so hard to keep up with. Opps I did a system restore and forgot to save my bookmarks.

As for Chrome I despise how it tries forcing itself on my system with the install of a few programs I keep up with. I never used Google and now I know I don't ever want anything to do with Google. I found Chrome on my fathers computer, probably after one of his grandkids installed Skype. He doesn't want Chrome on his computer and never will. He is content with IE, if that tells you anything. So here I am removing crap (aka Chrome) that never was wanted in the first place.

I would agree that the rise to power is the fact that Chrome forces itself onto peoples machines. I wonder how many people actually continue to use their PC and wonder why their browser looks different.

Guys above are right. It probably got a market share boost since it started to get shoved down user's throats, Ask style.

Why would anyone trade the truly open and clean experience that Firefox and it's addons bring to the game for an ad infested piece of junk that pisses all over your privacy and is driven by a power hungry company is beyond me. For 0.5 less seconds spent when opening a page ?

They don't even have a 64 bit version out today... At least Firefox has Palemoon and Waterfox.

No true adblocker, no multithreaded download managers after all this time... If you think they're coming, think again. Google doesn't want them. Go look for a YT downloader addon for Chrome. I couldn't find one in their extension store. Yep, they don't want you leeching off their servers and I can understand that, but this was about freedom, and Google's not giving it to you.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It's called plugins, normally people use them and they make the browser do what they want it to do.

cliffordcooley said:

I would argue that power users think bookmarks are dead. :-)

I use them to open multiples sites I check daily or more than once a day with just a single click and have things more neat over there. That's me at least.

There are a couple of things that I dont like about chrome, and another couple of things I like from chrome (For example the ability to run programs inside of chrome Android-like). The thing I hate most from it is the inability to put a master password to have your stored passwords, its a matter of a day just not locking the computer and someone opens your browser and ta-da all your passwords are there for anyone to see (Unless you dont save them which brings a matter of time consupmtion, or having to download a 3rd party plugin for password managment which won't sync up if you use chrome in other places).

When the day comes that Chrome has master password and encryption, they have a new follower here.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Chrome, it's the only web browser now available in handy suppository......

I still remember the good old days when people knew to uncheck all the crapplications that came with the download you actually wanted. For all intents and purposes, Chrome is spyware, and of late, adware. All the fanbois are welcome to it. You can have my copy too.

Upio said:

LOL at all the FF fanboys raging about chrome.

It's a good browser. Why so mad?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Chrome gives google your browsing habits. If you really like Chrome for how it is as a browser, get Chromium instead. Personally I just stay with the quiet browser, Opera. Almost every 'new' feature you got in other browsers came from copying Opera. Now, finally Opera copied FF and allowed extensions.

Captaincranky - I thought it was you that complained about not having noscript in Opera. Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else. But anyway, Opera has a pretty functional noscript thing now.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 8.0, and Opera 11.60 pinned to the taskbar. Opera is my main browser.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just switched to Chome three days ago. Firefox was locking up my system and horribly slow. It seems like they're latest releases are worse then 2.0.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

LOL at all the FF fanboys raging about chrome.

It's a good browser. Why so mad?

Did you really join just so you could post that with a screen name. LOL. back at ya!

PC World magazine trashed the new "Chromebooks". I think they said something like, "Google is trying to pass off a web browser as an operating system, it doesn't do very much".

My offer still stands, you're more than welcome to any "free" copy of Chrome I encounter.

No, that was me. Not much of a leap though, I'm usually complaining about something

I've had Opera Installed from time to time. Earlier versions (8 or 9.xx maybe even earlier), crashed the IGP in my computer during prolonged downloads....???? The screen just locked up...

I have the Opera 11.52 installer sitting on the desktop now, maybe I'll give it a shot, if it can be made to block script. You simply can't visit the salacious hell holes on the web I do without script blocking. I suppose another question might be, does Opera support Active X? To my knowledge, FF doesn't and it's a great browser because it doesn't.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@SNG

I agree that Opera has been much more 'innovative' when compared with other options, however, for some odd reasons whenever I have 15-20 Tabs opened it nearly 'crawls' to a halt. Otherwise it is a much better browser than that spyware arr I mean chrome. Anyway, lately I have been using IE9 and FF8 + FFNx64 without any issues.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm still stuck on FF3. Maybe if I'm lucky, Google will stop supporting it, and I'll just switch search engines....yay!

@Archean, gosh 20 tabs is an off day for me, I'm usually at 100+......and if you turned every tab upside down, they'd all load the same..... FF seems to have a great download manager, I don't know how it stacks up against the others though

It's kind of genius really.

Google funds Mozilla to develop Firefox to promote their search engine through Firefox's default homepage and search bar. Successfully taking away market share from Microsoft's Internet Explorer. At the same time doing research through Firefox to learn how to create their own successful browser. After thorough research they develop and release Chrome. Google's contract with Mozilla will expire at end of this year (unless renewed). Just in time for Chrome to take over Firefox's market share to become a direct competitor with Internet Explorer.

Google knows what they are doing. They bundle Chrome with countless applications and they advertise all over the internet. From the beginning they have collected data from Chrome users. Now they have begun advertising through the browser itself. I am looking forward to see how their spyware + adware browser progresses through the coming months / years. All the while I will be using Firefox.

Wow, finally feeling at home.

I've tried Chrome and can't stand it... Can't explain why though. Maybe it's the fear of having to sell my soul to Google that bothers me... The way they do business, it reminds me of Apple and the old Microsoft. I can't help wondering if the o' mighty monopole hammer will hit!

As for FF, I hate the pop-up download manager... The person who though of that should be punished. I'd jump back on the FF train if I found out how to disable that pop-up piece of crap.

Can't get off Opera even if the memory usage grosses me out. running 11 tabs and it hogs 317Mb of ram!!! I can't wait for the day when they'll fix the memory usage bug.

Wow--- just realized that the random question to post is : "Who develops the Android operating system?" OMG they're everywhere!!!! Tech Spot, your objectivity is being doubted here!

From Statcounter, it's funny to see that Chrome is completely absent from the highest IQ population (Antartica)

ar

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

???? Not sure what the complaint is. It only shows up on the first download. After that, it shows progress on the task bar, and you only need open the window to see your download history. I couldn't think of a better system, can you?

Concerning the popup download manager. Did you even try to search for an extension? I just searched "download" on the Firefox add-on's page and found many options that should satisfy you. Here are the first few that caught my eye.

Download Status Bar

sbar/

Download Manager Tweak (open in tab or sidebar)

er-tweak/?src=search

or another one similar

ab/

The status bar one is similar to Chrome, but I think the download manager in a tab is cooler, and you could pin the tab.

Should any of them not be updated for Firefox 8, simply install:

Disable Add-on Compatibility Checks

tibility/

Most add-ons will still function correctly after a Firefox update, and that add-on is an easy way to allow you to install "outdated" add-ons. On occasion one will case a problem or simply won't work. In that event, just remove it and look for an alternative version.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I've been addicted to Opera the last 10 or so years, I just love it.

RAM is cheap nowdays, with 20>30 or so tabs open it only uses ca 500MB for me...

But there is always a solution [link]

If you are worried about "botnet", get the Comodo Dragon instead.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I've been addicted to Opera the last 10 or so years, I just love it.

But there is always a solution [link]

I am as well, Opera has been my browser for many years. I thought we established a while back that the more intelligent and discriminating use Opera.

Not surprising, in Sydney, Australia there are Chrome billboards at nearly every train station!

darkzelda said:

I'm using Opera right now. I couldn't surf the web without it!!

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

CC - Opera doesn't support ActiveX. Also here is an article about NotScript (NoScript like features for Opera).

Archean - I often have about that many tabs open, don't have any problem with responsiveness. I use Opera on Windows 7 and OS X 10.7.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Still have FF here and love it with the occasional Chrome usage. I've had Opera installed for many years too but sadly could never get into it .

Say what??? Of course Chrome has a sidebar of bookmarks. Do you know what "extensions" are? Go to the Chrome Web Store and search for bookmarks.

vhawk said:

i can't think why i found chrome worse than useless

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Actually captaincranky, someone bumped the best browser thread in Software Apps and I found this gem: http://www.techspot.com/vb/post1070735-16.html

I use IE9 on W7 and FF on Kubuntu Linux. Tried Chrome (Chromium), but didn't like it's minimilist interface and reputation as spyware.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I've established that those suffering with a superiority complex all seem to use Opera. I offer the above captioned quote as evidence of this.

I've been addicted to Opera the last 10 or so years, I just love it.

But there is always a solution

I would mention that this is uncharacteristically cavalier. It doesn't rise to my extremely high standard of haughty arrogance, but it is, at the very least, a valiant attempt.

While 8GB RAM DIMMs are obviously an alternative for some, but not so much for others.

It doesn't seem enticing to acquiesce that Opera requires enough RAM to cause the prospective user to buy another computer with a 64 bit OS, to render the browser's best case utility.

ATM, FF 3.6 is plugging along nicely with 110 tabs open in 5 windows. Memory usage being about 661 MB.

Sadly, I don't choose to close 80+ tabs, for a more direct comparison.

I can tell almost the exact same story twice. This is a bad thing? The only problem would be, I forgot I told it the first time. Otherwise, I would have copied and pasted it, and saved myself a bunch of typing.

Carrying on with the good news / bad news / bad news, theme , I hijacked Red's Happy Birthday thread. It was the least I could do. The bad news is, I also hijacked it last year, and forgot that the thread was even there. Even more bad news, nobody thought to start a "Happy Birthday captaincranky" thread. While I don't deny it's understandable, it's nonetheless, disappointing. Isn't anybody the slightest bit concerned that a turn of events such as this might embitter me further?...

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'll agree with you that not everyone is in a situation to take advantage of cheap ddr3 ram. I'm using ddr2 on my desktop and to bump that to 8 gigs its far out of my budget. But I did bump my laptop to 8 for $30, only to find similar ram $10 cheaper a few days later. 8 gigs for $20 is something I don't think we've ever seen before (well of course not, but I mean that in a relative sense, like 2 gigs back in 2002 or something).

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Its because of the red isnt it?

Umm...FF fans...when I installed FF on my older computer it took >45 seconds *just to load up* while Chrome was nearly instantaneous. Grant you this was several years ago.

Now, I know you all have awesome 3D accelerated computers just to surf web pages and your Grandma just 'needs to get a life' and buy that Alienware laptop, but perhaps you're not the whole browser market...

Speed is a fundamental feature, not a luxury...just take a look at IE's market share...

I have switched to Chrome now that the add-ons are becoming more useful. Unfortunately, Firefox has become too bloated for me and I have become increasingly fed up with the need to keep releasing versions that seem to just add to the amount of system resources required to run but no real improvement in function

I just want a browser built for stress free and safe browsing. Firefox has become the IE of old I fear.

Chris UK

true, but i used ie and mse.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Chris UK

You know Chris, Google has forced the accelerated version numbering paradigm on Mozilla, with their own BS renumbering of minute updates as full blown browser "versions".

In this day and age, many people are fairly cavalier about system resources, with 64 bit OSes, and memory at less than $10,00 bucks a gig. So, "Why The Face".

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Sadly, I don't choose to close 80+ tabs, for a more direct comparison.

Hmm, while I was being mildly sarcastic in my original post, I kind of feel a tremble in the force with these two quotes.

And no, English is not my native language, so it took me a while to understand your post, hence the delay in replying

Oh, and happy birthday, but don't you think you'd have more chance of seeing a birthday thread if you filled out your birthday in your profile?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Happy B'day Captain, I'm sure your stomach can handle whatever you can throw at it today

+1 to Per

danhodge danhodge said:

Opera or Chrome for me, but either way, Internet Explorer doesn't deserve #1 placings there.

Also, W3 statistics say that Chrome and Firefox have a higher browser usage than internet Explorer - so are 'StatCounter' and 'Net Applications' just counting for the amount of people that use IE, or the amount they are used? Im guessing it is the prior, as W3 is the latter (which does tell you a lot about Internet Explorer users actually).

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh ....BTW

Most people that use Firefox, use either "NoScript", or "AdBlock Plus".

With either of those extensions in play, you can avoid being followed around by Google. (To one extent or another).

With that said and done, I guess you're browser choice will, as a matter of convenience, not be acknowledged by Google.

C'mon now, Google can't go around telling advertisers that Chrome isn't as popular as FF, now can it?