Nvidia wants to see proof that A5X is four times faster than Tegra 3

By on March 8, 2012, 1:00 PM

During Apple’s media event yesterday to unveil the new iPad, Cupertino claimed that the A5X chip inside their latest tablet was twice as fast as the Apple A5 and four times as powerful as Nvidia’s Tegra 3 processor in terms of graphics performance. Nvidia, however, isn’t drinking the Apple flavored Kool-Aid without first seeing some proof.

Nvidia spokesperson Ken Brown noted that while it was “certainly flattering” that Apple called out the Tegra 3 during their press event, the figures are essentially lifeless without benchmarks to back them up.

“We don’t have the benchmark information,” Brown said. “We have to understand what the application was that was used. Was it one or a variety of applications? What drivers were used? There are so many issues to get into with benchmark.”

It’s unlikely that Apple will release any further information to back up their claims. Instead, most will have to wait until late next week when tech sites release their reviews complete with comparisons between the two.

In the meantime, we can compare the A5 chip found in the iPad 2 with the Tegra 3 from ASUS’ Transformer Prime. When speaking solely on graphics performance, the iPad 2 did beat out the Transformer Prime in SlashGear’s GLBenchmark 2.1. AnandTech ran a similar story in December that compared the same tablets. In every test, the iPad 2 came out on top; sometimes by a pretty large margin, other times by just a few frames per second.

Based on the fact that the A5 has been proven to be faster (by how much, is debatable), there’s no doubt in our minds that the A5X will push the next iPad even higher in comparison benchmarks against the Tegra 3. But, four times as fast… we’ll have to wait and see if that proves to be true.

AccordXTC said:

As a owner of the Asus Prime, lets start off with...Flash, higher MP camera, thinner, has HDMI out, mico SD slot, has a dock that give you keyboard and mouse, bigger screen. I dont understand how stupid Apple fanboys still feed into the BS the company passes off. Why do people waste on 3G or LTE when you can teather, or Apple TV now supports 1080p...really this is what there pushing lol

I own a iphone and like it and thats it far as I go, well untill the iphone 5 comes out if it does and they try to pawn another crap feature. Then I'll be moving on.

venomblade said:

I'd like to see proof that Kepler is unbeatable, as they say :P

MilwaukeeMike said:

Well accordxtc... it's because Apple believes (because of a Microsoft marketing study from way back when) that features don't sell a product. They believe product sales are driven by changing the way we do things, like listen to music or surf the net. It's why Steve always sat on the couch and used his iPad instead of talking about it. To get the reaction 'Dude.... that guy is soooo trendy!'

I'm in your boat, and I'll never buy an Apple product until their iPods have FM radios (cuts into iTunes sales), or the phones have SD (cuts into the tiered pricing), 4G (iPhone users can't be tethered to a charger!) and removable batteries (why pay to replace the battery when you can replace the whole phone?).

Anyway... as soon as a review comes out and shows graphics aren't 4 times better we can expect a response from Apple something like, 'You're holding it the wrong way.'

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The iPods have FM radios now MM.

Often people on anti-Apple rants get a little 'mission-creep' in their message. I had a bigger post wrote out and my beloved Opera browser took a dump

It still amaze me how Apple can take the Ipad 2, upgrade some components inside it (they dont do anything, they just use the latest hardware develop by third parties) and create a buzz that every fanboy out there will rush to spend 600$+ to get a new device with some upgrade. The new Ipad does not bring anything new!!!! Come on, 4g and LTE are on a lots of phone and tablet already, 5mp camera are old, new phone have 8mp+ camera already. New screen resolution, ok this is new but does it make such a difference for the price? What else, ah yes a new cpu that Apple claim to be 4x faster then tegra3 with no proof. Apple is so rich because of all the fanboy out there that are way too rich and spend money on toys. When was the last time Apple actually did something new and amazing? A few years ago Apple was on top, now they just make money.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Guest:

The A5 chip is Apple's, its not an 'off the shelf' part you can buy anywhere.

Its not $600+, base model is $499. (this is the mission creep I spoke of above)

Megapixels aren't everything, the optics matter too. I'm sure there will be sites with comparison photos.

What difference in price? Compared to what?

I'm sure its 4x faster in some specific senario, its not unheard of for a manufacturer to claim some amount faster than a competitor - usually its a specific senario.

Apple doesn't do something 'new and amazing', they take something that exists and make it look good and easy to use. If you don't want to accept it, thats fine, but the rest of the industry has been trying to copy, since the iPod, whatever Apple does.

Remember, first and foremost, Apple is an excellent marketing firm. Secondly, they're a manufacturing firm.

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

reason why I'm hating apple right now:

Client wants an Adroid and Apple App.

Android: Install Eclipse and Android SDK, pay $25 for market account, upload APK and app is online within 10 minutes. DONE!

iPhone: Had to buy a cheap iBook for dev, figured out the OS was too old, got Snow Leopard, figured out it needs an intel processor, so had to install VMware on my machine, create the vm image of snow, update it, update it some more, install xcode, pay $99 to send in my app for approval, wait, then it get's accepted.. only I'm still wasting my time updating Mac OS I haven't even gotten started on xcode yet. so far I've wasted a week on this dam thing. Congrats Apple.

MilwaukeeMike said:

The A5 chip is made by samsung. this Guest is just trolling.... I know some people wait in line for these things, but anyone who owns an iPad2 and drops $600 before reviews are available is a *****.

4G is new for Apple. this is their first 4G device and depending on your city, it's a huge upgrade in speed over 3G. Sure, the graphics probably won't be 4 times faster, but its' not going to be slow. This will still be the best tablet available for a while.

I'm waitin on battery life numbers. I know the thing is fatter and probably has a much bigger battery than the iPad2. More pixels, more processing, and 4G usually means buy a car charger if you plan on leaving the house.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

reason why I'm hating apple right now:

Client wants an Adroid and Apple App.

I don't see why this is the fault of Apple instead of you... You didn't do any preliminary research into what is needed and instead bought a notebook. Once you figured out that was too old, you bought an OS for a newer Mac without thinking to check why the iBook was too old? I mean, I can understand if it was in the PC world where you can run just about any MS OS on old hardware, its just slow. But you recognized that the iBook was too old - that has to trigger something, surely if it was just slow you could have gotten by - after all you did buy an iBook (something that hasn't been made since 2006?

I not trying to be a **** here, seriously I'm not, but what you went through isn't Apple's fault.

yRaz yRaz said:

SNGX1275 said:

reason why I'm hating apple right now:

Client wants an Adroid and Apple App.

Yes, it is Apple's fault. They made the OS, they choose the hardware. However, Apple does have a track record of choosing horrible hardware.

wcbert said:

"iPods have radios? Thanks They should advertise that... i just bought a Sansa Clip (which is awesome btw)"

Where? I have the latest IPod and if you mean radio that needs Wifi connection that is not a radio.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

How is it Apple's fault you can't develop for an iPhone/iPad on a 6+ year old system that runs on a processor architecture they haven't used in 6 years and haven't supported since Leopard (10.5, they are now on 10.7). Its 100% the fault of a programmer that doesn't understand the system he's programming on. He could have at least done a cursory google search and found how to run xcode in a VM on a Windows system.

To the horrible hardware really? Until the late G5s every PowerPC processor was competitive if not better than the Intel offering at the same time*. Apple uses quality displays. Not sure what else could be bad. Maybe you are referring to the 68 series processors before the PowerPC? Those were fine processors for the time and the transition to PowerPC went pretty smoothly, and I think the transition to Intel processors went pretty smoothly too.

As far as the iPods and radios. Maybe the others don't, I don't know because I don't own them. But I know my 5th? generation nano does.

*G3, G4 and Altivec, G5 (3 different links)

I don't own either (ianything or a tegra 3 device) but 4x better sounds WAY to good to be true.

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

SNGX1275 said:

*G3, G4 and Altivec, G5 (3 different links)

"I" did not choose the laptop, my boss did, he found an article on system requirements for xcode.. unfortunately it was from 2009. i at least put the snow leopard update to use making my vmware image. The point is, even after it's set up compared to Google i still have to waste a lot of time and more money into an app. $25 compared to $99. and a week of approval time compared to 10 minutes on android.

It doesnt matter, Apple is the BEST and I will pay any amount, and i mean any amount. Even if it means buying a new one every month for those slight upgrades, but so worth it and you might ask why cause its APPLE of course.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Well, then its a failure of your boss and maybe you. Whomever's fault it is it isn't Apple's. The cheaper entry and instant approval to the android market has its price in the form of malicious apps.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

0/10

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I'm looking forward the the benchmark test and teardown information when it gets released.

MrAnderson said:

I'm also looking forward to a more indepth review of the two technologies, becasue it is kind of crazy just flat out stating something is better in performance when the proof is not provided... and context too. And to some degree it may not even matter becasue the formfactor is frozen and we still have only begun to push these devices within their formfactors and battery limitations.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

I don't have any apple stuff, nor do I want any, but I do really think apple's displays are excellent.

TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

Ipod Nano has a built in radio tuner, not through Wifi. It's a bummer, I was going to buy my mother the touch but found out it didn't have a tuner so I got her the nano after reading the box. She liked the smaller package anyways.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Apple doesn't manufacture anything. They design their devices, and other companies manufacture them.

Just like nVIDIA, they are a software company first and foremost.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

hahahanoobs said:

Just like nVIDIA, they are a design company first and foremost.

Fixed that for you.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

So nVIDIA is admitting the A5 silicon is 2x better than Tegra 3? I'd be worried about that first.

PinothyJ said:

I can only imagine the official press release from NVidia: "I call bullshit..."

Apple products still the best by far, their new ipad still far ahead in software and hardware integration then any tablet out there.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

^ Guest. If you want to help minimize the hatred of Apple on various tech sites, you can't post as a guest and then say some lame generic crap like that. You need to take a few minutes and come up with something halfway intelligent to say and provide some links (if possible) to back your ideas up.

Posting what you did is equivalent to throwing more fuel on the fire.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but seriously to Android fans out there.

Do you really enjoy your apps more than Apple's apps?

How long does your android phone goes outdated? 1 month? 3 months?

Aren't you frustrated when new Android can get updates, while yours... oh, they forgot to upgrade yours.

Do you really think higher spec makes you Android faster than Apple's? haha, how's the laggy home screen going?

And lastly, hey, your Android looks a lot like Apple. how come? :D

when Apple created revolution with iPhone, people start copying and said, iPhone is no better than my "copycat" Android device.

when Apple created Macbook Air, people start making thin laptop too.

When Apple created iPad, people start making "copycat" tablet, and claim to be better.

seriously, copycats against pioneer?

i don't understand why the haters hate. by the way, i have Android. but that doesn't mean i love it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And lastly, hey, your Android looks a lot like Apple. how come?
Apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Are they not both round? Which tree pays the other tree royalty for producing round fruit. Stupid arguments about royalties that I think is pathetic. How many different ways can you make a small touch screen device and bicker about the design being copied?

I don't know about android being outdated within 2 or 3 months, but I'm been using my android phone much longer than that already, and its been one of the best phone I ever had. It does not have the best display ever, but it works and is very functional as a business tool. However, I do found that Iphone 3 looks fat and ugly (just my personal point of view), and Iphone 4 sucks *** and is internally flaw. Still remember the time when my friend used his Iphone 4 as a gps, the gps keeps losing its positioning, even though we are on city with wide open sky. I remembered telling him that his iphone 4's gps antenna is crapped, but he just kinda shaked it off, saying that his phone's gps is working fine. Clearly, he lacks competency of gps antenna in cell phones nowaday. I also once checked up some reviews on apples macbook pro just out of pure curiousity, and while it received very high ratings, I found some people still rate their apple product four to five stars despite the heating problem and minor problems with the products (really, if these problems were on alienware, dells, etc. laptops, the rating would not have been 4 to 5 stars. I talked to a friend recently of why he is using apples itouch when he already sold his iphone, he told me that he doesn't have much a of choice, since if he already spent so much money on the apps.

My personal experiences with apple had always been dimmed. I bought apple's first ipod at costco, and returned four times because of update failures makes the device dead on me. The last time, the update when smoothly, but I hated when I synced the phone, I would lose songs on the device just because I deleted it from my computer. I had the first iphone, didn't like it; had the second generation, hated it. My brothers had iphones, and they hated it (all changed to android, and they loved it.) My family used our phones for business and IT stuff daily, we are power users who pushed our devices way above the average person. We exploit our phones, so raw power has always been important. So, for people who said that raw power doesn't make difference, they are either naive, or just simply don't use their device much other than texting. Apple fanboys can label their apple products premium all they want, but I really don't see anything premium about the iphone 4's faulty gps antenna, or the specs of apples pc.

peperonikiller peperonikiller said:

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but seriously to Android fans out there.

Do you really enjoy your apps more than Apple's apps?

How long does your android phone goes outdated? 1 month? 3 months?

And lastly, hey, your Android looks a lot like Apple. how come?

when Apple created Macbook Air, people start making thin laptop too.

seriously, copycats against pioneer?

Obvious apple fan boy is obvious..

It's not even worth a rebuttal

If your an android user you should notice that a good amount of the new ios 5 features have been on android for a while. And look at how Apple copied things directly from Android (like the notification bar). Like was mentioned before, Apple is just really good at marketing and got a "fanboy" following. They may have had the first real mass sold smart phone, but thats just like the first mass produced car. Other companies took the idea and improved on it.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And all this to do what, why does this tablet need all this GPU power when no games are going to make use of it. Well, no real games because you could never play games for more than 10 minutes with touch controls before it becomes a pain. Also worth noting is the PS Vita uses the same GPU. If you want a gaming device the choice is obvious, at least to me it is and hence why I bought the Vita. So putting aside its not a gaming device what does this serve? In all honesty I still don't see the purpose to a tablet, it doesn't do any one thing particularly well. Fine its faster than a Tegra 3 Soc, but only in the graphics department which is not a selling point in my eyes, not for a tablet that can't game in the sense of the word.

And to those who use poor grammar or excessive question marks, you don't come off sounding terribly clever.

I bought a table off eBay for $100 that plays all the 3D games. I haven't had any problems and didn't have to sell my left nut. Apple is for trendy retards that want an over priced device that will make them look "cool" to other retards... $500 i7 laptop or a $10,000 iMac, hmmmm.....

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TrueBooleanFals said:

Well the iPod does, the app is called "TuneInRadio" works really well.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

Mobile technology has become the biggest pissing match ever...

I think its a contest about penis size.

Fanboys dont make a company worth $500 billion dollars. Apple is worth $500 billion Google is worth less than $200 billion. This is a fact dont believe look at the stocks.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Actually the Fanboys are whats making the company worth billions, the definition of an Apple consumer is Fanboy. Try arguing with one, its impossible, they can't see past the iDevice in front of their own face. And when the company releases a new product they all jump on it in hordes because it has slightly better specs or promises to make them that much more trendy then the person next to them. So Fanboys don't make a company, well for Apple they do.

Remember when they had that ad campaign claiming that you couldn't talk on the phone and browse the internet the at the same time on android.

inventix1136 said:

burty117 said:

TrueBooleanFals said:

Well the iPod does, the app is called "TuneInRadio" works really well.

TuneInRadio is a streaming music application and NOT a radio because iPod touch does not have a radio tuner. Try using TuneInRadio without internet connection...

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'm sure its 4x faster in some specific scenario, its not unheard of for a manufacturer to claim some amount faster than a competitor - usually its a specific scenario.

Since it wasn't reported elsewhere on this site and that I was right about it being a specific scenario. LaptopMag did see the 4x faster that is claimed, however the Tegra3's overall processing power is greater than the A5X.