Verizon doubles FiOS speeds to 300Mbps, prices to increase

By on May 30, 2012, 6:30 PM

Claiming customer demand has fueled recent network upgrades, Verizon announced it will more than double speeds for FiOS subscribers. This will raise the company's fastest offering from an speedy 150/35 Mbps to an enviable 300/65 Mbps. There is currently no information in regards to pricing, but Verizon CFO Fran Shammo said big red does plan to raise FiOS prices in light of recent upgrades -- we just don't know by how much.

Plans on lower tiers of speed will also receive a healthy bump in terms of download umph; however, upload speeds will remain untouched in most cases.

Verizon FiOS upgrade plans:

• 150/35 Mbps (current, down/up) => 300/65 Mbps (upgraded, down/up)
  • 50/20 Mbps (current) => 150/65 Mbps (upgraded)
  • 35/35 Mbps (current) => 75/35 Mbps (upgraded)
  • 25/25 Mbps (current) => 50/25 Mbps (upgraded)
  • 15/5 Mbps (current) => 15/5 Mbps (upgraded)

Although numbers like that are sure to put a grin on any computer enthusiast's face, Verizon has shown that even higher FiOS speeds may be attainable in the future. Let us hope Verizon's FiOS service continues to remain uncapped.

FiOS directly competes with AT&T's U-verse, although in many areas customers don't have a choice between the two. While the speeds FiOS offers are fantastic, coverage does remain limited

Speaking of fiber networks, Google had also outlined plans to deploy its own 1Gbps fiber network in select cities. Unfortunately, the company's pilot project in Kansas City, Kansas (and let's not forget about the one in Missouri) has been plagued with one delay after another, according to the Kansas City Star.

howzz1854 said:

just out of curiosity, just how many people actually have the Fios.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

I've had FIOS for several years and it's been solid as heck. Customer Service is excellent, my only gripe is the price. I wish it was a little cheaper.

howzz1854 said:

Scshadow said:

Yes. Please upgrade your current network. Nobody else wants Fios.

war59312 said:

"15/35 Mbps (current) => 15/5 Mbps (upgraded)"

Um typo!!!! That one stays the same at 15/5, see the source image.

Jibberish18 said:

<p>how much do people pay... that's my question... if it was cheap, I am sure the demand will be there without them telling the demand is there.</p>

Problem is apparently that Fios is very very expensive to deploy, so Verison stopped deploying because their money maker is wireless. Same thing with ATT.

JudaZ said:

only 65Mbps upload... when will you ever catch up.

Sure 300Mbps download is nice and all, but come on.

I still prefer my 100/100Mbps speed over this setup

Renrew Renrew said:

"Customer Service is excellent"

That must be a joke. I just spent 6 hours on the phone with their "Customer Service" trying to get a bundled price advertised nationally.

Finally sucess, or so I thought, the offer was cancelled by Verizon 2 days later claiming it was for new customers only.

Five years of using their service and paying my bills, counts for nothing and now, with a little creative shopping I managed to lower my bill by $50.00 per month.

Seems like their customer service reverted back to their previous service debacle. Their product is OK but nothing extraordinary and I for one, am not willing to spend premium money for lackluster product and terrible customer service.

I see I will be on DSL for another 50 years at this pace of the roll out.. LOVE LOVE my 3MB\728K :oops: Is there really any upcoming FIOS comparable Wireless technology coming out? Or any wireless technology that beats DSL? And no I'm not talking about cellular...That's even worse around these parts plus they have CAPS.

MilwaukeeMike said:

So uh... what's FiOS? Verizon's Fiber optic landline internet service? What's the price now? With the details you leave out and the links to engadget right in the story, it makes me wonder if you're trying to get people to leave this page.

viperfl said:

<p>just out of curiosity, just how many people actually have the Fios.</p>

Has had FIOS for a year now and it's awesome. Better than the other choice which is Brighthouse. Can't wait for the speed upgrades.

jackal2687 said:

I just ordered Fios yesterday. This puts a smile on my face. I am currently using Brighthouse and they do have better customer service, prices and general sense. However their internet is not favorable. I am constantly being disconnected from Xbox live and even youtube slows down frequently, even during slow times of the day. My friends that use Fios only have the 25/25 service and have a better connection than me with my 40/5 download and upload. I am wondering how much more this is and whether or not I can keep my current rate.

KG363 KG363 said:

My Uverse 18mbps down is starting to look slow...

At least AT&T has been great with customer service and don't seem as malicious as Comcast or TimeWarner or Verizon

gobbybobby said:

pfff still on 2 meg down 0.5 up here

Best speed can get here.

Jibberish18 said:

Cable killed the DSL star.