Cooler Master intros $50 enthusiast-grade Mini-ITX chassis

By on July 3, 2012, 7:30 AM

Cooler Master has unveiled an affordable case that combines the internal functionality of an enthusiast chassis with the diminutive footprint of a home theater PC. Priced at only $50, the Elite 120 Advanced can house full-size graphics cards while measuring only 8.2 x 9.4 x 15.8 inches (240 x 207.4 x 401.4mm -- for reference, the full tower Cooler Master Cosmos II we recently reviewed measures 27.7 x 13.5 x 26.1 inches).

The enclosure supports Mini-ITX motherboards, which are readily available for practically every Intel and AMD platform, and it can house up to four 2.5-inch drives or three 3.5-inch drives, as well as one 5.25-inch drive. The Elite 120 Advanced can handle graphics cards up to 13.5 inches (343mm) long, which covers current-generation products from Nvidia and AMD, including the Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 680.

The case also supports processor heatsink assemblies measuring up to 2.5 inches (65mm) tall as well as full size ATX power supplies. Despite such cramped quarters, Cooler Master claims the Elite 120 Advanced offers best-in-class cooling, which includes a 120mm front intake, an 80mm x 15mm slim side fan, an optional 120mm x 25mm hard drive fan, as well as perforated side panels for improved ventilation.

Although the front is part aluminum, the case's body is constructed of steel alloy. Connectivity includes two USB 2.0 ports, one USB 3.0 port, as well as mic and headphone jacks. The case's product page also mentions a rear panel grommet for an external USB 3.0 cable, an adapter that supports drives as thin as 1.8 inches, grooves built into the top frames for cable management, and it looks like the internals are fully painted.

Arris Arris said:

Looks very Shuttle like... quick sue them Shuttle!!

ikesmasher said:

thats legit, if cooling is as good as they say. which for some reason I doubt.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

I want it!! I would be surprised though if cooling was not a problem. A case an only do so much for cooling. Eventually you have to look at the making the separate parts more efficient.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I think I'll probably be in for one since I've been itching to build a new HTPC for some time now. Just wish it had a front IR panel.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Very nice case, would be a fantastic alternative for the Lian-Li PC-Q08 which I've been using over and over again for new builds. Too bad My next build will decidedly need a mid ATX or larger case. =(

edit: forgot to mention, at $50 this case could be a fantastic steal/bargain considering that gaming/high capacity ITX cases are generally sold at a premium.

nismo91 said:

fantastic! do want one immediately

d4rk5ky d4rk5ky said:

O I WANT! This will be my new gaming rig.

Coodu Coodu said:

I'm tempted to get one for the lounge media center machine, that would sit nicely in the cabinet rather than the full size clunker I have now :P