Graphics card overclocking record broken -- rig looks like a sci-fi movie set

By Luke Plunkett on July 3, 2012, 4:30 PM

Indonesian PC wizard Hazzan has broken the world record for overclocking PC graphics cards. But how do you even measure such a thing?

The scene uses the scores handed out by benchmark tool 3DMark 11, and Hazzan's 4-way SLI GTX 680 setup registered a score of P33190, which beat the previous mark by 39 points.

To reach the score, as you can see in the pics, Hazzan had to do what a lot of these serious guys have to do: namely, stand over his PC with an open bottle of liquid nitrogen and keep pouring some in every few minutes so the entire rig doesn't burst into flames. According to EXP, his entire rig reads as follows:

The platform included Core i7-3930K processor (oc'ed to 5784MHz), 8GB quad-channel GSkill DDR3 memory (oc'ed to 2480MHz), Antec High Current Pro 1200W power supply, ASUS Rampage IV Extreme mobo and ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II graphics card,the CPU and graphics adopted liquid nitrogen cooling.

Hazzan broke the record over the weekend at the ROG Absolute Zero Extreme OC event, where some of the most insane pictures of personal computers I have ever seen were taken.

Republished with permission. Luke Plunkett is a contributing editor at Kotaku.

How does he have a 1300 Watt Power Supply when in one of the images it CLEARLY shows only 1200 WATTS??? --- Editor's note: Fixed :)

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL.. I've been building my own PC's for over 15 years and there are only 3 things I recognize in those pictures - a monitor, a keyboard and a power supply.

That's the proper way to handle liquid nitrogen... /sarcasm

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If only there was a point to all this wasting of liquid nitrogen, oh well. It's all about the 24/7 OC, this is just so pointless...

JC713 JC713 said:

He could have pushed it further if he used a 3960X, and 16GB of Dominator GT RAM. Also, what about the SSD? What did he use?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

That's the proper way to handle liquid nitrogen... /sarcasm

It's LN2 not Plutonium. You'd see worse at many an overclocker event

Nitrogen isn't overly scarce. If you consider sub-zero overclocking a sport , then it consumes a lot less resources than many others ( motor racing for example). At this level of overclocking it's all about sponsorship and marketing, and has about as much relevance to a daily desktop OC as top fuel drag racing does to a local gymkhana

dmill89 dmill89 said:

It is also an Antec True Power Quattro (TPQ) as noted by the red stripe, giant 1200 on the case, and a wire fan grill not a HighCurrent Pro. The HighCurrent Pro is matte black with a stamped fan grill.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

@ TomSEA: I recognize a lot of the voltmeters, electricity/current flow equipment. I've seen liquid nitrogen setups at electronic expos and have did some water-cooled builds myself. Hard to believe someone putting together PC's for that long (even non-overclocked builds) does not recognize any of it :p but I can see it.

oh, yeah?

but will it run crysis?

seriously, it would have been better if the new overclock record was done on a "properly assembled computer" and not on a nuked environment.

anyway, kudos to the overclocking community... you set a new bar yet again.

yRaz yRaz said:

oh, yeah?

but will it run crysis?

anyway, kudos to the overclocking community... you set a new bar yet again.

[link]

considering that at release the GTX680 could almost get the solid 60FPS @ 1080p in Crysis, I think the answer is, yes, something can finally play crysis. Then again, they have three...

On a side note, this reminded me of a quote from Mystery Science Theater 3000: The movie

"increase the flash gordon noise and put more science stuff around"

The third picture should be called "moments before everything Boom"

these are the guys we are looking for to cure cancer.... oh wait... thats not important at all...

when PC gaming was king it would have been cool but now it is only an exercise in futility.

:-(

Scshadow said:

Then again, they have three...
Well 4 actually. Its 4 way sli. Too rich for me. I wanna be a billionaire so I could afford to mess around with crap like that.

hitech0101 said:

how many cards did he burn before getting this right ?

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I recently overclocked my clock, and now it's Christmas.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Liquid nitrogen is cheaper than bottled water (or at least it was when I was doing chemisty at school). 80% of the air is nitrogen.

fimbles fimbles said:

Liquid helium would give the best results but its getting short in supply and so is very very expensive these days.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

so very unpractical. where's the record for a PC overclocked by conventional cooling. until the everyday person (enthusiast) can have liquid nitrogen cooled PCs I dont really care about this record.

Why not creating a super cooled environment, like a freezer just for the PC parts, cooled by liquid nitrogen, all boxed in and shit... look nice.

I've been hounded by critics when I posted pictures of my PC with cables showing... these guys arent your typical enthusiasts, I guess... they did not give a shit about wires going everywhere, or even take a moment of time to even think about it.

Uvindu said:

Me to friend : "Hey dude, could you pour the LN2 for my while I jam crysis for the next two hours"

On a more serious note, Congratulations for the achievement!

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Word to the wise: Give random internet posters all the time you think they deserve. Most are flapping their gums for the sake of it- if they realized the limitations imposed by chassis, PSU cabling (including connector spacing), and how many devices are connected- I.e. they were an tech enthusiast - the only comments they would utter would be potential workarounds or help. This is the difference between an enthusiast and a wannabe

HWBot

The records fall under a number of categories (Stock, Air, water, peltier, dry ice, liquid nitrogen, helium, single/multi stage refrigeration).

Absolute records tend to garner the most interest unsurprisingly- much like any other human endeavour. The same reason that the mens 100m record is a blue ribbon event, whilst the 3000m steeplechase...not so much.

Each to their own, but it does become the thin edge of the wedge. You could say that LN2 is so esoteric/expensive that it bears no relevance to you. I've heard the same thoughts voiced on forums about bespoke watercooling and quad SLI/CFX, but some people place a higher value on their tech enjoyment than others

Why not creating a super cooled environment, like a freezer just for the PC parts, cooled by liquid nitrogen, all boxed in and ****... look nice.

The problems would be many. One that comes readily to mind is that the chassis/enviroment could not be sealed. Liquid Nitrogen (and other elements that are gaseous at one atmosphere pressure) expand rapidly with heat variance. Load up a CPU and a bunch of GPU's, and the heat buildup would translate into pressure- that pressure would then damage the internal components of the system. Anything hollow or containing air spaces would have to be able to withstand the pressure buildup as well as the sub-sub-zero tempreture (becoming brittle for example).

QFT. With these guys (and I used to run a single stage compressor once upon a time) the tinkering, tweaking and validation is where it's at. I can appreciate that. I get more satisfaction from building a system -picking the parts, tweaking, modding, and seeing it pass a torture test, than I ever get out of it once it's up and running and sitting on a desk. Think about it as LEGO with expensive blocks.

Errrrr.....why?

Scshadow said:

Errrrr.....why?

Errrr.....why not?

Mantrhax Mantrhax said:

Too much time and money in theyr hands

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I've been hounded by critics when I posted pictures of my PC with cables showing... these guys arent your typical enthusiasts, I guess... they did not give a **** about wires going everywhere, or even take a moment of time to even think about it.

I got my 980x to 5.2ghz, but it took, 1.45v and wasnt worth holding it passed start up. I don't think its a record, but as per your statement above, completely impractical? The everyday person isnt an "enthusiat" either.

There are about 7 reasons why I wouldn't create a super cooled freezer. It rhymes with sublimation and evaporation....

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I got my 980x to 5.2ghz, but it took, 4.5v and wasnt worth holding it passed start up. I don't think its a record...

That voltage certainly would be.

[source]

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I meant 1.45. I'll edit that before I get a hoard of trolls under my bridge.

MilwaukeeMike said:

"Graphics card overclocking record broken -- rig looks like a sci-fi movie set"

Wrong. Sci-fi movies have chicks.

I don't understand why some comments arguing like "very unpractical", "what's the point for overclocking it", "why using LN2 not other" etc etc IMHO please don't give comment if you're utterly clueless, those comments sounds stupid to me, even I'm a full-pledged-noob. I respect they who give comments who asking in order to learn/expand their knowledge or wants to know deeper about overclocking

If you ask why using LN2, alright how about use liquid oxygen? everything Boom the moment you pour it

If you ask why don't put it to extremely cooled environment? Answer: can your phone still running properly after you put it in the freezer for an hour? it's still warmer than LN2 that reach -200C.. we just only need to cool some specific parts..

And the point or goal is???

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Guests gonna guest, by posting this you are kind of being hypocritical. I post because Techspot allows comments, my comments may not always be well thought out, I'd admit that. At least I comment about the article most of the time.

Its still cool just ln2 cool. Be nice to actualy see them playing Crysis on full with 8x AA. Also they have four GPu cards. My Vood002 3000 overclocked on air, no special; voltage, to 50% above specified so in reality THAT was a far better rig. No, Really!

PC nerd PC nerd said:

That's amazing. And beautiful.

Seriously guys? All you can do is moan about "how pointless" it is?

You're ******. You're all missing the point completely.

Excellent nerd one-upsmanship. And if you pour liquid oxygen on charcoal you can get it ready to cook in 1.8 seconds. Why? Because no one's ever done it before, or even thought of it before.

1 person liked this | Pan Wah said:

Surely it would have been more sense to run the equipment at the specified clock speed, then he wouldn't have needed all the expensive & bulky cooling kit?(n)

Zoltan Head said:

Too right! Some people can't leave well alone - not broke, don't mend it.