Fujitsu to offer build-it-yourself PC course to customers

By on July 5, 2012, 5:30 PM

Fujitsu is veering off the beaten manufactured PC path and will soon begin offering classes to teach individuals how to build their computers. The move will further bolster PC assembly workshops that the company has been running in Fukushima and Shimane for the past eight years.

Fujitsu wants to teach customers about PC hardware and how to assemble a computer, regardless of age or technical skill. Configurable systems will come with 15 components to piece together for more experienced users. The motherboard will arrive pre-installed in the chassis but otherwise, the user is left to install various components like CPU cooler, RAM and the hard drive. Instructors will teach the students what each piece of hardware does and how to properly assemble them inside the system.

Newcomers can opt to have some components pre-assembled in advance as to ease them into the experience. General safe practice measures like using an anti-static mat and wrist strap will be instilled as part of the course.

Fujitsu will offer the service on 19 different machines that span four series including the LifeBook AH family of notebooks, the all-in-one Esprimo FH family and the Esprimo DH and Raku-Raku desktop systems. Customers will be able to customize key components like the CPU and hard drive at the time of purchase. A personalized mouse will be provided to anyone that participates in the class.

The company hopes that those who attend the course will be able to diagnose and repair their computer in the future in addition to performing upgrades on their own. Courses are scheduled to begin on August 9 in Japan.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cool idea, good to see a manufacturer giving back to its customers, in this case in the form of education.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Very cool idea indeed, hope it works out for them. Maybe it will give more people the idea to rather build a machine your self rather then paying alot for little.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Hopefully this will demystify the process.

Putting a computer together is not THAT difficult, providing you take your time, protect against static electricity, and slowly put everything in order. And software setup is pretty automatic.

Problem is when something doesn't go 100%, which is pretty often on an average installation, your average computer user will panic, and not want to proceed so as not to mess everything up. That's really what separates the amateurs from the pros and enthusiasts.

Lionvibez said:

This is very cool.

They should offer this service in north america I would be happy to work for them and teach some of the courses

Been building computers for 20 years self taught like many on this site.

Cheese Cake said:

Lol, I remember watching those commercials when I was a kid

Real work gets done on a real PC. Period.

nismo91 said:

This. I taught my brother how to install or remove modules like RAM or Graphic Card, so when things screw up he can at least perform self-troubleshooting immediately without me physically being there.

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

and slowly put everything in order

Slowly, well just speaking for myself, sometimes I don't have the luxury of taking my time during a computer build. During one project, where one of my clients dropped an atomic time bomb on me, from the time I had everything out of it's boxes and packaging to the time I started formatting the hard drive, as to make it ready for the O.S. was around 27 minutes. My client setup the deal, money wise, the faster I get it done the more I would get paid as far a bonus, on top of my regular fee's. Full computer build, O.S. install, Office suite, anti-virus program and system maintenance tools like CCleaner and and Auslogic's disk defrag, start to finish 2.5 hours the .5 hours was taken up by the home delivery.

Big time bonus.........."big diamonds, big diamonds"!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Big time bonus.........."big diamonds, big diamonds"!

Well, if you are getting hired by clients to put together computers very quickly then you're probably not the target audience for this course or my post.