Weekend Open Forum: What's on your Taskbar (or Dock)?

By on October 19, 2012, 6:30 PM

The Windows Taskbar and OS X’s Dock have gone through a few changes over the years. But despite their evolution, at the core they are still all about being able to quickly launch your favorite or most frequently used applications and easily switch between open windows. With that in mind today we want to ask you: what programs do you keep pinned to your taskbar (or dock for Mac users) and why?

Feel free to include a screenshot with your comment (you'll need to switch to forum mode). Mine is posted above (OS X’s Dock) and includes Reeder to check my RSS feeds, Safari and Chrome for browsing, Transmit to upload files to the server, Pixelmator for some light graphics editing, HipChat for our internal communication at TechSpot, Things to keep track of to-do’s, and Apple’s Activity Monitor and Mail.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Me first!

Windows Explorer, Google Chrome, Xonar Essence STX Audio Center, Ccleaner, Auslogics Disk Defrag, SpyBot, Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware, Paint.net, Ventrilo Server, Calculator and Spotify.

Only one desktop icon - shortcut to my data drive (H). I like a tidy desktop and taskbar. One of the reasons the Windows 8 Metro UI drives me insane.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

So this is prety much like a post your desktop thread.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Google Chrome, Steam, Firefox, Ccleaner,Smart Defrag, Libre Office

colinf said:

Winamp and Chrome pinned to task bar, plus no desktop icons at all

Windows Explorer, WMP for music, ComicRack for reading manga, Paint.net, Evernote, MPC Home Cinema, IE and Chrome for browsing.

Firefox, Chrome, tor, teamviewer, Remote desktop connection, putty, Outlook, notepadd++, Oracle Virtual box, VLC, steam, winamp, explorer, visual studio, calibre, whereisit, xampp, todolist, pcinventory list. I have 64 icons on desktop which I need to cleanup. No, I'm not listing them.

A squashed mosquito and what looks to be some snot.

Opera web browser on the task bar, various working, notes, downloads, dropbox, project shortcuts on my desktop (arranged in the corners). I Executor to run most applications so I don't really need taskbar clutter. Desktop shortcuts are a must for quick file copying etc.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I've got Firefox, Chrome, Outlook, Word, Excel, Onenote, Fireworks, Sublime Text, Calc, Notepad, WinSCP, Hipchat, Trillian and Windows Explorer, in that order.

On my Mac I've got more or less the same combination of programs except for the Office software which absolutely stinks on that platform and some Mac replacements for the same functionality as above (e.g. Cyberduck instead of WinSCP).

Siavash Siavash said:

Linux : Konsole, Dolphin, Firefox, Thunderbird, Konversation, DeaDBeeF

Windows : Windows Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, Windows Media Player

Bui Khac Tu Bui Khac Tu said:

Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, google Chrome.

Pale Moon, Windows Explorer, Total Commander, Winamp, MS Outlook, JDownloader

JC713 JC713 said:

Windows explorer, powerpoint, itunes, word, chrome, steam, realtemp, teamspeak, and adobe edge animate

Explorer, for various folders; control panel; task manager, to see what's goin on; 2 opera browsers, for the private mode; firefox, for the extensions; mpc home cinema; utorrent; notepad++; virtualbox, for more privacy and don't mess with the host; sandboxie, to don't trash the system; calculator; windows media center; blender; audacity; picasa; copernic desktop search; foxit; crapcleaner; and jdownloader.

I think that's it - for now.

Ma_ga said:

I use Windows 7 Bar, but ala XP (no smart bar), it's configured like this:

Bar 1 <-> Windows 7 Bar <-> Bar 2 <-> Bar 3 <-> Bar 4

Bar 1 [No label, text, large icons] = Bookshelf, Steam, LibreOffice, GuildWars 2

Bar 2 [No label, no text, small icons] = Calc, DTools, Fraps, OnlyStopWatch, a text file.

Bar 3 [No label, no text, small icons] = 5 shorcut to Backup Folders (not mine), KeePass

Bar 4 [No label, text, large icons] = 2 Shorcuts to folders that I use for work and downloads.

The size of the taskbar is 2 heights, never combine.

ikesmasher said:

My start button (which isnt going anywhere) and mozilla firefox. Helps keep organized for me to not have stuff all down there.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Total Commander, IE9, Firefox, Opera, Windows Live Mail, StarTrekOnline, LordOfTheRingsOnline

And of coarse the Recycle Bin on desktop.

I'm with ya, TomSEA!!

guest said:

Nothing. Windows indexes everything, and that eliminates the need to actually look for something.

MUHAMMAD KALEEM said:

Moxilla firefox. skype, windows media player. that's it.

Jeffrey Hunt Jeffrey Hunt said:

Windows File Explorer, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Hyper-V Manager, Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection

dcnc123 dcnc123 said:

Skype, xampp, eclipse, netbeans, virtualbox and most importantly chrome )

baN893 baN893 said:

Just Google Chrome and Skype. I feel Steam deserves a spot there too now after reading some of these.

2 people like this | psycros psycros said:

Yeah, its so much easer to have to remember the exact spelling of every program and make sure you type it in flawlessly than to click on a single icon. Just like how a handcrank is so much better than turning an ignition key to start your horseless carriage.

KbloodyK KbloodyK said:

I got Google Chrome, Windows Explorer, Word, Kies, Task Manager, Free Make video converter, and Utorrent. (in that order)

ebriatic ebriatic said:

Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Explorer, Winamp.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Some krap, tons of it.

tw0rld tw0rld said:

Running Rocket Dock. The dock is currently occupied by: Firefox, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Filezilla, Gimp, CCleaner, WampServer, a Docklet with all the Office 2007 program links among others.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Really basic, IE only use for backup, network symbol, steam, afterburner for graphics card fan, and AVG anti virus.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Windows Media Center, Windows Explorer, RDC, Chrome, Photoshop CS6, Adobe Bridge, Teamspeak 3, and Battlefield 3.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Internet Explorer, Firefox, Windows Live Mail, Window Explorer and Steam.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Firefox, Libraries, Win Media Player, Codeblocks. Nothing fancy.

Zoltan Head said:

Chrome, Libre Office, Mahjongg, Nautilus, Terminal, Main Menu & Audacity.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Paint, notepad, Media Player and Firefox

On startup, Firefox is just a WindowsKey+4 away

Razer said:

Chrome, Firefox, Windows Media Player, TuneUp Utilities

TrueBooleanFals TrueBooleanFals said:

Chrome, WoW, BF3, CoD:BO, Skyrim, Trashcan... but here, look at my whole desktop. Yes, my Desktop PC is using a wireless card... Horde BG, but transferred to SGTs' server and faction (Alliance)

http://postimage.org/image/tvrmicj9j/full because it wouldn't show up correctly.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Finder, Mail, Tinderbox, Anxiety, Google Chrome, iStudiez Pro, Reminders, Notes, and Parallels.

Why? I use these applications the most frequently.

EEatGDL said:

Chrome, Firefox, Windows Explorer, WMP, Messenger, Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OrCAD

xbosnax said:

Explorer | Chrome | Postbox | iTunes | CCleaner | Photoshop | MS Word | Notepad | Calculator

Running NeXuS dock on Windows 7 (Plus Rainmeter for the time and date on the desktop)

Screenshot: http://I.imgur.com/OBKpi.png

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Pinned: Calc, Chrome, WMP, Shortcut to main Storage Library (WD 2TB), Creative X-Fi control panel

System Tray (at startup): Core Temp (Load and Highest temp from all cores), Network, Audio, Malwarebytes

Zeromus said:

VS2010 and 2012. Nuff said.

smallfield said:

Windows Explorer, Chrome

MSI Afterburner, TurboV

Skype, Tunngle

Steam, shortcuts to 5 - 8 games

I prefer small icons. Nothing on desktop.

a1120028 a1120028 said:

All the usual suspects - Chrome, Media Player Classic, Utorrent, Alcohol 120, itunes and Firefox.

Use my desktop to dump stuff and clean it up later. Meto kills the entire way I work on my machine. Guess I'm sticking to 7 till something better comes along like I did with XP, that or make the switch to Ubuntu. I hear they are going to be supporting much more in the near future.

WaveZero said:

Old image, but my desktop has been like this since the beginning of the year, I made/modified a few widgets.

Doesn't look bad, might update or something when I have time.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

IE9x64, FF, Excel/Word and Explorer.

treetops treetops said:

Start button, download folder, firefox and a very cluttered desktop. Core temp on the far right so I can see what im running at .

Teko03 said:

MediaMonkey, Internet Explorer 9, Mozilla FireFox, Windows Explorer, Sticky Notes

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

As previously said, things are indexed. I only really have things pinned if they are going to be open most of the time anyway. I use cmd and notepad a LOT at work, and they still aren't pinned (I prefer to WIN + type). So, this is what I have at home:

Explorer, MediaPlayer (or whichever), Opera. Further down, I have the Recycle Bin, and in the notifications area I have Steam pinned.

dawei1993 said:

Chrome, wmp, calculator, my documents, notepad, skype, recycle bin, microsoft office,

fimbles fimbles said:

Quote "is there a shortcut windows programmed key to get to my documents just as there is a shortcut for my computer ???"

Right click documents, send to desktop (create shortcut) drag shortcut to taskbar

IE9,external hdd, not much else.

jizzyburnizzy said:

Google chrome...thats it. no desktop icons. I like a clean desktop