Opera 12.10 adds Windows 8/OS X features, Chrome 23 gets DNT

By on November 6, 2012, 5:30 PM

Opera has released an update today, bringing a handful of new features including improved support for Microsoft and Apple's platforms. Opera users who have purchased new touch-enabled Windows 8 devices will be happy to find enhanced support for finger input. The release notes mention basic touch controls for Windows 7 and Windows 8 classic (presumably referring to the desktop interface).

Folks running Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion can also look forward to some new features, including alerts from Opera in the new Notifications Center and improved support for the high-resolution "Retina" displays on newer MacBooks and iMacs. Opera 12.10 also adds a button to the address bar that makes use of Mountain Lion's integrated social sharing functionality. Other noteworthy changes include:

• Support for the SPDY protocol to improve and secure connections. Gmail and Twitter have already started using SPDY to supplement HTTP.
  • The WebSocket API is supported and turned on by default in Opera 12.10. Opera now also supports ICC color profiles and color management.
  • Support for Flexbox and and @supports to give website developers more control of how their website appear in the end users’ browsers.

Meanwhile, Google has also unleashed a new build of its browser. Alhough it's not as significant as Opera's update, Chrome 23 finally introduces support for the Do Not Track (DNT) protocol, which has already been added to Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera and Safari. Google also touted the performance improvements garnered by recently enabling GPU-accelerated video decoding for Chrome on Windows -- particularly in battery life, which lasted about 25% longer with GPU acceleration in the company's tests.

darkzelda said:

Opera is the best browser, no doubt about it!

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Opera is the best browser, no doubt about it!

Learning to like it but a few things not as good as firefox such as noscript, https everywhere and flashblock.

Noscript: [link]

https everywhere: [link]

flashblock: native to Opera

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I only upgraded to it on my Mac, and I am sorely disappointed I did. Wish I was still using Time Machine for backups because 12.10 is using 35-45% CPU just sitting there doing nothing and gmail refuses to load (can't even get the login page up). I'm a little timid to update on my PC just because if I lost Opera on both computers I use regularly I'd be in a world of hurt. Hopefully on my Mac I can get by with Safari long enough for 12.11 or something to come out.

@ SNGX1275

Testing 12.10 on a low-end Windows 7 desktop (provided work computer) and I'm having no such idle CPU issues. Can anyone else test this out to see if it's OS related?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

The society of Opera people is like that of Linux - they are convinced, self-proclaimed #1, but nobody cares about them, to which there always good reasons.

In my practice I pulled away from Linux twice, and from Opera 3 times. The combination of Win7 + Chrome is the best today, don't waste your time trying to convert me again - won't work this time

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

@ SNGX1275

I couldn't find anything online with other people having problems with gmail, but I did see some complaining about CPU usage. So I'm just timid to try it on Win 7 when 12.02 is working fine.