Final issue of Xbox World reveals details on Microsoft's Xbox 720

By on November 19, 2012, 7:30 AM

A couple of weeks ago we reported that PlayStation: The Official Magazine would see its last issue roll off the presses this holiday season. Publishing house Future wasn’t done there, however, as they also axed a few more gaming magazines in the process including British-based Xbox World and PSM3.

Not wanting to disappoint fans, the editor in chief of Xbox World decided to go out with a bang by releasing some new details about Microsoft’s upcoming Xbox 720. And by new details, we mean a full 8-page feature on the gaming console.

Editor in chief Dan Dawkins told CVG that his publication has been at the cutting edge of Durango (codename for the 720) coverage for the past 12 months. He feels that unless something drastic happens, everything they reveal in the magazine’s final issue will be what we see at E3 next June.

The magazine says that current developer kits have four hardware cores with each one being divided into four logical cores. The early systems also reportedly carry 8GB of RAM, the same capacity that Sony’s PlayStation 4 could end up with.

The final product is expected to ship with directional audio, Kinect 2.0, Blu-ray disc support, TV-in and –out, a new innovative gamepad and at some point, augmented reality complete with supporting glasses.

The publication doesn’t believe that Xbox 720 will be actual name of the console. Instead, they seem to think that simply “Xbox” will do. Either way, we should likely know the full details by the middle of next year at E3.

gamoniac said:

Nice looking console there. Simple and clean.

yorro said:

Looks like an external hard disk.

Critica1Hit said:

Nice. I'm just feeling a bit uneasy about the cooling aspect. I hope there are quite a few or ample vents in the back of the console. And yes I know this may not be the end product

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Finally a removeable hard drive! YES!!!!!

treeski treeski said:

It looks really good. I'm glad to see the blu-ray capable drive. What are the latest rumors with regard to a release date? Can expect to see it by Christmas of next year?

4 people like this | Guest said:

Uh-oh... rectangular and with round corners... Microsoft is asking for it!!!

The first 360 came with a removable hard drive...

The hard drive was already removable...

fimbles fimbles said:

Looks like my luggage!

fallenjt fallenjt said:

Uh-oh... rectangular and with round corners... Microsoft is asking for it!!!

Don't start it again, stupid. It's so old.

g1i1ch g1i1ch said:

You guys, this isn't Xbox 720. Can't believe publications would post this stuff and take advantage of all your hopes. This is based on leaked documents that came out a long time ago and it was more of a proposal not an actual description of what's to come.

The console in the picture is also just a mockup made by xbox magazine based on Microsoft's current *taste* in hardware design. Probably none of this is real and only represents one of the many paths Microsoft could take.

(summary) Nothing new here guys!

Its not old, your just a apple fan boy who is sick of hearing it!

howzz1854 said:

My purchase of this next gen Xbox all hingest on whether the platform will directly or indirectly support MKV with lossless capability, however, I am not holding my breath. it's gonna take a lot for Microsft to completely switch me from HTPC to their Xbox. although I do have to say the inclusion of TV in is nice of them.

Theres always been a removable hard drive...

If it actually does have 4 threads per core then the CPU is most likely POWER7 based. That's a good thing.

There's always been a removable hard drive...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

OK to everyone who said "theres already a removable hard drive" I meant you can now put any hard drive you want in, like the PS3, when my friend upgraded his PS3 from an 80GB slow thing to a western digital scorpio Black 750GB, loading times in some games litterally halved or even faster, it was insane how much faster Grand Turismo loaded, it actually became fun to play since we wern't sat on the loading screens for minutes at a time.

Thats what I meant xD

1 person liked this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

G1i1ch might be right, but that doesn't mean this console is a fluke. When a company is doing something like this they need to be very careful, there is a lot riding on Xbox's reputation. The only way to get real feedback from the community isn't to gather 400 people and do a test, you release the damn thing into the wild and record the feedback. I believe that is what Microsoft is doing now.

They did it with its specs about a year ago and now they are doing it with the design.

Consoles are money pigs that take thier profit in on long cycle's so I don't see Mircrosoft pushing the hardware limits, although I do hope this 720 has Radeon 7850 like power at minimum.

It already had a removable hard drive......

Tygerstrike said:

Ok all specs aside. Its features the modern gamer wants. I like the TV in/out aspect. However, when I buy a game I plan on playing it for a very long time. Will the new xbox allow for backwards compatibility? Will you be able to port your saves over? Is the damn power brick going to burn out after 3 months? I will keep a open mind where the new xbox is concerned, but I really hope Microsoft has learned its lessons from previous consol releases. Make plenty, because everyone will want one. And make it something that is going to enhance our lives, not complicate it.

howzz1854 said:

People enough with the removal hard drive....

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

(summary) Nothing new here guys!

So you knew about the quad core with HT, 8GB RAM, Blu Ray, and the new game pad design..? Where's the link, I wanna see!

Said ps3 fanboy

Haha forreal.. that guy doesnt know anything.;)

dcnc123 dcnc123 said:

If its hardisk is sata3 compatible then add some 6gb/s ssd's in it... for sure game loading time would be very fast

I want to see the "innovative" new controller. (Please don't change this pice of art.)

GPU and RAM are low. If can't support 3D in 4k resolution at 60 fps will be fail.

Blue Falcon said:

"If can't support 3D in 4k resolution at 60 fps will be fail."

That's a joke and a half of a post. No single PC GPU can do 4K @ 60 fps in modern games, not even GTX690. That GPU costs $1000 and uses nearly 300W of power. Outputting 4K resolution (I.e., to a 4K capable TV) is not the same as being able to play games at 4K @ 60 fps.

Regardless, the most important improvements in graphical fidelity will come from more complex/realistic AI, physics, DX11 features such as global illumination, contact hardening shadows, tessellation, higher resolution textures, real-time area lights/HDAO, more complex particle effects, etc. The only people who care about resolution only are noobs. Resolution is usually the least important factor in graphical quality and is overhyped like crazy. It would be far more preferable to have a beautiful 1080P game than an ugly 4K game. Adding pixels doesn't improve graphics without having next generation art assets and graphical effects. Upscale Quake 4 or Black Ops 2 to 4K and it still looks ugly. The complexity of polygons in the models, facial & character animations, all have to improve to push the next generation of realism.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Haha, 120fps at 4K resolution? That's hilarious.

Because there's a market flooded with 4K TVs right now... right..?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Finally a removeable hard drive! YES!!!!!

sarcasm?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Thats what I meant xD

but still, didnt they all use 2.5" hard drive disks? which would virtually mean what you just said would apply to all the (current) gaming systems?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Thats what I meant xD

Sorry... I really just mean the PS3 and xbox360. I know the Wii just doesnt count.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Thats what I meant xD

Yes they did all use 2.5" hard drives but the PS3 came with some crap Hitachi drives that were horrendously slow (newer models came with half decent ones though) and the Xbox hard drives have been crap up until the newer design, I've got the 120GB Elite model and even deleting a 4GB file takes it a good 30 seconds or so to sort itself out and installing games onto the hard drive doesn't help loading times like it does on the newer xboxes.

Thats what I meant, If this Xbox allows you to use any hard drive (an SSD? Would be awesome!) then This would improve load times xD

Sunny87 said:

I agree entirely, this is not officially announced and publishers want to sell you their magazine no matter what rubbish and lies they put into it, it's like newspapers look at the Sun in the UK, absolute rubbish and the people that write that stuff should taken outside and...well Jeremy Clarkson will tell you the rest.

But I agree at least a 7850 but I'll be honest I don't even think that will happen I think they are focusing on smart glass, I can't see them putting in Blu-ray either I just don't think they will want to fund the competition.

Blue Falcon said:

I think they will go with BluRay because it would take 1 key feature away from Sony and make them equal. Also, if MS wants to position the machine as an entertainment hub, BluRay capability is a significant feature.

For specs, I am going to throw a wild guess:

CPU: 4 Core 4 Threaded PowerPC 7+ on 32nm at 3.0-3.5ghz

GPU: HD7950M (this is a 1280 Shader 700mhz desktop Pitcairn in mobile form), 2GB GDDR5

[link]

This is built on 28nm and uses about 50W of power

System RAM: 4GB

For storage, I would much prefer no HDD, just minimal space like Wii U. They can leave leave in the case and a slot for a 2.5 inch hard drive but let us buy any HDD / SSD we want on an open market. This would reduce the cost of the system and allow us to get far better HDD options than MS's proprietary solution.

Damn...this thing is ugly!!! Am seeing another RROd looming!

Ehm, the rectangle with rounded corner thing is still very much at play, check with Apple Inc. they just secured a patent for it.

Edito Edito said:

I saw what u did there lol

Uh-oh... rectangular and with round corners... Microsoft is asking for it!!!

I really don't care about all the hubbub.. I just want a new ******* console :) 360 is over and done and im sure most of you would agree. I actually agree with the new console not supporting older games because that will just force people to design new games and keep the technology moving forward. Why put regular unleaded in a Ferrari?? I hate the rumor aspect on any new technology because it is never correct but I must say, it is very interesting reading! :)