Final issue of Xbox World reveals details on Microsoft's Xbox 720

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A couple of weeks ago we reported that PlayStation: The Official Magazine would see its last issue roll off the presses this holiday season. Publishing house Future wasn’t done there, however, as they also axed a few more gaming magazines in the process including British-based Xbox World and PSM3.

Not wanting to disappoint fans, the editor in chief of Xbox World decided to go out with a bang by releasing some new details about Microsoft’s upcoming Xbox 720. And by new details, we mean a full 8-page feature on the gaming console.

Editor in chief Dan Dawkins told CVG that his publication has been at the cutting edge of Durango (codename for the 720) coverage for the past 12 months. He feels that unless something drastic happens, everything they reveal in the magazine’s final issue will be what we see at E3 next June.

The magazine says that current developer kits have four hardware cores with each one being divided into four logical cores. The early systems also reportedly carry 8GB of RAM, the same capacity that Sony’s PlayStation 4 could end up with.

The final product is expected to ship with directional audio, Kinect 2.0, Blu-ray disc support, TV-in and –out, a new innovative gamepad and at some point, augmented reality complete with supporting glasses.

xbox world microsoft xbox xbox 720

The publication doesn’t believe that Xbox 720 will be actual name of the console. Instead, they seem to think that simply “Xbox” will do. Either way, we should likely know the full details by the middle of next year at E3.

Permalink to story.

Nice. I'm just feeling a bit uneasy about the cooling aspect. I hope there are quite a few or ample vents in the back of the console. And yes I know this may not be the end product :)

It looks really good. I'm glad to see the blu-ray capable drive. What are the latest rumors with regard to a release date? Can expect to see it by Christmas of next year?

You guys, this isn't Xbox 720. Can't believe publications would post this stuff and take advantage of all your hopes. This is based on leaked documents that came out a long time ago and it was more of a proposal not an actual description of what's to come.

The console in the picture is also just a mockup made by xbox magazine based on Microsoft's current *taste* in hardware design. Probably none of this is real and only represents one of the many paths Microsoft could take.

(summary) Nothing new here guys!

My purchase of this next gen Xbox all hingest on whether the platform will directly or indirectly support MKV with lossless capability, however, I am not holding my breath. it's gonna take a lot for Microsft to completely switch me from HTPC to their Xbox. although I do have to say the inclusion of TV in is nice of them.

If it actually does have 4 threads per core then the CPU is most likely POWER7 based. That's a good thing.

OK to everyone who said "theres already a removable hard drive" I meant you can now put any hard drive you want in, like the PS3, when my friend upgraded his PS3 from an 80GB slow thing to a western digital scorpio Black 750GB, loading times in some games litterally halved or even faster, it was insane how much faster Grand Turismo loaded, it actually became fun to play since we wern't sat on the loading screens for minutes at a time.

Thats what I meant xD

G1i1ch might be right, but that doesn't mean this console is a fluke. When a company is doing something like this they need to be very careful, there is a lot riding on Xbox's reputation. The only way to get real feedback from the community isn't to gather 400 people and do a test, you release the damn thing into the wild and record the feedback. I believe that is what Microsoft is doing now.
They did it with its specs about a year ago and now they are doing it with the design.
Consoles are money pigs that take thier profit in on long cycle's so I don't see Mircrosoft pushing the hardware limits, although I do hope this 720 has Radeon 7850 like power at minimum.

Ok all specs aside. Its features the modern gamer wants. I like the TV in/out aspect. However, when I buy a game I plan on playing it for a very long time. Will the new xbox allow for backwards compatibility? Will you be able to port your saves over? Is the damn power brick going to burn out after 3 months? I will keep a open mind where the new xbox is concerned, but I really hope Microsoft has learned its lessons from previous consol releases. Make plenty, because everyone will want one. And make it something that is going to enhance our lives, not complicate it.

You guys, this isn't Xbox 720. Can't believe publications would post this stuff and take advantage of all your hopes. This is based on leaked documents that came out a long time ago and it was more of a proposal not an actual description of what's to come.

The console in the picture is also just a mockup made by xbox magazine based on Microsoft's current *taste* in hardware design. Probably none of this is real and only represents one of the many paths Microsoft could take.

(summary) Nothing new here guys!

So you knew about the quad core with HT, 8GB RAM, Blu Ray, and the new game pad design..? Where's the link, I wanna see!

Back