Chinese chip maker hopes to rival Intel, AMD, ARM with custom CPU

By on November 27, 2012, 4:30 PM

China is preparing to unveil details about an 8-core processor designed and developed entirely within the country. The CPU is expected to eventually challenge powerhouses AMD, ARM and Intel in the PC, server and supercomputer categories.

Development on the chip initiative began in 2001 by Loongson Technology, a group that is partially funded by the Chinese Academy of Science. The first processor to roll off the assembly line was the 32-bit Godson-1. It was followed by the 64-bit Godson years later; those chips have been used in low-power notebooks since 2008. Just last year, the Shenwei supercomputer went online powered by this same design.

The latest revision is the Godson-3B1500, a chip that has a clock speed of 1.35GHz and is able to churn out 172.8 gigaflops of performance while consuming just 40 watts of power. The CPU is being manufactured using a 32nm process and contains 1.14 billion transistors.

A preview from the International Solid-State Circuits Conference to be held in San Francisco starting February 17 shows the new chip is about 35 percent more power efficient than the previous Godson-3B design built on a 65nm process. It has nearly double the number of transistors as well.

It’s worth pointing out that Loongson CPUs aren’t compatible with Microsoft Windows which will likely lead to lower adoption rates. Of course at this stage in the game, there are plenty of platforms that are very successful without Windows – just think mobile.

We are told that full details on this CPU will be unveiled at the ISSCC early next year.

1 person liked this | Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

Just about time for new players in the market

I hope a new company will pop up in the GPU market too

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Not gonna buy it, but at least it will lower prices of other CPUs.

1 person liked this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

I think I'd loose my Fed security clearances if I brought that into my home..

I had enough with chinese products already..

Without reading any post, nor even the article.. I will go on to say "thievery".

Only because I walk the soil.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

For the world's sake, I hope the CPU sucks.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

This CPU is a fully-licenced MIPS-compatible CPU. A quick look at Wikipedia will give you the facts. As opposed to speculation and silly generalizations.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Only because I walk the soil.

Can you elaborate?

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

Made in China.

seriously people still use this "made in china" remarks .. almost everything is made in china now there is lots of quality products made in china

can you tell me how many made in (non China/Asia) tech products do you own ?...

ikesmasher said:

can you tell me how many made in (non China/Asia) tech products do you own ?...

I think you're missing the point of why people are so against things made in china.

1 person liked this | Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

oky then can you tell me what I missed :P ?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

oky then can you tell me what I missed :p ?

The number one reason, China is not the only country that can produce products. Which is why I am appalled at the idea that most everything has a "Made in China" label attached. I wish Import and Export taxes was so high it would force local manufacturing if possible.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

For the world's sake, I hope the CPU sucks.

Why? Competition can't be a bad thing, especially as it's becoming more and more of an Intel monopoly nowadays in the desktop segment.

Have a read of this very interesting NYTimes article, it's not all about cost or import taxes or currency manipulation, etc.

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

local manufacturing if possible.

lets face it Europeans/Americans wont work like the Chinese not as fast as china not as cheap as china and quality wont be better its not as simple as that high taxes = higher prices etc.. bad for biz :P

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I will choose not to respond to that statement, which I find just as appalling as my previous statement.

Where ever the product is made the quality will be the same but china has the most workforce in the world so they can make more and faster, also china has more resources for making if u plan on making the product outside asia the cost of production will be higher making retail price higher is stupid idea to build it within there own country business wise unless there rich in resources and have a large workforce with lower salery then normal cause there country has alot of unemployed. sadly china population to large for there own good in some ways

ikesmasher said:

oky then can you tell me what I missed :p ?

IDK where you live, but me and many, many other Americans have a hard time sending any much more money to China than factories, companies, and the government already have.

1 person liked this | Zoltan Head said:

I think Chinese chips are superior in some ways - they are often crisper, arguably less fatty, and a more uniform golden-brown than the traditional "British Fish & Chip Shop" type, but perhaps still lacking the authentic flavour of the latter.

Pan Wah said:

Can't agree with you, thin crispy fries for me every time!

...and for those of us not living under the yoke in the bible belt, the location that goods are manufactured in is irrelevant.

Zoltan Head said:

Can't agree with you, thin crispy fries for me every time!

Each to their own - I think the "Chip Shop" chip maybe tastes better because it is traditionally fried in lard, therefore is unhealthy and so a little "naughty"? Certainly the location that they are fried in is irrelevant (bible belt, China, Steeple Bumpstead etc. etc.) assuming the presence of a deep-fat frier.

Pan Wah said:

Yay Zoltan! Any views on which chips are best with eggs? (in case you live under the yolk in the bible belt)