Weekend Open Forum: What's the oldest part in your PC?

By on November 30, 2012, 6:30 PM

Although most of us upgrade our systems regularly, it's generally uncommon to replace every single component -- even for a fresh build. Instead, parts less crucial to daily performance such as optical drives, bulk storage, cases or even power supplies are recycled over the years, serving tours through several hardware generations. Likewise with peripherals, which often remain deployed until they're busted or totally obsolete.

This week, we want to hear about the parts of your PC that have been on duty for the longest period. On my end, I think the Thermaltake Tai Chi chassis is the oldest component still in use (it's also my most regretted tech purchase), having been bought in 2005. As close second and third place picks, I recently removed a decade old 40GB Maxtor hard drive and a floppy drive from my system, though they weren't actually being used.

ikesmasher said:

Phenom 9550 on one of them.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

HDD, Seagate Barracuda from around 2005.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

.. everything new every 18-24 months..

Pretty much a tie between the 3ghz p4 prescott and geforce 6200OC video card, and maybe the 512MB sticks of ddr400 ram. why fix what aint broke?

the hardware has been through a few psu's and hard drives, and doesnt seem to have any signs of giving up.

The power cord! Last power supply didn't come with a cord.

bluebob951 bluebob951 said:

Hitachi deskstar 1Tb, think I got it in 2008...been through a few builds.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

Don't use my PC much anymore because of a mobo problem, but the oldest part it has is either the NF-8 motherboard or the Athlon 64 processor.

trparky said:

A 500 GB hard drive, that's the oldest part in this machine of mine. The newest however is an Intel 520 Series SSD followed quickly by an Intel Ivybridge Core i5.

misor misor said:

A 320gb seagate ide hdd which I seldom connect to my pentium dual core computer.

when it's connected, windows 7 login screen appears in ~15 minutes.

when it's disconnected, windows 7 login screen appears in ~52 seconds.

(although I have a windows 98se computer with 32mb edo ram on a red fox mobo + pentium 166mhz + 2.1gb hdd; still working the last time I checked it, two years ago.)

Intel Pentium III processor, it helps a lot when I can use my cellphone

6 people like this | supertech supertech said:

The user lol

free4rm said:

Good one supertech!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

WD RE2 hdd (1TB), and three Delta AFB1212 fans...all about two years old.

gobbybobby said:

Phenom 9550 on one of them.

Your OLDEST

god my system must be getting old... thats one of the newest component of my PC. Trusty 9550 Quad core, overclocked to a 2.5, does the job with most games. Runs Planetside 2 for me along with a GTS 250.

I just upgraded my PC again and the only parts left remaining from my '05 build are the Antec Neo 500w PSU and my Viewsonic VX2025 monitor which is only a secondary to my Dell U2711. Despite having a GTX680, this PSU is more than enough and no reason to swap it out.

acerace acerace said:

Well, the oldest part that I have is the ATI Radeon 7200 DDR, I don't remember who's the manufacturer.

Second is, the Geforce 4 MX 4000, again, don't remember the manufacturer.

Third is the frickin, friggin slow as hell Pentium 4 540 @ 3.0 GHz that comes with Dell OptiPlex GX280, which I'm still using. Boy, that thing drives me crazy.

1 person liked this | psycros psycros said:

Sound Blaster Audigy II that's been in every system I have since probably 2002. Have yet to find an on-board sound chip that does 5.1 correctly. Even sadder, I'm using the last Daniel K drivers since Creative couldn't be bothered to debug their software.

My Antec 850 PSU, the sucker's been going on for nearly 6 years now in 2 rigs. great stuff.

WaveZero said:

My second LCD monitor I been using for over 8 years now. Used to cost over 500 dollars just for it, 21" 1440x900

ikesmasher said:

Your OLDEST

heh, thats in an old gateway prebuilt...xD

Just got an old one from my bro with a core 2 quad and a 9600GT. Lookin foward to this one once I replace the mobo.

distantreality said:

Hmm that is a toss up either the Asus P5k deluxe wifi board or the e6850 core2duo conroe

isapc isapc said:

My Compro TV card.It has survived 3 upgrades.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Got Athlon XP 2000+ on MSI Via KT333 and 256 MB ram :D

Form my desktop right now perhaps a dvd drive and 320 GB WD HD.

Chris Cornell Chris Cornell said:

Would have to be two cast iron/rubber harddisk-trays from around 2002. They look like #&%, but keep my Velociraptor 600Gb and Caviar Black 1Tb at nearly silent operation.

I upgrade hardware one bit at a time, where an upgrade is needed to be able to play AAA-games with all the eyecandy on and loads of A.A. and A.F. So my hardware rarely gets old. As I donate my "old" hardware to family and friends, people tend to love my passion for new hardware :P

My Plextor PlexCombo 20/10/40-12A. Not sure, but it must be at least 10 years old by now.

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I can't say for sure what the oldest part of my PC, but I can certainly tell you what the newest part is.

I walked by the machine and banged into the open tray of the DVD drive. The drive tray of course, jammed.

After which, I "coerced" it into closing, by landing a ferocious "dim mak" shot, dead center of the stuck in the open position offending part.

Since I keep spare parts for bizarre contingencies such as this, the winner for "newest part" is, "a Sony Optiarc DVD burner".

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Brand new system with all new parts since May 2012. However, monitor, keyboard, and mouse are carry overs from my Socket 939 days. Still even they were upgrades from the original build.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Oldest part? That would be my OmniKey Ultra keyboard. It's now has an AT to PS2 to USB adapter, but it is a great keyboard.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

My oldest is probably a first gen i7-955 (for $500 some odd dollars!!!) I think the first part I purchased for my current build. That and the motherboard; Asus P6t Deluxe V2

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I recently mixed and matched components so I could build two desktops from the single workstation I had. With this I'm not 100% sure what's the oldest, but my safest bets is one Dell 27" monitor (2707WFP) and an Enermax 600W PSU that's still way better than anything else I can buy locally.

My whole machine is old but perfect for me (and willing to bet perfect for most anyone)... never have needed to upgrade, its does everything perfect and new isn't any faster for general use.

e8400, 4 gigs ram, 2 TB drive, gts250 etc... perfect machine for me

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

e8400, 4 gigs ram, 2 TB drive, gts250 etc... perfect machine for me

I'll see your E8400 and lower you a P-4 519, (3.06 Ghz single core, single thread) This in an old eMachine T-5026. It boots, surfs the web, and does a great job of running Photoshop Elements 5. Bought it for myself for Valentine's Day, 2005! The oldest part of that rig is the rig itself

The honest answer to the original question, (in the "mix and match sense), sort of depends on where I happen to be sitting. In this case, it's in front of a G31/ E6300 (Pentium dual core) home built. So the oldest part of this rig, is the raggedy a** keyboard I've borrowed from the eMachine.

misor misor said:

...

Second is, the Geforce 4 MX 4000...

lol, I remember I still have my nvidia mx440 agp 8x.

Alvaro Alvaro said:

My case. I'm not even sure when I bought it.

mrtraver said:

I still have my 74GB Raptor in my Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case from my 2005 build, with a 4 year old Core 2 Duo system, a 480GTX, and an SSD and a 640GB drive for data. But nearly everything else from that original build now resides in a newer case and is my wife's main PC. I did replace the GPU and I upgraded the RAM and CPU when it was a few years old, but it still has its DFI socket 939 mobo, OCZ modular power supply, and the original DVD burner.

The case, big enough to fit the latest crappy video-cards (they sell on meter these days you know). There is no reason to replace it, ever!

TechGamer TechGamer said:

To be honest im Still using a p4 3ghz and geforce 6200 im being so hard on myself since I pretty much have to wait for next june until I upgrade to a probable intel i5-3570k and a whole new computer componment setup tho I can say that the oldest part of the pc is the processor :S

CFSG1 CFSG1 said:

My TV-tuner; a PCI pinnacle pctv 110i from 2005

Thermal Take Xaser III case

Strong and built to last

Been through the Intel 478 thing

Now old but new 775 usb3 lol.

I am keeping this case, as it is able to hold 11 Hard Drives

Some things just don't change.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

...

Second is, the Geforce 4 MX 4000...

lol, I remember I still have my nvidia mx440 agp 8x.

I still have one of those too, though not actively running in anything.I'd have my audigy II ZS in one of my computers if it were not it being burnt out... My two main computers are 2 years old or newer so nothing in there... AH my laptop, It's a T43p that still runs and I used it once last month. Got it in 2005. =o

NeoFlux said:

Two 80Gb seagate hardrives setup as RAID for a bit of speed to store games and unimportant stuff. Will never know when one might die...

Porters said:

The power cord! Last power supply didn't come with a cord.

Same! Mine is from a long gone windows ME system, back from the 90's

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

My GPU: Sapphire HD 5850

Gonna get a new one in a few weeks time.

A 120gb samsung hdd from 2004 and a lg dvd recorder from around 2008

Tehnaz Tehnaz said:

PC Power & Cooling 750watt psu since 2007.... using it to run my new-ish gaming rig with the xfx 7970

I payed alot when I got this but its never given me problems **knock on wood**

scumbag said:

Exactly the same as me right down to the drivers.

I also have the front panel which looks very cool

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Seagate Barracuda 200 GB HDD don't remember when I bought it, but it was long time ago.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Probably the DVD drive, followed by an i7 920 CPU and mobo which are 3 years old. Never really found a good reason to upgrade the CPU.

emmzo said:

That'll be my Creative Audigy soundcard. I have had it for seven years now I can't say I'll ever need another.

Pioy said:

Oldest piece of hardware I have in my PC is case. It remembers old Celeron Wilamette, around 2002. 2nd oldest - if somebody considered if case is hardware - CDRW burner, fabuluous LiteOn model It's still connected due to my AM3 motherboard having an IDE controller.

But I have also some older hardware at my home, some slot 1/socket 370/socket A, and I also have a working PC based on P90 and EDO RAMM.