LogMeIn unveils pricing for Dropbox competitor, 40% off during beta

By on December 18, 2012, 5:30 PM

LogMeIn has announced pricing options for its upcoming Dropbox competitor, Cubby, which is currently in beta and due to launch sometime in early 2013. Introduced in April, beta users have been granted up to 5GB of free cloud storage with the potential to earn another gigabyte for each referral made -- a substantial boost over the 2GB of free space and 500MB per referral currently offered by Dropbox.

LogMeIn has confirmed that this tier -- now called "Cubby Basic" -- will exist when the service goes live. If you need more space than the freebie option offers, the company has announced a paid tier called "Cubby Pro," which will start at $6.99 a month for 100GB of online storage. To get that price, however, you'll have to pay for the full year upfront ($83.88). Monthly rates will be set at $9.99 ($119.88 a year).

Those prices are already competitive with Dropbox's 100GB service, which also goes for $9.99 a month or $99.00 for a full year, but LogMeIn is running a beta sale that cuts 40% off Cubby Pro. With that discount, you're looking at only $47.88 ($3.99 a month) when paying for a year of 100GB of space, $95.76 ($7.98 a month) for 200GB and so on up to 1TB, which costs $478.80 a year ($39.90 a month).

Cubby Pro has several extras not present on Basic accounts, including a feature known as "Cubby Locks" that provides user-held encryption keys, unified account management and billing, access to level 2 support, as well as "DirectSync," which lets you sync an unlimited amount of data across devices without using cloud storage. The service has native clients for Windows, Mac OS X, iOS and Android.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Do we really need more cloud storage providers? Google Drive, Skydrive, Dropbox, Boxee (or something)..

What do you guys use, and why?

1 person liked this | Cota Cota said:

I use external devices, why? because they are more cheap and I can carry them at pleasure whit a very large transfer speed.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

I use cloud for things that I'd like to access from anywhere. Stuff like resume, travel insurance documents, etc..

Arris Arris said:

Recenly switched to using box(had used Dropbox for a few things in the past), as the Nexus 4 phone from LG gets you 50GB free storage with them.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I use dropbox although I only have 4GB of space available. I primarily use it to keep my research documents/data up there. I've seen far too many people lose important data relevant to their thesis or dissertation because of a hard drive failure. With Dropbox I have it sync'd to 3 computers, and then if something catastrophic happened like my house burned down, I'd still have a cloud copy I could get.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Only thing that turns me off of that is no Linux support. That's why I'm still with Dropbox using the free account with a bunch of referrals. It runs on all my Windows and Linux computers.