Apple and Intel rumored to be developing an iWatch for 2013

By on December 27, 2012, 11:00 AM

Apple and Intel are rumored to be working on a smartwatch that could be ready for production sometime in the first half of 2013. Some elements of this rumor do make sense from a business standpoint but others seem a bit too far-fetched to fall into the plausible category.

According to German blog Mobile Geeks by way of a Chinese site, the two companies are building a watch with a 1.5-inch PMOLED display created by RiTDisplays. The watch face will feature ITO-coated glass while the watch itself will connect to other devices using low-power Bluetooth 4.0.

If you recall, Apple’s old iPod nano gained a significant following due to the fact that it could be used as a watch when paired with one of many compatible watch bands and lest we forget the Pebble customizable watch from Kickstarter. The fact that Apple recently redesigned the nano could be a clue that an iWatch may be in the pipeline.

The confusing part of this rumor, however, is Intel’s involvement. Apple has been keen on decreasing dependence on outside help as of late, especially with regards to processor development. An iWatch wouldn’t need a powerful processor as CPU-intensive tasks could be remotely performed on the paired device instead.

Smartwatches have gained a tiny bit of traction as of late but they’re by no means mainstream at this point. If you aren’t familiar with the concept, a smartwatch can connect to your smartphone, laptop or tablet and allow you to do things like read a text message or control music directly from your wrist without having to pull out your device.

Do you think smartwatches will eventually catch on with mainstream consumers or are they simply a passing fad that nobody will think twice about in a year or two?

misor misor said:

Well, if it has at least a heart rate monitor (like some timex models), then health buffs will buy it.

but apple should drop the iBrand already... it's bordering on *** already...

1 person liked this | Guest said:

iAgree

iDiotic

iStopItAlready

So... everyone is working on a watch like this. I predicted the same exact thing 2 years ago... (that within 5 years most people will be **** tracy.)

Watch Apple try and patent it... lol

Nima304 said:

I think it'd be great. A watch that could tell you the forecast, could display text messages, and even display health-related information would combine a large number of devices, and would place them all in an easily-reached place. My only question is about water-proofing and battery life. I wouldn't buy this if I had to plug it into a wall at the end of every day, and if I couldn't take it into water.

Johnny Utah said:

In before hipsters commenting on how this is revolutionary. Blah whatever. Apple is the devil.

Me too I rip off small KickStarter companies.

Attention all watch manufacturers... get your attorneys at the ready, as Apple will soon apply for a for the circular or round watch format.

Tygerstrike said:

In our ever increasing tech world a simple device that would integrate multiple devices to a single screen would be a bit of a godsend. I know many ppl who have to carry a backpack just to lug around all thier devices and hook up equiptment. This does have the potential to be a very useful idea. However its Apple making it, so it will only work with Apple products and inevitably will fall off the market unless someone else finds a way to make it work across multiple platforms. Great idea, its just sad it came from Apple. If its true.

p51d007 said:

I guess the steam has run out of the iEngine, and they need to produce something that no one will want, but will generate the hype to get the iSheep to line up for a week in advance.

I thought no one really bought watches anymore, depending on the phone for time keeping.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

I wonder if Apple will try to sue the universe for using it's patented time constant; Every time someone differentiates a first order LTI they will owe Apple $10..

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I'd get it if it cost less than $100, which probably isn't likely lol

I think this would be great. Blue tooth celluar, facetime, watch, health device, ipod music, all in one... can you say "home run" product. But would depend on price. Some stupid fools spends hundreds on a watch becasue of a name but now a phone can actually do something is great and worth $299+. I would buy.

dotVezz said:

Facetime on a watch would be cool...

Another revolutionary product by Apple!

No more old-fashioned mechanical watches made from the third world country like Switzerland, where workers have to make watches individually by hand and sell the product at an overpriced rate.

Apple stock should go over $700/share easily like it did with iPhone 5 for the awesome product design...

I think Apple is really run by Gene Simmons? iCoffin is next?

1 person liked this | LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

This'll go the same as all apple products. They will be labeled as "revolutionary" and "bold", and their product will sell like hotcakes for it's first few years (excuse me, "generations" , and by the time the iwatch 4 comes out, people will finally realize that there are better offers available (in this case, likely Android) and the product will go down in popularity.

Wow, I never realized how inconvenient it is to pull my phone from my pocket until now.

It doesn't look like Apple made this, it's really ugly and pointless.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

It's very simple. If you watch the TV show Star trek you will understand where they get their ideas from. If I was Android I would tell my RD department to watch the show and come up with ideas on how to match those gadgets.

Mamoon69 said:

Sony made this smart watch before Apple even think about it. Sony has been selling their smart wrist watch several months ago.

[link]

OMG...

People will buy it because they think Apple makes them someone. Yet, these types of watches have existed forever. Ever hear about D!ck Tracy ..?

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ummmm who wears watches anymore besides nurses and doctors?

Intel + apple developing iWatch..

Hmm, I wonder what OS will be used? iOS or WP8?

Will be popular if:

Waterproof,

Long battery life,

Wifi/3g,

Siri enabled/Voice controled.

Camikazi said:

Intel + apple developing iWatch..

Hmm, I wonder what OS will be used? iOS or WP8?

Considering that neither Apple nor Intel are owned by MS, so there is no reason for WP8, I would say they will use iOS.

ravy said:

Sony had that for like a year now. Lawsuit incoming.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Questions:

Will this iWatch have a touch screen?

And do the watches have touch screen, that everyone says have been around for years?

What about Bluetooth 4.0, does the watches that have been around for years have Bluetooth?

Personally I have a watch that I have been wearing for nearly 30 years. I honestly can't imagine why I would want to upgrade to a watch that would clearly have a shorter life span. Anyone that knows anything about technology, know that features will become obsolete and dis-functional as technology evolves. This evolution will render this watch useless within less than ten years, even if the watch itself has managed to last. If this iWatch comes with a touch screen, I don't see the watch physically lasting over 3 years before the screen is completely wore out. I promise a device strapped to your wrist will take on more damage than a device in your pocket.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Case closed! (pun intended).

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Case closed! (pun intended).
Wasn't that an iCompass? lol

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wasn't that an iCompass? lol
I fear that question will likely be fielded by Apple's patent lawyers and left for the U.S.District courts to decide....

Could I interest you in something a bit more "outdoorsy"? This will probably become the, "iWoodsman" model.

These type of watches would really give Apple's faulty product apologists something to sink their teeth into. If you get the wrong time reading with one of these babies, you really are, "holding it wrong"....:p

"Long battery life,

Wifi/3g,

Siri enabled/Voice controled."

--> then the iWatch will be at the same size (at least) as iPod touch, if that so, just buy iPod with wristband..

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"Long battery life,

Wifi/3g,

Siri enabled/Voice controled."

Sir, I fear you've missed the entire "iThing" purchasing arc, and are completely ignoring the consumer's (perceived), needs.

First, you buy a MacBook.

Then, you buy an iPad to track the MacBook, should it get lost or fall into enemy hands.

Then, you buy an iPad Mini, in case, the iPad gets taken from you in a skuffle over the MacBook.

If you lose the fight, and your iPad Mini, you use your iPhone track the foregoing Apple products back to the enemy lair.

Should you get captured trying to recover you iProperty, your iWatch will be your last hope of rescue. You call Siri to alert the rest of your team. She calls you, "rock god", and gives you a map that is off by 50 miles or so, and tells you she'll be waiting to give you the weather report when you get home.

So all this time you're thinking, "what happens if I lose my wallet in all the intrigue and adventure"?

Not a problem, it's empty! Apple cleaned that out for you quite a while ago....!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Right dude, that's exactly what we need, an army of iZombies armed with iPhasers.

Don't breathe a word about "Star Trek", to either Samsung or Apple.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Could I interest you in something a bit more "outdoorsy"?
Here I was thinking we were going with more cloud based devices. That would be difficult to read on a cloudy day. lol

bexwhitt said:

Another revolutionary product by Apple!

Switzerland by no stretch of the imagination is a 3rd world country

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Don't breathe a word about "Star Trek", to either Samsung or Apple.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Well, the iPod nano as a watch is a decent idea. The things missing from it are battery life and bluetooth.

This has bluetooth, but I highly doubt we have any battery that can keep the screen on for even a day.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

So Apple will just have to sue somebody over the patent to the standard black and white LCD twisted nematic display. AFAIK, those will stay on all day without killing even tiny watch batteries. And you can buy watches with that technology for less than ten bucks at K-Mart.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Speaking of that technology, have there been any advancements in it? I'm thinking of a ~150-200ppi watch-sized display made up of the LCD crystals. Even though it's black and white, it would be pretty amazing (not to mention the battery life!).

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think that the eReaders are using the latest and greatest in that field. But thats all it is, is a thought.