SteelSeries unveils Apex and Apex [RAW] gaming keyboards

By on January 7, 2013, 11:30 AM

SteelSeries has introduced two new gaming keyboards at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show. The Apex and Apex [RAW] include a bevy of gamer-specific features as well as low-profile keys and customizable backlit illumination.

Both boards feature raised macro keys along the top and left side that is said to provide faster and more precise macro combinations. The peripheral company has also included two small tactile bumps on the W-key to provide a faster return to WASD, anti-ghosting support that facilitates up to 20 simultaneous key presses, an enlarged space bar and a SteelSeries key used to disable the Windows key without any extra software. SteelSeries also includes swappable feet to adjust the board’s angle for maximum comfort during extended gaming sessions.

The backlighting on the SteelSeries Apex supports 16.8 million colors that are fully customizable using a visual tool called ActiveZone. This allows the user to choose up to eight levels of illumination in each of the five zones with up to four different customizable layers per zone. Furthermore, there are independent media and volume keys on the Apex for complete media control.

Despite what you might think, the Apex [RAW] is actually the lesser of the two and is defined as the “essentials” keyboard. Missing here are the 16.8 million colors, instead replaced with a simple white backlight with eight levels of intensity. There are also fewer macro keys (17 versus 22 on the Apex) with up to two layers per key.

The SteelSeries Apex will retail for $99.99 while the Apex [RAW] will set you back $69.99. Both should be available for purchase in early Q2 2013.

Jbucko said:

Are they Cerry MX switches? I can't find anything that says what type of keys that they are. If they are this will replace my Razer Blackwidow ultimate.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

We'll have to wait & see. So far Steel Series hasn't released a single solitary product that really interests me & the odd one that's come close is far too pricey for what you get. Some people like by them but usually you can get better for less.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Have you ever tried a steel series headset?

I agree there keyboards are nothing special and mice etc... but there headsets have a sound quality almost completely in a league of its own in there price points.

If you ever go to a convention that has Steel Series Headsets, Turtle Beach, Logitech, Razer etc... Try them all, and you'll find the Steel Series are the better of the bunch.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

No thanks. Way too many damn keybs minus the ones I use the most: media buttons. And why does no one offer curved layouts anymore

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Have you ever tried a steel series headset?

I have tried the Siberia V2 but that was the white & blue usb one with the built in sound card & I can honestly say that I was not impressed. The price was insane for what they deliver but they were comfortable though.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Microsoft does. Take a gander http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/keyboards

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Yeah I have one of those MS keyboards on my desk. But the wireless is just not fit for gaming. And I really want backlighting. And non-ghosting. All of which is not offered by MS.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I don't think anyone offers what you're looking for. Probably because there's not much demand for such kit. Maybe sometime in the future... Who knows.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

I'm just about decided on the Roccat ISKU FX. Here's to hoping it is released soon

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

IMHO Roccat make the finest gaming peripherals & I can attest to that because that's all I use apart from my kbd which is a CM Storm Trigger. Why don't you wait for their new Ryos kbd. Check it out here [link] I'd love that kbd but I'll just have to be satisfied with what I have now.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

That's really good to hear because so far they seem to offer a very good value proposition especially when compared to Razr and Logitech

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I've used a lot of gaming peripherals from different manufacturers but none come close to Roccat's quality & value. No I don't work for them.

IMO roccat kone+ is over rated and not comfortable, sold it fast, I went back to the reaper edge from steelseries, most comfortable mouse ive ever had. and still to date.

but I am really interested in getting the new roccat keyboard, looks like a well designed product.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Yeah I hope Roccat gets those new peripherals to market very quickly. I want to get mine before end Feb

1 person liked this | Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Haha! you've tried the only Steelseries Headset I've never used xD I have never tried the USB versions, I've never really liked USB Headphones to be honest, never found the built-in Amplifier was as good as a dedicated sound card.

I guess I'll need to try out the Roccat's headphones at some point then

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I guess I'll need to try out the Roccat's headphones at some point then

Yeah I use the Kave's in conjuntion with an Asus Xonar DX. Not the best for music but excellent in games. It's always a matter of personal taste though.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Yeah I believe it was a bit big for a lot of hands. I never had the Kone [+] instead I used the earlier Kone which was exactly the same shape & size. It too was a little big for my hand. Now I use the Kone Pure which is slightly smaller & perfect. (For me)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I also use an Asus sound card:

Asus Xonar Essence STX

I still think its pretty good for music as well though :P

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said: