Leap Motion gesture controller arrives May 13, initial app lineup detailed

By on February 27, 2013, 9:36 AM

We’ve kept our eye on Leap Motion’s gesture control system ever since the company first unveiled the tiny device less than a year ago -- and apparently so have “hundreds of thousands” other people among developers and early adopter who’ve pre-ordered it. Today, the San Francisco-based announced it will begin fulfilling those orders starting on May 13th, with retail availability set for May 19 at Best Buy stores across the US.

The launch price will be $79.99, up $10 from the introductory pre-order price. Pre-orders are still available from Leapmotion.com, for U.S. and international orders, while BestBuy.com will begin taking U.S. pre-orders today.

Leap Motion also revealed the name for its curated app store, Airspace, along with a handful of software titles that will be available at launch. These include a Wreck-It Ralph-themed racing game from Disney, Double Fine's music game Dischord, ZeptoLab's Cut the Rope, plug-ins for 3D modeling software Autodesk, a Leap-native paint program from Corel, and a Weather Channel app. Earlier this week, Realmac Software also revealed plans to support Leap Motion with the Mac version of its to-do list app, Clear.

This first group of apps should provide a solid base to get things started, but a big part of Leap Motion's plan is to get independent third-party developing for its motion controller system. According to the company, 52,000 developers have applied for Leap Motion developer kits, and 12,000 have already been sent out.

Airspace will launch with full support for Windows 7 and 8, as well as Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8. Apps sold through Leap Motion’s app store will mirror the same 30/70 revenue split model popularized by Apple’s App Store.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

This is probably the sickest gadget to date. Maybe we can see this implemented with Microsofts 3D holographic desktop.

DKRON said:

Does anyone know if it will work with tv's?

JC713 JC713 said:

Does anyone know if it will work with tv's?

What is the connection? USB? If so then yes.

DKRON said:

Does anyone know if it will work with tv's?

What is the connection? USB? If so then yes.

But the "Airspace will launch with full support for Windows 7 and 8, as well as Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8. Apps sold through Leap Motion?s app store will mirror the same 30/70 revenue split model popularized by Apple?s App Store." would make it seems like you need a app for the device to work

JC713 JC713 said:

Ah, I guess maybe later in the development. Maybe if you have a smart tv it will work in the future.

DKRON said:

I sure hope so, because that would allow normal tv's to become full interactive without the price tag included

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, similar to LGs tech but without a remote

DKRON said:

Not really, this tech is so much more responsive then any other product available today

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, I cant wait to see where this can get.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Just looking at that top photo makes my arm tired. Swiping away an item in Clear would be cool, but I can't see myself holding my arm in mid-air to fully use an app. A while ago, I really wanted a gyro mouse which moved a cursor by rotating a device in mid-air. After a couple minutes of using one at work (they had one for presentations), I no longer wanted one.

DKRON said:

Just looking at that top photo makes my arm tired. Swiping away an item in Clear would be cool, but I can?t see myself holding my arm in mid-air to fully use an app. A while ago, I really wanted a gyro mouse which moved a cursor by rotating a device in mid-air. After a couple minutes of using one at work (they had one for presentations), I no longer wanted one.

But that's what they said about the Wii too, and look how popular that turned out

JC713 JC713 said:

I like the idea, but personally I like touch better