Weekend Open Forum: Who makes your favorite networking gear?

By on March 1, 2013, 6:00 PM

There’s no shortage of choices when it comes to selecting networking gear for your home or at work. Companies like Belkin, Cisco, D-Link and Netgear all have a solid following among consumers. I’ve used several different brands over the years and honestly I haven’t found one that I prefer over another, mostly due to the fact that I always seem to have to replace my router after a few years as it begins to randomly lose connection on a consistent basis.

With this week’s open forum and in the wake of having to replace my Cisco router in the near future, we’d like to hear who makes your favorite networking gear. Feel free to hit the comment section below and let us know which brand you typically go with.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Asus. Use the new Asus RT-AC66U 802.11ac - it's pricey ($200), but is amazingly fast with the new ac protocol and super easy to set up.

Asus isn't good for just mobo's any longer.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Cisco Linksys is my usual selection. This last time I went with ASUS. Although I feel as if ASUS is a rebrand of something else, I'm probably wrong thinking so.

For home and business: CISCO rulz!!

Always Linksys and never had any problems.

I use tp link because it work fine at 50c and other fries at that temp

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Netgear. Great price with a lifetime warranty for blue metal chassis products.

waterytowers said:

HP 24 port gigabit for home wired setup, ports in nearly every room. Dont use wireless that much when you can get a much faster and more reliable wired connection. Still using an old Billion router for wireless. I will replace the billion when I either get the NBN to my door, or the router dies, 5 years and still going.

Nazeem said:

Asus has taken the crown in the last 2 years, starting with the RT-N56U, and more recently, the RT-AC66U.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

D-Link and TP-Link

cmbjive said:

I don't have a favorite one per se. The equipment that comes with the Centurylink service, the Actiontec Q1000, gets the job done. Three video game systems, three PCs, a tablet, two Blu-Ray players and a Roku box all works with no hitches.

Love my black box 8port Ethernet switch powered from usb. It is so good in the data center.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

I use a lot of TP-Link. Affordable with a good feature set.

negroplasty negroplasty said:

I've always had very good experiences with Netgear at home. With that in mind I try to stick to them when I can, though I'm not opposed to buying another brand.

I have been using, installing, servicing many routers over the past 9 years and by far for a consumer product the Cisco branded Linksys routers.

D-Link greenhorn setup software seems confusing from many people I have set up for. They make great switches, but routers not so much.

Bart Matusiak Bart Matusiak said:

The correct answer is Dell.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Most current setup for network here..

OnStage RS7030 Rack Stand

Raxxess RAX Unitray Universal Rack Tray UNS1 (2x)

Technical Pro PS9U Rack Mount Power Supply with 5V USB Charging Port

Ubee DDM3513 DOCSIS 3.0 certified 50MB-1000MB: ISP Rate: 50d 10u showing 67d 12u

TP-LINK SafeStream Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router TL-ER6120 (Rack Mount)

TP-LINK JetStream 16-Port Gigabit L2 Managed Switch TL-SG3216 (Rack Mount)

EnGenius Xtra/Super Range Dual-Band High-Powered Wireless-N AP Gigabit Router ESR600H In WiFi Access Mode Only!

ZyXEL NSA325 (NAS 2x TB) + Print Server + Media Server + Web Server

SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black) (2x)

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

It makes no difference to me. I'll use any brand. It's all price dependent. At the moment I use D-Link. It does what it says on the tin.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Yes it does make a difference. I've used all the major brands, all those you get in the stores just not going to hold up if you use your network heavy duty. Streaming Media from Media Server, playing online LAN party games etc.. Business Enterprise Network Gear is what I use now. No more Cisco Linksys Gear for me I've spent more for these E4200, EA4500 all those RE1000 total cost near $500 bucks and what the out come failure! TP-LINK top Network Gear don't have these issues that plague all the other brands for SOHO Small Office / Home Office Routers. Of course SMB (Small Business)

Definitely Asus for the past 2-3 years. Their router has been very capable, stable, and easy to use. Not sure what happened to dlink and linksys. Cisco RV series are also decent provided you pick the right model and update firmware.

misor misor said:

Tp link,wr740n,draft n at 150mbps.

cheap, easy to setup, hassle free.

I'll probably upgrade to tp link wr841n when the wallet is more stable.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Like I said, it's makes no bit of blind difference to me. I'm a farmer with a home network. I buy on price & price alone. I'm not a fanbooi of any brand.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I make my "favorite networking gear"

I build my own Firewall / Routers using IPCOP...

Also Linksys WRT's comes very high on my list when you replace the stock firmware with Sveasoft or DD-WRT

As for actual switching gear I don't care so much, Dell makes some nice switches at decent prices, but so does several other brands. I like the look & performance of the compact Netgear switches.

CryVer CryVer said:

Asus RT-N66U with Tomato (by Shibby) Firmware. Been using it since the summer of 2012, and have not experienced a single issue yet (not even a crash).

supertech supertech said:

Cisco routers for business clients. D-link dumb switches. D-link for average & small homes. Amped for larger homes that need high-coverage for wifi.

Dyson Parkes Dyson Parkes said:

WRT54GL running DD-WRT for wireless.

2x LevelOne FGP-2410 for cabled connection. PoE, Gigabit, and un-managed.

Raspberry Pi running RaspBian with DNSMasq and DHCP3-server to control network addressing.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

I have and old Belkin router and a Trendnet provided by my ISP. They both suck so I just bought an Asus RT-N66U which is arriving on Wednesday. I've read many good things about this router. Almost bought the new AC version but found this on discount so it was $50 less and I probably won't have any AC gear for a couple of years - plus I used wired Ethernet for things like my Xbox, NAS, Apple TV.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

D-link, though I might consider Asus when my current router wears out.

I've used many adsl router brands and now stick with TP-Link.

Cheapest.

Option rich.

I have seen several of mine and my friend's, they all working very well as far as I know.

fraggleki said:

Cisco? Didn't know there was any competition? Haha

But seriously Cisco/Linksys

Business Cisco for sure! No Competition

killeriii said:

Asus isn't good for just mobo's any longer.

I used to use D-link and linksys, but my last purchase was an Asus RT-N56U and it works better than any previous router I've owned.

I think the worst one I 've owned was a trendnet. Took a full minute and a half to process any changes in the interface. And I mean EVERY single change. 10 portforwards, 15 minutes! Drove me crazy.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

Netgear

Me too - - great devices and easy to configure

JC713 JC713 said:

Me too - - great devices and easy to configure

I have a lifetime warranty on my N600 so I can get a new one whenever I need it haha

JC713 JC713 said:

Cisco Linksys

Too bad they were bought out by Belkin...

AccordXTC said:

Asus isn't good for just mobo's any longer.

I took have this router, amazing unit, even better if you use the merlin build on this router. Opens up a lot of features.

RH00D RH00D said:

I don't necessarily have a favourite. Although, it will probably end up being Cisco as I'm going into enterprise IT.

1 person liked this | j05hh j05hh said:

Ubiquiti unifi's for access points.

tonylukac said:

I like Tenda from Micro Center because it's free.

nismo91 said:

Linksys and tp-link

Sphynx Sphynx said:

I have been using a Vizio XWR100 dual-band wireless router (my first router) for about two years and it's never given me a single problem.

Dawn1113 said:

I can't say the manufacturers are a favorite of mine, but right now I've got a Belkin N600 HD. I haven't had any major issues with it so far. I've been told this isn't a router for Mac users, for reasons I no longer remember.

Brought a billion 9700n a couple years ago, never had a dropout that wasnt the fault of my isp :) superfast and able to handle multiple connections/streams/torrents with ease.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

Right now im using using a ASUS router with the newest version of DD-WRT and its working great. LOVE IT

ROBO731 ROBO731 said:

I usually go with Netgear, but I've never tried anything else.

pmkrefeld said:

I'm surprised noone mentioned AVM, but maybe because its an american site. I really think they make best HW in this industry.

Gamuholic said:

@Per Hansson

Have you tried IPFire? I find it to be just as stable, but it is kept up to date and has many more features. It has a package manager, so installing addons is WAY easier. It was originally a fork of IPCop, but the development is completely independent now. I have it running 3 networks right now, soon to be 4.

Meraki for the AP always and SonicWALL TZ or Juniper SRX for the firewall and Cisco for the switches at home. Off lease or end of life Cisco gear is so cheap used.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If I had the money it would be an ASUS Dark Night but as of right now im using a Buffalo Air station wireless N 600 and it is doing great.