GameStop president talks Wii U, Playstation 4 and Xbox 720

By on March 14, 2013, 2:30 PM

Sales of Nintendo’s Wii U console have been slower than expected following the holiday shopping season according to GameStop president Tony Bartel. The executive noted, however, that Nintendo is planning to launch some of their biggest IP over the next few months which he expects will increase gamer interest.

Forbes recently sat down with Bartel to pick his mind with regards to the Wii U and other next generation consoles on the horizon. He told the publication that Nintendo will need some great first-party titles to compete with Microsoft and Sony this holiday season. Furthermore, Bartel believes Nintendo should do more to make consumers aware of the new features available on the Wii U.

With regards to Microsoft's and Sony’s new consoles specifically, Bartel believes the impact they have on the gaming industry will be huge. He thinks that consumers are ready for innovation and as such, the new consoles should reenergize the entire industry.

What’s more, video gaming as an industry is much more mainstream now than it was when the last console race started which means there are more consumer dollars for companies to go after. Like it or not, gaming (like virtually everything else tech related) is becoming more social so continuing to build on that will be key for next generation systems, he said.

After seeing what exclusive titles like Halo were able to do for Microsoft, Bartel said he is excited to see what Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony bring to the table.

JC713 JC713 said:

"Their biggest IP"?

Critica1Hit said:

"Their biggest IP"?

Zelda? I have not seen anything for Wii U to get me excited.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Super Smash Bros is the only thing that I've seen that will interest me in a WiiU. Otherwise, I'll save my money for a more gaming-centered, next-gen console.

Lurker101 said:

"Their biggest IP"?

All of the games that can be prefixed with "another bloody" such as Zelda, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Metroid, Smash Bros., et. al.

JC713 JC713 said:

Oh ok. I have bought a ton of nintendo products, from the gameboy sp, nintendo 64, all the way to the Wii. I then got into PC gaming (played AOE and Civ before), but didnt get in depth till BF3. I saw no advantage of the Wii U, it isnt that innovative

Mario Kart is the greatest racing game ever made so another edition on the Wii U fills me with warm joy.