Philips' swank new DesignLine televisions are a work of art

By on March 16, 2013, 10:00 AM

Television design has come a long way since the advent of flat panel displays, much to the praise of interior decorators the world over. But even still, some of today’s slickest sets are considered an eyesore to many. To that end, Philips has come up with a new line of TVs called DesignLine that redefines everything we know about the traditional set.

You’d be forgiven for mistaken Philips’ new television for a piece of designer art or perhaps even a misplaced slab of glass because, well, that’s exactly what it is. In setting out to create the 46- and 55-inch televisions, Philips wanted to do away with typical design elements found in modern sets.

As such, they elected to go with a single sheet of glass that would lean casually against the wall. This allowed designers to get rid of the bezel, the neck and the base. A special gradient has been added to the glass surface and an ultra strong adhesive tape was used to attach the TV panel to the glass surface.

In addition to the unique look, DesignLine sets contain some of the latest advancements in technology. They operate at 1,400 Hz and come equipped with a dual-core processor, Wi-Fi, 1080p 3D and MiraCast. Sets also ship with Philips Ambilight technology which surrounds the set with ambient lighting to match what’s being shown on the screen at any given time.

Philips DesignLine sets will be available in Europe and Russia starting in the second quarter of this year. Expect to pay around $2,600 and $3,600 for the 46-inch and 55-inch models, respectively. No word yet on when or if they will arrive in the US or elsewhere.

JC713 JC713 said:

I would expect to see Samsung do this, not Philips. Samsung kinda already has this, but it isnt leaning against a wall.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

This looks really cool. I'd have to see it in action before I buy it tho.

Camikazi said:

Is there a reason why everything shown on the screen is animation and no people or real places?

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

What's with that crazy spot on the screen for about half of the video even when changing scenes? Made me think I had out pixels on my monitor for a minute.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I like the edge to edge glass, but I don't like how it leans against the wall. I would want one without the glass base that I could mount to the wall.

1 person liked this | AccordXTC said:

Ummm so wait the Philips that is leaving the TV market after 83 years is making a TV? Is this the Brett Favres tactic lol

JC713 JC713 said:

Oh they are exiting the business? Havent heard about that.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Interesting... nice to see something new with designs

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh they are exiting the business? Havent heard about that.
Yeah, here's that new article from this January: [link]

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, here's that new article from this January: [link]

Wow that is sad, never used many Philips things, but the ones I did use, were great quality.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Hey, maybe they changed their minds, maybe they're just going to concentrate on TVs. Maybe they're trying to impress a potential buyer for that segment of their business.. There's no such concrete thing as "future news" is there?

In other past "future news" stories, Hostess Baking will never really go out of business...

gamoniac said:

That's what I was wondering about when reading this news. I hope Philips will keep the consumer TV line. They make good products. Samsung is just killing everyone with their low prices. (I have both companies' products in my living room).

Anyway, they really take "thinking outside the box" to a new level -- see video

nismo91 said:

I really like this new TV design. however, I never find their existing TVs (even the 8000 series) and HTiBs outstanding. they did quite a job with ambilight though. look at how many tried to DIY it.

im rather surprised philips quit this industry. some of their audio-visual products are pretty good. I have plenty of philips stuff, and my favorites are its universal remote and some of their in-ear earphones, especially the sports-oriented SHS8000. I considered their stuff to be reasonably priced. well that or a streak of deals.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Samsung is about to get nuked. Literally. Buy anything but them.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Samsung is about to get nuked. Literally. Buy anything but them.
You have to cherry pick manufacturer's product lines, and part of brand preference is simply the luck you have with your first examples. Once upon a time Panasonic's "Technics" brand of LP turntables wore like iron, and were priced right. However, their home audio receivers were s***, and never quite met the published specs. Samsung and Toshiba are in cahoots on different products. I'm not overwhelmed by either product line in any category.

And as always, your results, likes, dislikes, and good or bad luck, may vary.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Samsung is about to get nuked. Literally. Buy anything but them.
Why would Samsung get nuked?

Did I miss a story somewhere, about an issue with Samsung?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Why would Samsung get nuked?

Did I miss a story somewhere, about an issue with Samsung?

It sounds like somebody didn't have their nap, and is tired and bored of being mad at Sony....:oops:

JC713 JC713 said:

Samsung is about to get nuked. Literally. Buy anything but them.

All of my TVs in the past years have been Samsungs, currently I have 3 flat screens in my home, and they are all Samsung, havent had any issues.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Still looking for a manufacture to hit on price. Design and features aren't my first concerns.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Why would Samsung get nuked?

Did I miss a story somewhere, about an issue with Samsung?

North Korea called off the armistice with South Korea. So I'm just saying if Lil' Kim wants to, Samsung could no longer exist tomorrow because it's a South Korean company.

I'll never stop being mad at Sony, but thanks for noticing.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

If that's the case, then we should buy as much Toshiba / Samsung as possible before the price goes "sky high"! (Pun intended).

Hey wait the, "Lil Kim" name is taken. Maybe we could send her to South Korea is anticipation of it being nuked!

'Cause you know what they say, "in the end there can be only one"....

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I watched the video and was confused, lots of talk, very little showing of the TV. Then they showed it in a very 'modern' apartment, which most people don't have. Something, or several things, aren't sitting right with me on this TV..

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

How is the design good? It's terrible. The angle of the tv makes the screen less rectangular from a couch position than standard TV's. Therefore, worse.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not to mention glare from over head lighting. Even anti-glare filters will show signs of reflection.

yRaz yRaz said:

this tv is for people who design a room for their home theater. It would most likely have no light in it so glare wouldn't be a problem. If you have ever seen a real home theater you'd know they have raised seating, often resembling stadium seating. You just aren't seeing the target market.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

So the target market sits up near the roof and looks at the tv on a downward 10-20 degree angle?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You just aren't seeing the target market.
You do have a point there. So in other words this TV is meant to be sold to a select few, much like the GeForce GTX Titan. Didn't the link above suggest, they were leaving the consumer electronics market because they were having trouble selling products? What you are suggesting makes this question even harder to understand.

Edit:

After a few moments of thought, If I were to setup a theater such as what you are describing, I would not be using a TV. If you have ever been to a Movie Theater you would understand what I would be mimicking.

yRaz yRaz said:

this is fashion over function. If you look at how many people buy the iPhone its a fairly large market(oops).

JC713 JC713 said:

iPhones are pretty nice compared to Android, I gotta say myself... but yeah, this TV is made for people who like to brag about how beautiful their home theater is, not how functional it is.

yRaz yRaz said:

don't get me wrong, if you're happy with your product more power to you. That is why we buy these things, after all. If people are more concerned with looks rather than performance, well, this is the tv for them.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

There's a large difference in something looking pretty, and something completely missing the point of purpose.

The TV will not be square when looking at it. There's no way to miss this. It's a major point when looking at TV, monitor, smartphone, etc.

JC713 JC713 said:

True, I notice that this is how Samsung gets it right, they get the beauty aspect along with the functionality aspect.

Zoltan Head said:

Surely the screen will look rectangular if you're at the right height above the center point of the screen (just as a regular tv can only look rectangular to at most one viewer in a room, everyone else's head will be displaced from the optimum position at least a little)?