Philips' swank new DesignLine televisions are a work of art

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Television design has come a long way since the advent of flat panel displays, much to the praise of interior decorators the world over. But even still, some of today’s slickest sets are considered an eyesore to many. To that end, Philips has come up with a new line of TVs called DesignLine that redefines everything we know about the traditional set.

You’d be forgiven for mistaken Philips’ new television for a piece of designer art or perhaps even a misplaced slab of glass because, well, that’s exactly what it is. In setting out to create the 46- and 55-inch televisions, Philips wanted to do away with typical design elements found in modern sets.

philips television

As such, they elected to go with a single sheet of glass that would lean casually against the wall. This allowed designers to get rid of the bezel, the neck and the base. A special gradient has been added to the glass surface and an ultra strong adhesive tape was used to attach the TV panel to the glass surface.

In addition to the unique look, DesignLine sets contain some of the latest advancements in technology. They operate at 1,400 Hz and come equipped with a dual-core processor, Wi-Fi, 1080p 3D and MiraCast. Sets also ship with Philips Ambilight technology which surrounds the set with ambient lighting to match what’s being shown on the screen at any given time.

Philips DesignLine sets will be available in Europe and Russia starting in the second quarter of this year. Expect to pay around $2,600 and $3,600 for the 46-inch and 55-inch models, respectively. No word yet on when or if they will arrive in the US or elsewhere.

Permalink to story.

I would expect to see Samsung do this, not Philips. Samsung kinda already has this, but it isnt leaning against a wall.

Is there a reason why everything shown on the screen is animation and no people or real places?

What's with that crazy spot on the screen for about half of the video even when changing scenes? Made me think I had out pixels on my monitor for a minute.

I like the edge to edge glass, but I don't like how it leans against the wall. I would want one without the glass base that I could mount to the wall.

Wow that is sad, never used many Philips things, but the ones I did use, were great quality.
Hey, maybe they changed their minds, maybe they're just going to concentrate on TVs. Maybe they're trying to impress a potential buyer for that segment of their business.. There's no such concrete thing as "future news" is there?

In other past "future news" stories, Hostess Baking will never really go out of business...;)

Ummm so wait the Philips that is leaving the TV market after 83 years is making a TV? Is this the Brett Favres tactic lol

That's what I was wondering about when reading this news. I hope Philips will keep the consumer TV line. They make good products. Samsung is just killing everyone with their low prices. (I have both companies' products in my living room).

Anyway, they really take "thinking outside the box" to a new level -- see video :)

I really like this new TV design. however, I never find their existing TVs (even the 8000 series) and HTiBs outstanding. they did quite a job with ambilight though. look at how many tried to DIY it.

im rather surprised philips quit this industry. some of their audio-visual products are pretty good. I have plenty of philips stuff, and my favorites are its universal remote and some of their in-ear earphones, especially the sports-oriented SHS8000. I considered their stuff to be reasonably priced. well that or a streak of deals.

Samsung is about to get nuked. Literally. Buy anything but them.
You have to cherry pick manufacturer's product lines, and part of brand preference is simply the luck you have with your first examples. Once upon a time Panasonic's "Technics" brand of LP turntables wore like iron, and were priced right. However, their home audio receivers were s***, and never quite met the published specs. Samsung and Toshiba are in cahoots on different products. I'm not overwhelmed by either product line in any category.

And as always, your results, likes, dislikes, and good or bad luck, may vary.

Still looking for a manufacture to hit on price. Design and features aren't my first concerns.

Why would Samsung get nuked?
Did I miss a story somewhere, about an issue with Samsung?

North Korea called off the armistice with South Korea. So I'm just saying if Lil' Kim wants to, Samsung could no longer exist tomorrow because it's a South Korean company.

It sounds like somebody didn't have their nap, and is tired and bored of being mad at Sony....:D

I'll never stop being mad at Sony, but thanks for noticing.

North Korea called off the armistice with South Korea. So I'm just saying if Lil' Kim wants to, Samsung could no longer exist tomorrow because it's a South Korean company.
If that's the case, then we should buy as much Toshiba / Samsung as possible before the price goes "sky high"! (Pun intended).

Hey wait the, "Lil Kim" name is taken. Maybe we could send her to South Korea is anticipation of it being nuked!;)

'Cause you know what they say, "in the end there can be only one"....:)

I watched the video and was confused, lots of talk, very little showing of the TV. Then they showed it in a very 'modern' apartment, which most people don't have. Something, or several things, aren't sitting right with me on this TV..

How is the design good? It's terrible. The angle of the tv makes the screen less rectangular from a couch position than standard TV's. Therefore, worse.

How is the design good? It's terrible. The angle of the tv makes the screen less rectangular from a couch position than standard TV's. Therefore, worse.
Not to mention glare from over head lighting. Even anti-glare filters will show signs of reflection.

Back