BlackBerry CEO calls out the iPhone's dated interface

By on March 18, 2013, 10:30 AM

In a case of what many might consider the pot calling the kettle black, BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins called out Apple’s iPhone during a recent interview for being outdated. Speaking with the Australian Financial Review, Heins made it clear that he believes Apple is falling behind other handset makers (BlackBerry included) with regards to innovation.

The BlackBerry chief said Apple did a fantastic job in bringing touch devices to the market and did a bang up job with the user interface. He noted that Cupertino is a design icon and there is a reason they are so successful but because the rate of innovation is so high in the industry, you can be replaced pretty quickly.

To that end, Heins said that with all due respect, the interface on the iPhone is now five years old. He likened the recent move of launching BlackBerry 10 to putting the company on the starting grid of the wider mobile computing grand prix. Now, the Canadian firm just needs to win the race – a daunting task when you are already several laps behind the competition.

In related BlackBerry news, Heins believes his company will have 100,000 native apps ready for the Z10 by the time it hits retail in the US later this week. When the first wave of phones launched on the new platform in January, there were only 70,000 apps available. That’s a respectable number and far more than were available when Microsoft launched its Windows Phone OS but it pales in comparison to what’s offered in the App Store and on Google Play.

j05hh j05hh said:

Why someone would want to buy a BB is beyond me. Its like downgrading from windows 7 to vista...WHY?

Can BB's now connect to an exchange server without the need of BES?

Tygerstrike said:

Much like any cellular device, its success will not be based on actual useage, but on how good of a media blitz RIM puts into it. Im sure everyone remembers a few years ago roughly 2010 when the EVO line was the newest hotest toy. Apple has used media to make themselves giants. All it would take is the same level of media investment and the BB10 will skyrocket.

2 people like this | nuttyrat nuttyrat said:

Can BB's now connect to an exchange server without the need of BES?

so you've obviously not used BB10 before then, that's ok though I forgive you for that. All BB's in the last 6 or 7 years have been able to connect to Exchange in one form or another without having to use BES. Blackberry 10 uses Exchange ActiveSync as its primary email protocol.

As to why someone would want to use BB over iPhone, Android, or Windows Mobile OS? The same reason why they would want to use any other device ... because the device/platform provides them the kind of service that they are looking for.

1 person liked this | Cueto_99 said:

I agree with this, iOS interface, althought is fast (on iphone 5) and easy to use, has become old and static. The biggest change I remember having, was the notification center, and that was like many years ago... Apple should revamp the iOS soon if they want to give the customer new and better features, if not, even the iphone 10 is gonna look the same as an iphone 4.

Critica1Hit said:

Well as long as the iHorde continues buying then they don't really need to bother. In Apple's eyes, the product works because it sells, and that's the end of the story. Why else do you think they are not even trying to innovate? Just make it a bit larger, increase the resolution and voila, your new iPhone

BTW I own an iPad and love it (for the most part), so no I'm not a hater ;-)

nuttyrat nuttyrat said:

FWIW when I put my Z10 beside someone elses iPhone ... iOS does indeed look pretty dated!

1 person liked this |
Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

AFAICIAABOBS (as far as I'm concerned, it's all a bunch of bs). I'd like to see Blackberry stand on their own and make something great that is competitive and innovative, and prove it through customer satisfaction and reviews, not by having their CEO stand on stage and blast other products. In the meantime, let's abbreviate the beginning of all of our sentences so I have to decode them before reading :P

JK just poking fun at the internet.

"Heins made it clear that he believes Apple is falling behind other handset makers (BlackBerry included) with regards to innovation"

..I thought blackberry is the one most-falling-behind other handset makers?

BoxCakeNinja BoxCakeNinja said:

That's what marketing has come to apparently, trying to convince the masses that their product is better than the iPhone in some cases even making fun of the competitors customers. Even trying to fake long lines *opps* I've said to much. LMAO truly pathetic.

MilwaukeeMike said:

From the story - "Now, the Canadian firm just needs to win the race ? a daunting task when you are already several laps behind the competition."

That's not true at all. Companies don't follow in each other's footsteps, they leap-frog over one another. When MS came out with the xbox, it didn't matter they were 'a few laps behind the competition' in the console industry. Ask Sega if it mattered that MS was late to the game.

1 person liked this | Sphynx Sphynx said:

"Dated" is an aesthetic argument. Steering wheels and keyboards are dated, but that's because they've reached a sweet spot in functionality.

Dated becomes an issue in a UI if eye candy appeal is a major driving force for consumers. If the question is functionality, then you have to present the argument that the iOS interface is less functional now than it was five years ago for the device's intended audience and how it is currently being used.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

The best feature of the Z10 is the keyboard.

BoxCakeNinja BoxCakeNinja said:

I agree fully, however, I am also of the opinion that while the current iOS UI is functional it has become a little long in the tooth and I think most iOS users would agree. The UI needs a face lift or at least some kind of aesthetic modification to breath some life into it. If not, they should start packing more features into iOS. I think that Samsung as realized that they cannot depend mainly on hardware specs to gain customers, and have set their sights on the average Joe by focusing now on software and creating a feature rich device.

JC713 JC713 said:

This is a nice upgrade for BB, but a bit too late in my opinion. I was reading reviews about the BB10 and people say its OS is bad.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Well, someone in an official position had to do it. When is the last time those icons got updated anyways?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

It's functionally dated too. Everything in iOS takes forever to do: menus are all hidden, navigation is clunky and all over the place, animations take forever.

JC713 JC713 said:

Well not really, but you have a point there, they could improve that.

2 people like this | coppersloane coppersloane said:

Of course armchair blog-reviewers are saying BB10 is a bad OS. Anytime any company releases something that isn't Apple, a bunch of reviewers come out of the woodwork saying how awful it is. It's like Apple has a bunch of snipers hiding in the brush, just waiting to pop a cap in anything that could put a dent in it.

BB10 is amazing.

All RIM needs to compete (and this is the sad truth) is a media machine chugging along at ludicrous speed. Apple is 75% hype, and their users are conformists. Only a powerful media train can turn them away at this point, but RIM can't just dump all funding into marketing. They have to be smart about things at this stage. They're on life support.

JC713 JC713 said:

BB10 is amazing.

True. I feel like they are a bit too later in the game though, that is what I mainly agree with. BB has to prove themselves by making large corporate deals. They may not succeed in the consumer sector, but in the corporate sector they rock. They gained 1 million orders for the BB10. But losing the US defense department to Apple must have been hard. They just need to advertise like Samsung (maybe not $400 million) to gain market share.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

I didn't know US defense was using iPhones. That's kinda scary.

Cristian Troy Cristian Troy said:

Wow I think Thorsten Heins, before opened his big mouth, he need think and asking to himself why Apple is Apple and their stocks cost around USD $500 each one and why each ex-blackberry users choose a iPhone and not a "NEW" blackberry after 2007.

this is a funny guy. another gag?

I have a 4s and I say the OS is way long in the tooth. A sabre tooth. The iOS is nearly faultless in its stability and simplicity but, I find that a blessing and a curse. I find myself wishing for widgets all the time. I miss the ability to be able to get to the weather, alarm clock and power settings from the home screen. Doesn't get more simple than that. No, Im not willing to jailbreak my phone for it either. I have a Nexus 7 and it resolves all the complaints I had from my previous android phones. It is stable and smooth. I wonder if the Nexus phones are as stable? Anyway, your right, its time for an overhaul of iOS.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

iOS is horrible and almost all BB's are just as bad. Andriod is the way to go in opinion.

JC713 JC713 said:

I like Android, but I like the clean look of iOS, Android has too much going on.

I didn't know US defense was using iPhones. That's kinda scary.

Yeah lol, it was recent (after BB10 announcement).

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

Most people don't know how to clean it up. People just start putting a whole bunch of apps and crap on there home screens that it gets cluttered. If you set it up right you will be nice and clean and if you manage your apps right your battery won't die after 4 hours of use. I have a SGS3 and it will last me almost 2 days without me charging it.

Its all how you use it and how you set it up.

JC713 JC713 said:

Its all how you use it and how you set it up.

I guess I should give Android a shot then. I got an iPhone in september as my first smartphone because I liked my iPod Touch before. I have helped tons of friends and family members with their Android phones despite not having one because it is so easy to get used to if you are a little technically inclined.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

Well as a computer tech I love the fact that I can completely customize my andriod. I can overclock it, Install custom ROM's, ROOT the phone so I have access to more settings. There's a lot more that I can do with my phone. The iPhone does not give that ability and if it does then im not aware of it.

JC713 JC713 said:

Yeah, that is what is awesome about Android. The open source aspect. It is limitless.