Weekend tech reading: Windows Blue leaked, detailed

By on March 24, 2013, 12:06 PM

Windows Blue leaks online, includes smaller Live Tiles, new side-by-side Snap Views, and IE 11 An early build of Windows Blue, the next version of Windows, has leaked online on the same day that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer celebrates his 57th birthday. Build 9364, a partner version that was originally compiled on March 15th, has been made available on file sharing sites and includes some of the new changes that Microsoft is building into its significant Windows 8 update. The Verge

Embrace, extend, extinguish: How Google crushed and abandoned the RSS industry Google Reader was born in October 2005. Within two weeks of its soft launch, it had hundreds of thousands of users. I know those details because the team responsible for developing Google Reader blogged about their progress regularly beginning with that first “Hello, Internet” post more than seven years ago. The most recent post on The Official Google Reader Blog came earlier this month, when the company announced it was "Powering Down Google Reader." ZDNet

Can you fix a failing mobile GPU with a hair dryerOver the years, I’ve encountered my fair share of hardware failures while writing for AnandTech. For example, nearly every SFF I reviewed back in my early days failed within a couple years (usually a dead motherboard); Both of the first AM2 motherboards I reviewed also died within six months. I’ve seen more than a few bad sticks of memory, particularly overclocking RAM that couldn’t handle long-term use at higher voltages. And let’s not even talk about hard drives... AnandTech

Netflix adultery: the smallest, most insidious betrayal Three weeks ago I cheated on my boyfriend. He was perhaps twenty feet away from me, sleeping in my bed with the door open while I betrayed his trust on the living room sofa. At one point, he woke up and walked right by. "You're not watching House of Cards without me, are you?" he asked. "No," I lied without hitting pause. With my ear buds in, you could say Netflix was actually inside of me as my boyfriend returned to bed. I stayed in the living room and kept watching. The Cut

ICANN reveals regional winners of new gTLD The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has approved and released a list domain names as per its new global Top Level Domain (gTLD) plans. A total of 27 domain names have been cleared for use by ICANN and all of them are non-English domain names. Comprising of Chinese and Arabic names, the domain names seem to be mostly for regional companies; among which prominent are .Qatartelecom and .Mozaic domains. Parity News

HP creates glasses-free almost-holographic 3D smartphone display Researchers at HP Labs have built a small, multi-angle, glasses-free 3D display that could allow for smartphones, tablets, and watches to produce Princess Leia-like holograms. The current prototype devices can produce full-parallax 3D images and videos that are viewable from up to a meter, within a 90-degree arc -- and, like the Star Wars hologram, the 3D image or video varies as you move your head up and down, or around the display. ExtremeTech

Apple acquires WiFiSLAM indoor location tech startup In a reported $20 million acquisition deal, Apple has bought the "indoor GPS" company WiFiSLAM, according to the Wall Street Journal Digits blog. The startup, founded by Stanford CS grad & former Google coding intern Joseph Huang, offered a way to let smartphones find their location indoors to an accuracy of less than 10 feet (2.5 m) using the ambient WiFi signals in the environment. This isn't Apple's first foray with WiFi localization... Tuaw

Attack of the killer smartwatches First came the smartphone and now comes the smartwatch. The smartwatch is a wristwatch that connects to your smartphone to present pertinent information so you don't have to take the phone out of your pocket. Because it takes a lot of effort to pull your phone out of your pocket, you know. The speculation about an Apple smartwatch, already referred to as the iWatch, has been running rampant for a while. Like all such rumors about Apple there is absolutely no proof... ZDNet

Set phasers to Hulu Today is William Shatner’s birthday, and Hulu is making every episode from every Star Trek series available to watch for free until the end of the month. Resistance is futile. Almost as futile as controlling a population of tribbles. We’re polling folks to find out which episode they’d like featured on the home page this weekend, and later today, iconic characters will face off in March Madness-style brackets, with Trek fans voting for their favorites. Check out Hulu’s Tumblr for more details. Hulu

Bidding war for Dell appears likely A bidding war for Dell Inc. appears likely, with Blackstone Group LP and Carl Icahn separately expressing interest in the company on Friday before a key deadline for offers expired. Blackstone and Mr. Icahn, an activist investor, each notified a special committee of Dell's board that they are working on firm bids for the computer maker, a step that will afford them four more days to put together offers, people familiar with the matter said. The Wall Street Journal

How NASA got an Android handset ready to go into space It’s what science fiction dreams are made of: brightly colored, sphere-shaped robots that float above the ground, controlled by a tiny computer brain. But it isn't fiction: it’s the SPHERES satellite, and its brain is an Android smartphone. Two and a half years ago, the Human Exploration and Telerobotics Project (HET) equipped a trio of these floating robots with Nexus S handsets running Android Gingerbread.. Ars Technica

GOP lawmaker seeks 'virtual Congress' with telecommuting plan Rep. Steve Pearce (R-N.M.) wants to create a "virtual Congress," where lawmakers would leverage videoconferencing and other remote work technology to conduct their daily duties in Washington from their home districts. Under a resolution Pearce introduced on Thursday, lawmakers would be able to hold hearings, debate and vote on legislation virtually from their district offices. The Hill

2012 Free Software Award winners announced Free Software Foundation president Richard M. Stallman announced the winners of the FSF's annual Free Software Awards at a ceremony on Saturday, March 23rd, held during the LibrePlanet 2013 conference at Harvard University, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Two awards were given: the Award for the Advancement of Free Software, and the Award for Projects of Social Benefit. FSF

China to standardize around local version of Ubuntu China has picked Canonical's Linux-based Ubuntu OS as the reference architecture to establish a standardized operating system in the nation that could end up in PCs, servers, tablets and smartphones. The result will be a new version of Ubuntu, specifically made for the Chinese market, Canonical said in a statement on Thursday. InfoWorld

I don't know ... but to me seems like it was blue for years, ah ... and I like green stuff ^^

JC713 JC713 said:

Windows Blue seems like trash. Hopefully they bring DX12 with it.

Who is responsible for the foolishness of not getting back the start buttom?, is like MS saying, I'm gonna put my table os down your ass no matter what you want.

1 person liked this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Realizing the mistake that Win 8 is, already working on the next OS, lol. Too funny but its needed.

3 people like this | ikesmasher said:

The sad thing is they arent even gonna fix most of the windows 8 complaints. If they did I would gladly buy it.

2 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It's truly mind-boggling how MS JUST DOESN'T GET IT. Give the users a start-button option and they'll sell more copies than could dream of. How can they possibly be happy with companies like Stardock making (probably) millions selling their start-button add-on?

2 people like this | Chazz said:

If you guys don't like it, then don't buy it. Rehashing the same shit on every MS related article is tired.

1 person liked this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Heh...Chazz, I've been using Win 8 for months. Doesn't mean I have to like their asinine idea of using a mobile interface on my desktop.

Chazz said:

So what are your reasons for buying it? It's not the Metro interface, so why not voice some improvements that you'd like to see in Blue? It's obvious Microsoft is not bringing it back and those complaints are nothing new. What changes can increase your productivity?

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

Ofc there are plenty of improvements:battery life, boot time, memory management, other desktop improvements.

But while I've been using win 8 for a year now, I still don't use metro (not even one bit). Not one good app, not one thing to make want to switch to it. I avoid it as much as I can until they force me into that fing fullscreen crap.

It's not hard to make metro apps work in windows like normal software. (there are 3rd party programs that do it) They keep praising this fullscreen crap like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Sorry I don't think so. --> why don't they just admit that they still have a lot of work to do before it's out of beta and stop it with the apple like attitude that just doesn't work for them.

3 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

There are a number of improvements Windows 8 has over 7. Security, power management, speed, improved Task Manager, better memory management, etc. - which is why I choose to use it.

But again, that doesn't excuse MS from providing an option to have the desktop preference that I (and obviously millions of others) would like to have and instead must rely on 3rd party apps. That's ridiculous and clearly influencing sales and adoption. It's just plain stupidity and stubbornness on MS's part for no other reason other than they can.

ikesmasher said:

If you guys don't like it, then don't buy it. Rehashing the same **** on every MS related article is tired.

In that case, ill be stuck on windows 7 in 2030. Thats freaking fine, didnt want to stay modern and productive at the same time anyway.

1 person liked this | windmill007 said:

Blue seems like a bunch of crap. Hopefully windows 9 will bring the fixes were all were hoping for. If not I feel bad for Microsoft. Most business will be stuck on windows 7 till they get it.

1 person liked this | Chazz said:

As you've used windows 8 for a while now you should know just how little you're actually in the Metro interface. The amount of effort one has to use to avoid it is minimal. I don't have a problem with it(the interface) and even still I barely see it. I see it when I restart and when I use it the same way I used the start button. I hit the windows key and start typing up the program or service that I need. How is this a problem that you haven't gotten over yet?

I don't use their Mail app, their music app or any of those apps. But, that's because I have no need for it. Did I ***** about windows live services or the other crap bundled with 7/XP? No, it's pointless and completely unnecessary. Being able to right click that "hot corner" and open up a admin mode command prompt or disk management is worth it alone for me. Having to hit win+D or the big ass "Desktop" button on your screen isn't a big deal. Not one worth repeating the same thing over and over in every Microsoft thread.

misor misor said:

...but because of metro, "start button" developers are happy and earning some money...

1 person liked this | Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

I'm no Win8 evangelist but that makes no sense. They would have been working on Blue before Win8 was released if they are a normal dev company...

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I've never seen a more stubborn customer base than the PC's... -_-

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You are not listening to the complaints. Are you working for Microsoft, because they are not listening either?

Same old complaint no start menu, download a free one or dont bother posting this same tired statement

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Your statement has become just as tiring, so why bother posting your comment?

1 person liked this | Chazz said:

Am I talking to children?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Am I talking to children?

Well geez, I don't know who you are talking to. You mention something about ignoring complaints (complaints of which have been about productivity) and then you ask for ideas to increase productivity. Personally I think even children are smart enough to see contradiction in those two statements.

1 person liked this | Jim$ter said:

I don't use their Mail app, their music app or any of those apps. But, that's because I have no need for it. Did I ***** about windows live services or the other crap bundled with 7/XP? No, it's pointless and completely unnecessary. Being able to right click that "hot corner" and open up a admin mode command prompt or disk management is worth it alone for me. Having to hit win+D or the big *** "Desktop" button on your screen isn't a big deal. Not one worth repeating the same thing over and over in every Microsoft thread.

I find it just as bizarre when I read this over and over from people because you obviously use your computer differently then me and a lot of other people. I actually use my start button. I pin apps to it and I use the search heavily. The search in the start button menu is fast and especially nice I can drag and drop things to my desktop. Also I don't lose focus of my work by having a full screen metro start menu popping up. Before I started using start8 I saw that disgusting metro screen many times throughout the day and hated it every time. The search is very crappy compared to the start button. It defaults to apps and you have to click a button to see settings or files which you never have to do with he start button. Its not very smart and actually worse. It other words the metro interface serves actually no purpose other than to slow me down so I shouldn't have to "avoid" it at all. I got "rid" of it and the stupid hot corners. Now Windows 8 is nice...I wish I could sell windows 8 with start8 installed. It would save me the tiresome comments to my friends to just install start8 and it will stop being confusing. I've saved many people from taking their computer back and I don't think I should have to.

1 person liked this | Puiu Puiu said:

The fact people avoid it is the problem. (just like I'm doing)

Don't build something that needs to be avoided because it doesn't work as well as the desktop counterpart.

The search is broken when you need it for the desktop, many good features that the start menu had where lost and replaced by some "pretty things" that nobody uses. (I want my "recently used /opened" back for software like photoshop, video player, notepad++, etc -- the simple right arrow that the start menu had next to these icons)

Metro just doesn't work. No windows, no drag and drop, no ..., no.. , I'm tired of writing.

Sure people like us can find some 3rd party software that give us back some of that functionality, but tell how many not so tech-savvy people will be able to find, install and use them?

1 person liked this | jacques said:

Microsoft is feeling the blues

ikesmasher said:

I dont like having extra third party software in the background. Its stupid to not make the start menu an option.

roxxas2 said:

Don't you get it? Microsoft doesn't care about the desktop market. They already have the entire market in their pocket. They want the tablet market now before it gets too popular and people stop using desktop and laptop PCs all together.

1 person liked this | Demigod001 said:

Still dont understand the vitriol about the loss of the start menu. I found I way more restrictive than metro. I multi task fine in windows eight the only thing I have missed is the quick task start with the last closed item, it would be great if they added that back to metro. Other than that I have had no issue with windows eight I find it much easier to organize much used programs in metro. But then I never found the start menu a particularly elegant method of sorting especially when a large number of programs are installed.

I will happily say I find most metro apps useless, baring finance it is nice and fast for updates, but the rest of windows eight is fine by me so these changes look quite useful to me.

Someone said if the fixed some issues with it they would gladly but it.

Sorry, buying it will not be an option.

You will be able to rent it for about 9.95 a month for the rest of your life. This allows Microsoft to ensure a steady flow of income.

Railman said:

Which is why I am looking at Linux for my next build. Why waste money on MS? I only need it for work and my employers can afford MS products.

Chazz said:

Win+W. That defaults to searching settings. Most people, like you. Just default to installing Start8 or any other BS they hear people constantly ramble about instead of actually seeing if there is a free and simple solution. I use the start menu same as you, to search for things(I believe I said that). I pin most used programs to my task bar, and search for the lesser used things. I do not have any shortcuts on my desktop and 10 programs on my task bar. My monitor's resolution is 2560x1600 so that is less than a third of my bar covered with pinned apps(not sure if this changes it, that's why I mention it.

1 person liked this | killeriii said:

My 2 cents:

When Windows 7 was in beta, every tech enthusiast I knew was trying it out. We all ran it well before it was even finished, and continued running it after.

I personally don't know anyone who runs Windows 8.

Nobody talks about it.

I don't think we'll be talking about Blue either.

I may be small change to M$, but I'm not alone. I will happily run Windows 7 until a better OS is released.

Windows Always BLEW.

Which is why I am looking at Linux for my next build. Why waste money on MS?

Because Linux is a lousy platform for gaming and HTPC (I.e. no Blu-Ray support). Not to mention that several of the apps (e.g. Carbonite, iTunes, MAGIX Movie Edit Pro, and HyperSnap) that I run on a day-to-day basis are nonexistent in Linux. That said, I'll stick with MS. Linux can go screw itself.

Railman said:

You can keep iTunes a pretty lousy program that works like treacle on MS.

You can keep iTunes a pretty lousy program that works like treacle on MS.

iTunes is a indeed a lousy program, but I agree with Guest on Linux. It's not even compatible with my printer (Canon brand) and my Logitech Webcam. And there is no native Linux versions of Adobe Photoshop and PowerArchiver.

Linux is great as an enterprise server, but as a consumer-ready desktop? It's a joke!

Puiu Puiu said:

It's the fullscreen man... the fullscreen on "windows" is killing us. Also metro lost some of functionality that the start menu had, but gained some that start menu didn't have (which btw I never use in comparison to the old ones that I used on a daily basis)

I don't want to organize my programs better in metro, I already have desktop icons for that. but since MS says that the plebs must do that since it's the future then that must be true and at 24 years I feel old already.

Personally I blame apple and apple die hards for this crap.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Personally I blame apple and apple die hards for this crap.
I don't blame Apple or their followers, for anything that Microsoft does.

Puiu Puiu said:

I don't blame Apple or their followers, for anything that Microsoft does.

just joking ^_^ but it's true that I don't really like apple

Railman said:

You can keep iTunes a pretty lousy program that works like treacle on MS.

I suspect there are drivers available for your Cannon Printer and Logitech webcam but not from Cannon or Logitech! I thought I might have issues getting my Kodak printer working with Linux but I was able to get it to work. I have a degree of sympathy with your comment about Linux not being a consumer ready desktop system but it is not far off from that position and personally I like a challenge.

As to choice of programs it is clear a number of Windows based programs will not work on Linux but there are often alternatives that are comparable. If you were using an Apple PC the same applies.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Once upon a time there was just data code, then one day Apple and Microsoft. Today Apple has it share of fans and Microsoft crowd. Apple users don't have to get their hands into the system. Microsoft user like to make they're system faster so they get their hands inside of it.

Once Apple was selling Computers without the keyboard you had to buy that extra. In all today Apple Store is crowded while the SONY store is not. Really can't compare the too though.

Apple store is mostly people who want something easy to use and looks good while using it. On Microsoft side or SONY store you get what you want in a system. You don't care how it looks just that it runs Windows on it.

Windows no matter who it is your all who use Windows will still get it no matter what the other side Apple crowd will say.

I'll stick with Windows for now like always. Android for tablets and smart phones. But today we are all lucky to have choices to buy what we want and to not to be locked into any one OS. Although ChromeOS laptop for $199 or less not bad if you just use Google Browser for everything.

Just a thought...