Anti-spam group, web host dispute leads to largest DDoS ever

By on March 27, 2013, 11:30 AM

If you felt like your Internet connection slowed down recently, it wasn’t just you. A recent spat between a spam-fighting group and a web hosting company caused a global slowdown of the Internet according to an anti-spam organization. What resulted was the biggest publically announced distributed denial of service attack in history that caused congestion and traffic jams around the globe.

A spam-fighting group by the name of Spamhaus added a Dutch company known as Cyberbunker to their blacklist which as you may know, is used by e-mail providers to help weed out spam. Cyberbunker is a massive facility housed in an old five-story NATO bunker that offers web hosting services to any site with the exception of those hosting child pornography or anything related to terrorism.

Spamhaus then became the victim of a massive DDoS attack on March 15 according to John Reid, a spokesperson for Spamhaus. Patrick Gilmore, chief architect at digital content provider Akamai Networks, said Cyberbunker was just angry they got caught sending spam and think they should be allowed to.

If you aren’t familiar with a DDoS attack, Gilmore likened it to someone with a machine gun peppering an entire crowd with bullets in an effort to shoot one particular person. As such, the attacks ultimately impacted millions of people around the globe as services like Netflix and others were down briefly. It’s essentially like a nuclear bomb, said CloudFlare CEO Matthew Prince, because it’s so easy to do a ton of damage.

Jordan Robson, a spokesperson for Cyberbunker, said via e-mail that the only thing they wish to say is that they do not, and never have, sent any spam.




User Comments: 12

Got something to say? Post a comment
wiyosaya said:

Maybe the do not send spam; however, hosting someone who sends spam is just as bad especially if nothing is done about it. Perhaps this is why spamhaus blacklisted them.

yowanvista yowanvista said:

The internet here has been slow during the whole day..

Guest said:

Hope the local authorities can cut the electric supply to these bozos.

Guest said:

Well placed axe on the transmission line?

davislane1 davislane1 said:

I hope someone appreciates the fact that this story first broke several hours before it was posted on TechSpot.

psycros psycros said:

I hope someone appreciates the fact that this story first broke several hours before it was posted on TechSpot.

No, I really don't think anyone does. Not even sure what point you're trying to make - do you see a giant "EXCLUSIVE" or "BREAKING NEWS" banner over this story? I don't. Techspot isn't really a "breaking" news site..their more into analysis and tech news aggregation. The only things they really need to fix is the comment system. Lack of markup support and editing capabilities are major oversights. Oh, and we could do without any more vulgar rants from Cliffy_B, too.

davislane1 davislane1 said:

No, I really don't think anyone does. Not even sure what point you're trying to make - do you see a giant "EXCLUSIVE" or "BREAKING NEWS" banner over this story? I don't. Techspot isn't really a "breaking" news site..their more into analysis and tech news aggregation. The only things they really need to fix is the comment system. Lack of markup support and editing capabilities are major oversights. Oh, and we could do without any more vulgar rants from Cliffy_B, too.

Wasn't trying to be critical, bud. I understand what Techspot is about. I just saw a little humor in an article concerning a 3+ hour old story that starts with the sentence, "If you felt like your Internet connection slowed down recently, it wasn't just you."

I guess this makes me 0 for 1 this week on jokes, unless I'm forgetting about another post that fell flat.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I guess this makes me 0 for 1 this week on jokes, unless I'm forgetting about another post that fell flat.
Now that you spelled it out, that is pretty funny.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Lol isn't it a touch ironic that the response to being listed as sending spam is to DDoS large portion of the web then claim "we never send spam"?

Guest said:

DDOs is more comparable to sending a whole bunch of delivery trucks to a specific location with the side effect of clogging up all the streets other people need to use too.

The bunker is unlikely to be the source of the DDOS as only a botnet can generate enough traffic to do a DDOS of this size. The place is likely only hosting the C&C server or not even that

Tygerstrike said:

Yet again the advancement of tech which was supposed to make our live easier is instead being used to slow it down. It was faster for me to just call someone then it was to reply to their emails. Does anyone else sense the irony in all of this or is it just me.....

TJGeezer said:

Yet again the advancement of tech which was supposed to make our live easier is instead being used to slow it down. It was faster for me to just call someone then it was to reply to their emails. Does anyone else sense the irony in all of this or is it just me.....

Depends on your perspective. Paperless if still faster than mailing a letter. Though not always better - http://vimeo.com/61275290

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.