Intel "Haswell" CPUs to arrive June 3

By on April 29, 2013, 2:30 PM

On Friday Intel announced that Haswell, its next-generation of Core processors, would arrive in about 3.33 quadrillion nanoseconds. In less esoteric terms, that means Haswell is slated to arrive on June 3 in the U.S. -- around the same date previous rumors indicated. June 3 (in U.S. time) is also the same day CompuTex kicks off in Taipei, which will actually be June 4 for the event's locals.

As the successor Ivy Bridge, Haswell is expected to usher in a newer generation of slightly cheaper Intel-based Ultrabooks equipped with lower power consumption, better thermals, higher performance and improved onboard graphics. Although Haswell is expected to debut with a rather familiar 22nm design, the upcoming processor will bring with it a new socket (LGA1150 or "H3"), Intel HD 4600 graphics and a redesigned 1,600 MHz memory controller.

Chips bearing Haswell's design purportedly began making their way to OEMs earlier this month and should appear in mass-produced consumer offerings toward the end of 2013.

According to Intel though, early Haswell processors suffer from a USB 3.0 bug which will prevent a "small subset" of USB SuperSpeed thumb drives from being detected after a computer enters and wakes from standby. It's worth noting CPU errata is not all that uncommon -- one of the most infamous cases being the now-ancient Pentium FDIV bug. There have been numerous other bugs since and will likely be many more to come, although issues resulting from such errata are often truly rare exceptions.

Tom's Hardware recently got their hands on a Haswell i7-4770K. Their benchmarks revealed a roughly 13-percent performance bump over the 4770K's Ivy Bridge counterpart. Anandtech also took a moment to speculate about Haswell's overclocking potential earlier this month.

TechGamer TechGamer said:

I dont see like an major difference from ivy bridge and haswell that makes me potentialy think of an upgrade maybe next year or the after as my i5-3570k will hold abit longer

JC713 JC713 said:

Haswell was supposed to be a Tock in the cycle. It was supposed to be like Gulf town to Sandy Bridge. It is like that on the mobile side, but not on the desktop side.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Lower power consumption is always a good thing for starters. I'll 'inherit' a new K series chip when they get released.

The USB issue is a chipset problem, not the CPU.

3 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I think that's rather sporting of Intel, to release the new line on the same day the old timers get their Social Security checks.

windmill007 said:

I have a i7-2600k @ 4.6ghz. I didn't see any reason to upgrade to 3rd gen or this 4th gen. I thought they are suppose to have a jump ever other gen. Think I will be good for many years now. Maybe that's why pc sales have slumped. Their is really no big jump in performance the last few years.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I'll be putting off my next ultrabook purchase until then. 3rd gen performance is extremely impressive, but better is good.

veLa veLa said:

This won't stop me from going with AMD.

Gopal Bhat Gopal Bhat said:

I'm impatiently waiting for Haswell laptops to be released.

JC713 JC713 said:

I cant wait for the i5 4670K.

EEatGDL said:

I'm planning to upgrade from C2D to Haswell at the end of June, a friend is telling me to wait for Broadwell, but I just can't wait indefinitely for an each time better generation.

JC713 JC713 said:

The rumor is that Broadwell will be the first consumer chipset to support DDR4. If you game, upgrade, if you dont game, wait. DDR3 will be outdated very quickly after Haswell. It is like how Core 2 Quads were the tech of the year, but were outdated a few years later because of the DDR2.

1 person liked this | Glycerin said:

I recently got myself a 2600K :) What a jump from a Q6600.

Glycerin said:

Um C2Q were never used with DDR, and later motherboards were made for C2Q and DDR3.

JC713 JC713 said:

I recently got myself a 2600K What a jump from a Q6600.

2600K was so 2011! (joke).

JC713 JC713 said:

Um C2Q were never used with DDR.

Um, every CPU uses DDR?

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Is it possible that its price is lower than ivybridge? :S

1 person liked this | dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

@JC713

Even the addition of DDR4 isn't going to be a major performance multiplier. DDR4 is voltage specced close to LoVo DDR3 now (1.2v vs. 1.25-1.35v), and there is certainly an overlap in bandwidth with DDR3-2400 to -2800 now in the marketplace compared with DDR4's starting point at 2133.

Probably depends on what Intel's take on the technology is- although being Intel, I'd err on the conservative side.

Personally I'd like more of a heads-up regarding whether Intel is definitely pursuing DDR4 eDRAM/stacked memory before committing to a wait for Broadwell or Skylake.

On the Haswell front, unless your afflicted with OCD or Benchmarkitis I wouldn't think an upgrade from Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge is going to net any tangible benefit for the majority of users

Is it possible that its price is lower than ivybridge? :S

Latest leaked price list >> here <<

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

I cant wait for the i5 4670K.

Should be a good chip. I wish they didn't waste good die space on their onboard graphics or at least gave options for ones without it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Um, every CPU uses DDR?

Not every CPU uses DDR. There are other memory standards other than DDR.

In defense of who you quoted, they were referencing first gen DDR, which is now sometimes referenced as DDR1.

JC713 JC713 said:

Well, we have to face the truth. The desktop is dying, and so is the business . Intel hovers to what makes money.

JC713 JC713 said:

Not every CPU uses DDR. There are other memory standards other than DDR.

I guess I just didnt understand. Sorry person who I quoted lol.

Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

Haswell is a 13-15% improvement over Ivybridge which was roughly a 10% improvement over SandyBridge ... 23-25% while using far less power is pretty significant.

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Actually, that equals a 24.3-26.5% jump over Sandy Bridge, so even better!

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Since they started putting graphics on their CPUs, they seem to have forgotten to work on improving the CPUs.

If it's 10% more performance stock than Ivy, but the overclockability of Sandy or Lynnfield, I'll be a happy bunny. I shall hold off judgement until I know that.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

[link] - basically a higher multiplier, as well as base clock options (at least for Z87 and Z85) up to 8GHz theoretical/LN2/He2. Of course, you'll have to wait until the CPUs arrive to find out what kind of numbers are actually possible on air/water.

Hallo104 said:

There will battery gains in three areas 1) Haswell 2) Haswell combined with an SSD 3) 9 cell batteries. When you buy a computer with these three features combined, it will have great battery life.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

3) 9 cell batteries.
I'm not sure why you think 9 cell batteries will give greater battery gain. It depends on the size and number of cells, not the number of cells alone.

Cells come in different sizes, 9 small cells may not even equal the power output of one large cell. The only thing that 9 cells will have over 1 cell, is greater voltage output potential. Thats not to mention that if the 9 smaller cells are placed in parallel, they could actually equal the power output (Voltage and Amperage) of a larger cell.

You#re obviously not a power user, diddling about with facebook and bejewelled will do fine with your exising CPU. Power users need all the extra speed they can get, and they need it yesterday, at lower watts.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

We have no idea as to whom or why, you are addressing.