Microsoft launches YouTube app, Google demands it taken down

By on May 16, 2013, 6:00 PM

Google yesterday issued a cease-and-desist letter to Microsoft, demanding Redmond pull its YouTube app from the Windows Phone Store. The app has been available for over a week; however, it violates YouTube's API usage terms. Google says Microsoft has until May 22 to withdraw or change the app before deeper consequences are triggered -- possibly even legal recourse.

Microsoft's primary offense is the app's ability to strip advertisements from YouTube videos -- an entirely deliberate feature, according to reports. Additionally, the WP8-based app provides users with ability to download videos to their devices -- another mark against Microsoft in its use of YouTube's API.

When ZDNet asked Microsoft if something had changed policy-wise, allowing them to release such a YouTube app, the company stated, "Windows Phone invested additional engineering resources against existing APIs to re-architect a Windows Phone app that delivers a great YouTube experience, including support for unique Windows Phone 8 features such Live Tiles and Kids Corner. Microsoft did not receive any additional technical support to create the Windows Phone YouTube app."

Shortly after Google issued its notice, Microsoft responded that it would be "happy to include advertising", but claims it needs Google to provide the "necessary" APIs. An "API" is a set of high-level instructions commonly used in software and web-based services, allowing developers to utilize features in a simplified way.

At the time of this writing, the app is still available for download and there have been no outward signs of Microsoft hustling to remove it.

Microsoft's official response is as follows:

"YouTube is consistently one of the top apps downloaded by smartphone users on all platforms, but Google has refused to work with us to develop an app on par with other platforms. Since we updated the YouTube app to ensure our mutual customers a similar YouTube experience, ratings and feedback have been overwhelmingly positive.  We’d be more than happy to include advertising but need Google to provide us access to the necessary APIs. In light of Larry Page’s comments today calling for more interoperability and less negativity, we look forward to solving this matter together for our mutual customers."

The "necessary APIs" part is a bit misleading. The APIs Microsoft appears to be interested in are for metadata only; these bits and pieces of information about each video aren't really necessary for displaying ads. Rather, the difficulty for Microsoft is its desire to craft more than just a WP8 app which essentially opens to YouTube's website; the software-maker wants to build an app that follows WP8's tile-based design and sports its own look and feel. To do this though, Microsoft needs access to YouTube's video metadata -- data which Google doesn't seem eager to part with.

1 person liked this | Tygerstrike said:

And it starts again.......

Now its M$ trying to skirt a system. Jeez why cant they all just work together for the benifit of the consumer base instead of just trying to stab ppl in the back for profit.

Lionvibez said:

Not a huge deal I can already rip videos directly from youtube as is.

2 people like this | RH00D RH00D said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

Google should either shut up about Microsoft's app or suck it up and develop their apps for Windows Phone.

It's not like Google is some small startup that can't support WP because they don't have enough money or developers. They're just playing hard ball with Microsoft to spite them.

TheBigFatClown said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

They are competitors, you realize that right? Why would a company help another company who is a competitor.

Google to Microsoft: "Sure, we'll right an application for your mobile phone even though it might cost us billions of dollars".

What you call spite I like to refer to as just plain old common business sense.

Chazz said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

What you call spite I like to refer to as just plain old common business sense.

" In light of Larry Page?s comments today calling for more interoperability and less negativity, we look forward to solving this matter together for our mutual customers."

Did you listen to the keynote? Google said they are against everything you just said.

4 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

I think you are misunderstanding the situation... Google doesn't have to develop apps for competitors' operating systems, that is entirely up to the programmers of said system - or app developers that work within that ecosystem. It is not Google's responsibility to build specific programs for other companies to use. They may CHOOSE to at some point, if it benefits Google, but they are in no way required to do anything. Google has developed an open system that anyone can link into, provided they follow a few basic rules. This is an example of Microsoft blatantly trying to skirt around those rules, to make their video player app seem cooler.

Google hosts YouTube, and the advertising and viewing hits are what keeps the YouTube lights on - the costs of keeping millions of videos up and available for billions of views is not a trivial thing. Microsoft doesn't care what it costs Google in advertising impact, they just want something to make their phone more attractive. If they can't play by the rules, they should just spend untold billions to make their own version of YouTube, put a huge marketing push behind it to let people know it exists, link it with Bing, and then they can do whatever they want with it. Until then, they need to play by the rules of usage, just like everyone else is supposed to.

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

What you call spite I like to refer to as just plain old common business sense.

If that was true then why does Google develop their apps for iOS? Apple is a way bigger threat to Google than Microsoft is.

Google's revenue depends on people using their services. So it would make more sense to develop for as many platforms as possible so that your services, like YouTube, can reach as large an audience as possible.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Google is a bunch of sh*t. MS does their work and they complain. Cool.

Camikazi said:

What you call spite I like to refer to as just plain old common business sense.

Well does Apple still use Google as the default search engine on iOS? Does MS use Google search at all (am guessing they use Bing)? That might be the answer to that question, scratch my back I scratch yours. No reason for Google to help MS if MS won't help Google and no reason to let MS break Google's rules either.

2 people like this | Chazz said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

I don't think you understand what google has been doing to keep their apps off windows phone platform. Here is what google has done so far.

They removed EAS support from Gmail and forced windows users to use the crappy IMAP. They blamed Microsoft's proprietary EAS format and said CardDav and CarDal was open and Microsoft should support open platforms. Microsoft is complying but just a few weeks later Google announced they are dropping carddav in favor of a proprietary system.

Google limits windows phone proper use on Gmails mobile website. In order to get around this users had to spoof their phone as an iPhone, and then everything magically works. That's just a few lines of code google has to add.

The third party youtube apps didn't use googles youtube api for a very long time(not sure if they even do now) because they didn't have access. Metrotube(the most popular youtube app) has been broken many times as workarounds have been patched.

Google blocked Maps use from windows phone users.

Google has said they will not produce apps for WP as the market doesn't merit it. There is no monetary gain but, they want this app taking down stating monetary loss. They suggest users use m.youtube.com. The thing is the mobile site doesn't even have ads. They don't want this app on the platform as it doesn't play ads, they don't want to make an app that enables adds and they recommend you using an alternative that doesn't have ads. They gave Microsoft until when? The 22nd? If google adds ad services to the mobile site by then I'll shut up. I doubt they will though.

Google has stated that microsoft won't let them use their services siting proprietary reasons. Skype could be added to gmail, or atleast in the past. In the same breath,basically, google announced that they are dropping support for XMPP(which skype uses and is a standard) for their own proprietary standards.

Microsoft is no saint and both google and microsoft needs to stop their childish bickering, because us customers are the only ones losing. I never buy or sign up to Apple's services because I knew what I'd be getting into and I didn't like it. When I signed up for Gmail when it came out and youtube, I thought I knew what I was getting into. But boy was I wrong. I have no alternative to Gmail and Youtube but that should've been a good thing because those services are great. But now Google and Microsoft are comparing **** sizes and I may have to find something else to use. I don't like that at all.

It's been a long 3 years passive aggressive behavior back and forth, so I can't remember everything in this long road of waiting and asking for google apps/compliance. There is definitely more I'll edit if I remember.

This has nothing to do with markshare, apps, money or ads. They don't like each other for some unkown reason and customers are paying for it.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

Hmmm... MS trying to do good for their customers by providing access to a popular service and Google doesn't like that? Man, I never thought that Google would be the company to go downhill like this -_-

Rudy Dajoh Rudy Dajoh said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

I think, it's more like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Google that yourself.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: you violate our rule!!

Microsoft: Then give your code

Google: What?? You need me to type "youtube api" on google search engine?

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

IMO I see it like this:

Microsoft: Please develop your apps for our platform?

Google: Shove your platform where the sun don't shine.

Microsoft: Ok then, we'll do it ourselves I guess...

Google: Wahhh Wahhh, no don't do that! Wahhh

What you call spite I like to refer to as just plain old common business sense.

You mean like how Microsoft is building Google talk into Outlook or Microsoft glass app for Android or how they're building a Office app for Android and iOS in 2014

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

What you call spite I like to refer to as just plain old common business sense.

You can change your search to Google instead of bing in WP

Rudy Dajoh Rudy Dajoh said:

My answer for M$:

Google "youtube api" and you'll get the API in no time.. Try that :D

1 person liked this | Guest said:

It seems to me Google has become the new Microsoft... Do No Evil - BS!

Codepimp Codepimp said:

And here I thought Google was all about sharing the internet

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

And here I thought Google was all about sharing the internet
They are sharing every damned advertisement they a can promote, and making sure they are seen by all. I actually enjoyed Youtube once upon a time. Now I spend as little time as possible watching their ads, regardless of how many videos I would like to see.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

And here I thought Google was all about sharing the internet

You should try using Ad Block. It works.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Bah! They're like petty little children going at it. Both companies have more than enough money. Why can't they learn to play nicely?

TechGamer TechGamer said:

Meanwhile the battle for power over the pc world continues.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You should try using Ad Block. It works.

If you tell me that using Ad Block will cast a vote of negativity toward the use of ads, I will consider. If Ad Block simply ignores the ads, I don't want to cast a silent false sense of comfort vote with the use of ads.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

You can set it up to your liking. I use it alongside Do Not Track Me. I get very few ad's but bear in mind I use Chrome browser. With another browser your mileage may vary.

supertech supertech said:

Good for Microsoft. I don't like these conglomerate powerhouses holding end users hostage. I want the best experience possible and all companies including Google should strive to provide that experience to me.

TheBigFatClown said:

So you bought a Microsoft phone and now you want Microsoft's competitor to make your phone experience better...okay then...

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Your looking the wrong direction. Microsoft made the experience better in this instance. It is Microsoft's competitors that are complaining about the experience is side stepping their ads. Re-configuring the apps to include ads will only worsen the experience not make it better.

Totally agree

otester said:

What annoys me is Google can even do anything to them legally at all, if Google doesn't want Microsoft to do what's doing then it should find a technical way to stop them, otherwise this is just bullying.

1 person liked this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

See, that's the mentality I don't get. Google OWNS YouTube, and make no mistake about it, they are a business. The ads in YouTube do provide Google with profit, but at the base level they also help pay for the massive hosting costs associated with all of that video content, comment system, etc. I don't see this as bullying, I see this as Google defending its property against a huge company who is trying to skirt the basic rules to make their product look better to consumers. All at the expense of Google, I might add. This isn't Google "doing evil" as some have implied - this is Google defending themselves. Would you rather Google just rolled over and took it? Sets a very dangerous precedent there, and opens the door to massive potential abuses. Unless you really don't care if YouTube folds and goes away? Don't delude yourself, if Google finds that YouTube has become a money pit, they will pull the plug and move on. That's business.

The bottom line is this: while I agree with Chazz and others that this is really all just a pissing match between 2 mega-powerhouse corporations, the fact is that Google owns YouTube, and can set whatever requirements they feel is proper to protect their investment and expenses. That puts Google in the right, and Microsoft in the wrong on this topic, plain and simple. As I said before, if Microsoft doesn't like it, they can go out and spend billions to make their own competing video hosting system, then do whatever they want with it.

otester said:

Depends where you stand on intellectual property, I am firmly against it.

Chazz said:

But, how can they make that argument when they suggest that those same users go to m.youtube.com. A site that uses HTML5; and as such, doesn't support Advertising in the way youtube does advertising. They will get ZERO advertising dollars regardless. I'd agree with you if this wasn't the case.

Tygerstrike said:

It really doesnt matter IF Google wants to play nice with MS. Microsoft is useing a Google owned property to make sales. MS is kinda boned here. For every min that goes by that MS has that app up, Google is loosing a set amount of advertising revenue. Also tack on to it that MS is useing Youtube as a draw for the phone w/o Googles express consent. This could impact MS heavily. The legal ramifications could have MS paying a very very large sum of cash to Google. It gets worse for MS for every day that goes by. Since there was a C and D letter from Google, everytime that app is downloaded puts that much more cash into Googles coffers. Its Kinda sad that MS had to resort to this level of BS.

Chazz said:

Except google will have to prove these damages. I don't think there is a version of youtube(including Google's website) that supports ads on windows phone. I'm quite sure they can argue about trademarks, but that's easily fixed.

I mean, I'm no lawyer but I do know one thing. Microsoft has good ones, I think theres something that they know/see that we don't. No corporation would just do shit illegally if they felt they couldn't. See: YouTube as the prime example of this. Record companies/news companies absolutely hate youtube. Their content is being displayed without their permission every second. Google does it anyways, and wants to fight it in court. I don't think any of us here have the legal expertise that these big companies have. We'll see what happens in the next few months.

Tygerstrike said:

@Chazz

Actually it would be easy for Google to prove any damages lost due to no ad revenue. All they would have to provide is how many "ad clicks" they recieve in any 1 min section of time. Yes Google could inflate this number, but normally there would be a auditor assigned to gather that information.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well, I never said it had to make sense... But, YouTube is Google's property, and they have every right to govern how it is used. If a direct competitor wants to use their property, they need to follow whatever rules have been laid down. Doesn't really matter if we like it, or even agree with Google's stance... It's just business.

Well Microsoft should suck it up. See this is what happens when you step on someones toe. Google is sore probably about all those stupid bing ads. Now they want to get Microsoft back. Kudos to them.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

Google are the new evil empire. Everything they do is either offensive, intrusive, or cheap. They ripped off the iPhone so blatantly Steve Jobs devoted his last days to fighting them legally. They put vans and cameras everywhere, recording our every move. They create Glass, their most advanced (that we know of) invention to monitor our private lives. They create a search app for Windows 8, RT, et al... and yet, when another company tries to create an app to support one of their own entities, they throw a fit.

I despise them with a passion.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I don't think a lot of people understand what wrong here. Google has no problem with them making a youtube app. They just don't want the ads removed and videos openly downloadable because that is how they make money. Those ads that everyone is complaining about is what helps fund ALL of google's free services. And even if they didn't need the ads for money flow, they still clearly stated in the usage terms that app developers can use youtube, as long as they don't strip the ads and make videos downloadable. Regardless of their reasons, they still own youtube and have a right to tell people how they can use it.

Sure their are other services you can use to strip the ads and download videos anyways, but that doesn't make it right. Microsoft doing this to Google would be analogous to Google releasing their own cracked version of Windows 8 and making a statement like this:

"Windows 8 is consistently a top OS downloaded by computer users, but Microsoft has refused to work with us to develop an Google OS on par with Windows 8. Since we updated Windows 8 with Google services and made it free to ensure our mutual customers a similar Windows experience, ratings and feedback have been overwhelmingly positive. We?d be more than happy to include Windows services in the OS in the future, if Microsoft cooperates better. In light of Larry Page?s comments today calling for more interoperability and less negativity, we look forward to solving this matter together for our mutual customers."

Randomthom Randomthom said:

This story is the straw that's broken the camel's back for me, I'm currently going through the process of changing all my emails to go to a non-gmail account and will then close my google accounts. Not sure about using chrome, I like it as software but I might ditch it too...

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

In 2012, about 95% of Google's total revenue came from ads [1]. They literally need them to stay afloat and continue to offer all of their costumers so many great, free products (not to mention the free internet they are rolling out with Google Fiber) [2]. Microsoft is trying to become competitive by basically stealing the ad revenue straight from Google. Of course Microsoft wants it to be a completely ad free service with instant free downloads, it's not even their product. If Microsoft got away with this, it would set a new standard that anyone can completely disregard Google's terms of use, leading to a massive drop in Google's revenue. Then Google could possibly have to compensate by directly charging money to use youtube or charge for some other service.

Microsoft needs to do everyone a favor and just develop their own products to bring in customers, not cheat and sabotage legitimately decent companies.

[1] http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html

[2] https://fiber.google.com/about/

1 person liked this | RH00D RH00D said:

[1] http://investor.google.com/financial/tables.html

[2] https://fiber.google.com/about/

So what you're saying is Windows Phone users should just use m.youtube.com where there is also zero ads? That will definitely bring back that missing add revenue! Genius.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

m.youtube.com does have ads... http://www.youtube.com/yt/advertise/mobile.html

2 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. This comes as a surprise to you, why exactly?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It is a good app TBH, prefer to clunky experience android app offered, and I don't see why MS and Google can't work to sort this out, unless ........

Probably, Google is starting to see that WP is taking root in some markets, so they are trying to stifle what little momentum it has gained.

Qualitatively speaking, comparing iOS/WP with Android is like comparing a Rolls Royce Phantom with an Alpha Romeo (put model number here). Since, the RR will always work with at most ease and effortlessness, reliability, and smooth performance, whereas the Alpha works only for periods of times, and for the rest, you are left with a car which may frustrates at most unexpected times.

RH00D RH00D said:

m.youtube.com does have ads... http://www.youtube.com/yt/advertise/mobile.html

That's interesting. I just watched the exact same video on my Windows Phone and desktop PC and only the Windows Phone m.youtube.com one didn't have an ad.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Do you know what a Roadblock ad is? [link]

After looking at that, Google "youtube mobile showing skippable ads" and tell me what you see.

All of the other youtube apps have ads. Google is not just showing ads to spite the masses; they actually need money to keep doing what they do. Businesses need money to run. Weird how that works, I know.