Weekend Open Forum: Do you mainly buy new or used games?

By on June 21, 2013, 6:15 PM
gaming, ps4, gaming console, used games, xbox one

The console gaming community was up in arms after word came out that Microsoft’s next-generation console would require an internet connection every 24 hours and control how people buy used games -- not outright ban the practice though. The pressure was such that the company saw no other option than to give up on the policies it had been working on as part of its vision for the Xbox’s future. Gamers were heard.

Unfortunately you can’t have the good without some of the bad as well. As a result of Microsoft’s reversal, the ability to share games and digital content with up to 10 friends or family members is gone, and so is disc-free gaming or accessing your games library from any Xbox One, not just yours.

For those of you considering a next generation console: how often do you buy used games compared to new ones? Also, putting aside that online checks every 24-hours or no offline play do feel anti-consumer, would something like that have affected you directly due to lack of reliable broadband or otherwise?

Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

All new, but never early. My rig is usually a couple of years behind - so my game buying is too.

2 people like this | TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

PC only gamer, so all I buy is new.

And I have no problem with people selling/buying used games. To me, once you buy the product, it's yours to do what you want. Just like cars, clothing, furniture, artwork, etc.

BlueDrake said:

Just a dedicated PC gamer, so really it's somewhat difficult to get used games. Unless you count those older cd / floppy games, but that's beside the point. Also no real issues with game sharing / selling, console users are so used to that though. So they were outraged with the changes in all honesty.

I'd "possibly" be more favoring of Microsoft's prior decisions, but instead of like every 24h do possibly once a week or two? Just don't do such an overkill move like 24h, and more frequently if you're on a friend's console. That just seems an outrage of sorts in terms of time checking in, making sure everything is all proper.

Also usually tend to buy PC games on sale, unless it's already a really low price on a good game. I tend to avoid high priced purchasing, and never considered pre-ordering. Unless it came with like early access at least, because you can see if it's worth continuing and sometimes a bit cheaper.

Always new.

When I first got into gaming around 2000, I bought a few used games. But they ALWAYS froze up and or didn't work. Then I would take them back to the game store and they would only give me half credit on the used game that didn't work.

I'm sure things are better now....but I don't trust them.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

New,,, buying my games digitally for a few years now, all my old ones are sitting on a server if I ever wanted to download and play them again, or can buy older games thru Steam cheap if I ever got the urge. Still have a few physical copies of games from over 10 yrs ago like Delta Force by Novalogic I use to play it online with dial up lol. The original Rainbow 6 comes to mind too.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

I buy new off of Steam or Humble Bundle. I have the patience to wait most of the time for a good sale.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lets just say new or used, I draw a line at $30.

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

Console - New and used, whichever gives me the best value option.

PC - Steam sales and occasionally retail prices.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Pretty much all new, sometimes on games I didn't have to have I would buy it used.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

on games I didn't have to have I would buy it used.
Wouldn't that be all of them?

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Lol, well when I say "have to have", I mean games that I'm really looking forward to while some games Ill buy if the price is right.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I buy a mixture of new and used. I generally buy new when it comes to the gaming series' that are my favorites and buy used when I decide to try something different.

tonylukac said:

Unusual to talk about used games on a pc gaming website. Gamestop doesn't sell used pc games.

fimbles fimbles said:

Steam sales for me.

1 person liked this | Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

I havent bought a new game in 20 years and I dont plan to start any time soon.

1 person liked this | mailpup mailpup said:

Not everyone is reading the article. Keep in mind that the subject of the article and the question is console games not PC games.

egroves egroves said:

I really like using steam. They have sales that help reduce that crazy 59 bucks you have to spend. Console games...I like to rent at redbox if I think it will be a few days to beat. If its a game like Halo I buy new when it comes out. Not a big fan of used game stores but I use them from time to time.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Rarely but usually new (physical, because I really am pumped for the game)

Sometimes used (because it's a childhood game)

But mostly digital (because of Steam) :p

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

The main question though is: Weekend Open Forum: Do you mainly buy new or used games? It does not specify console games only. Also you can buy used PC games on CD. Usually in a bargain bin in some stores.

mailpup mailpup said:

I disagree with your interpretation of the main question. The question was explicitly stated not implied.

To be more specific this was the question in the article. PCs and PC games were never mentioned in the article only consoles. You may be drawing your conclusion from the title of the article which alone is not the full story.

psycros psycros said:

Haven't bought a new console game since the NES and don't even own one now. I average $200-250 a year on PC hardware and I can always run anything that's been released. Even then I rarely buy new - and by "new" I mean both recent releases and original copies of older games. I either get used games off friends (including reg codes and so on) when their done with them or I drag my portable rig to a friend's house and get something off GOG or a Steam sale. If I had broadband I'd probably never buy a physical game unless it was a collector's edition. Since I back up my hard drives regularly there's little chance of ever needing to re-download due to system corruption, drive failure, etc. Yes, digital downloads are cool IF you have broadband and IF you don't mind being spied upon a little. Of course there are multiple ways of mitigating Steam's intrusions, if you do a bit of research...

psycros psycros said:

I meant to add that if I *did* own a console or was going to buy one, I would still never buy a game until it had been out for a month or more. I'm not interested in being an unpaid beta tester or throwing money away on some over-hyped piece of crap. Even if I do hear from trusted sources that a game is good, I'll wait till the price drops a bit. Besides, have more games than time to play them and the mods generally only improve with time.

MrAnderson said:

I buy most of my games new, the majority of which I wait to go on sale. I purchase much more at lower prices.

59.99 is still pretty steep price when a lot of the stuff has been disappointing. I wait for title to get reviewed for development defects and reports of terrible implementation. I'll pay the high costs for those titles that are practically assured hits, like "The Last of Us". Nevertheless, for those hard to find or out of print, I'm willing to get used - but in good condition.

1 person liked this | Saintnsinner said:

Used most of the time. I feel like 59.99 is outrageously expensive for a game you may not even like. There has been several times I've paid full price for a new release to find out the game sucks or was to short and I sold it on ebay to recoop my losses. I think these companies have priced themselves right out of the market. Control your cost and put out quality original games that are afordable and you will make money. I just bought the PS3 last year and I've been having a great time playing the PS3 back catalog for about 10.00 to 20.00 a game. My loyalty is to me and my pocket and I don't care about your million dollar corporation.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I usually buy new games, if I don't want to pay $60 I usually wait 9-12 months and buy games when they drop in price. The only time I buy used games is when a game is out of print and difficult to find.

Business Direct Business Direct said:

For the PC usually only Steam sales but once in a while I buy retail. For the PS3 I got nothing but used and one new.

Spykezxp Spykezxp said:

I usually buy new games when I'm buying for the PC. Used or "on sale" new games for the console. I think that paying $60 is way too much for the quality of games being released for console. This should be lower. probably around the $39.99 to 49.99 range (depending on the game itself). That is the main reason I switched back to PC gaming.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Iv not bought a hard copy since WoW: WotLK For me, it is all digital these days, I don't even have a Optical Drive ^^

rvnwlfdroid said:

Most of my gaming is on PC. My 2 main sources are Steam and GOG. As far a consoles go I do have a 360 but the only games I have for that are geared for Exercise/Kinect.

Railman said:

Just to annoy Mailpup I only buy second hand games for the PC. However my wife has bought new games for the Wii but not for some time. I am an occasional gamer, but plan to play more games once I have built a new PC.

Ckorik Ckorik said:

Both - if the used price is within 10 bucks of new I buy new. Otherwise I buy used. With the exception that if I'm buying the game as a gift I will only buy new.

PC - Steam so new but in sale.

Console - New but again when dirt cheap usually.

I get that some games are more impressive than others. I love the Uncharted series. Great story, great single player. Naughty Dog IMO got that game right. And people praise Last of us already.

As much as that game will probably be as fabulous, I would never pay £40 for a new game.

As many on here before have commented PC games are usually around £30 new.

Why the hell would anyone pay full price for a game these days on release, when there is usually DLC which frankly should have been included in the game. Oh thats not how you milk ****** of there monies.

But wait, they can do GOTY editions, and classics for £18 not £40 and £30 for the DLC.

£18 or £70, £18 or £70 ... let me think about it ...

JC713 JC713 said:

New. My friend is a huge used game buyer though.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Neither. More important things to spend money on lol

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I have to buy new games. I'm a PC only gamer.

mGuy said:

What Darksadoe said. Plus an occasional Indie Royale.

drjekel_mrhyde drjekel_mrhyde said:

New. Don't want to buy someone else problems, just like with a used car

1 person liked this | jackal2687 said:

I usually buy new games and seldom a used game. I rarely buy used because I HATE scratches on the disc and I will make my friends buy it from me if they scratch it.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I will make my friends buy it from me if they scratch it.
Thats a good policy.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

On PC I buy my games from Green Man Gaming or via Steam sales. On consoles I occasionally buy a full price game but its got to be worth playing multiple times otherwise I would sell it to pay for the next game. There is no point having shelves of old DVD boxed games I won't play as I don't have the space. Better for someone else to put them to good use and I can buy myself something with more lifespan.

Here is how I see the whole consoles market. A bunch of greed, lazy corporations milking off their brainwash consumers as much money as possible before they stop buying with every garbage iteration release (eg. MW series).

Xero07 said:

New but after discounts.

1 person liked this | mailpup mailpup said:

Just to annoy Mailpup I only buy second hand games for the PC.
You are so playing with fire.

Generally used since I don't really game as much anymore. I only buy new if I really like a game thats coming out.

Who the hell waits for a game to price drop after a year as someone said. That's just crazy. by then there will be something else out n you will likely have forgotten all about the game. Games drop in price over time but it doesn't take a year unless your just cheap and want only $20 single player games. Waiting a year for a price drop for a multiplayer game is just stupid. With that mentality I'm glad I'll never see that person online. He'll be the one, how do I play the game? Damn noobs.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I buy from Steam. I bought Black Ops 2 from Best Buy cause it was the only place still selling it for $40, where everyone else was selling it for $60. That was about a month after release.

Since my son plays consoles, he gets most games new but I don't spend $60 on most of the games. I try and limit most to $30 or under. Every now and then he gets a used game from his mom(my ex). I've learned over the years not to buy when a game first comes out due to price but really alot of games are just so buggy these days. Quality testing is a joke, the only real testing done is by the consumer. It's so sad that game companies are getting away with that.

Prosercunus said:

With console games I buy new and unopened games at steep discounts (months after release) for like $20 or less.

With PC games it is 99% steam sales.

1 person liked this | coppersloane coppersloane said:

Always used for console gaming. Most often new for PC gaming, because I get them digitally. Console gaming cracks me up. Game comes out... wait a few months... game is sold 'used' for half the price. What's the point, then, of buying it at release? Because you can't wait a few months? Not enough of a reason for me. I've got enough games to keep me busy while I wait.

coppersloane coppersloane said:

Saintnsinner is my hero.

"My loyalty is to me and my pocket and I don't care about your million dollar corporation."

You said it, my friend. I bought a PS3 in the past year too. I love that I'm buying most titles for 75% off. I couldn't care less that the box doesn't have shrink wrap on it.

1 person liked this | coppersloane coppersloane said:

Remember Aliens: Colonial Marines? I almost bought that new. I'd have been really pissed off if I did.