Weekend Open Forum: Do you mainly buy new or used games?

Jos

Staff

open forum

The console gaming community was up in arms after word came out that Microsoft’s next-generation console would require an internet connection every 24 hours and control how people buy used games -- not outright ban the practice though. The pressure was such that the company saw no other option than to give up on the policies it had been working on as part of its vision for the Xbox’s future. Gamers were heard.

Unfortunately you can’t have the good without some of the bad as well. As a result of Microsoft’s reversal, the ability to share games and digital content with up to 10 friends or family members is gone, and so is disc-free gaming or accessing your games library from any Xbox One, not just yours.

For those of you considering a next generation console: how often do you buy used games compared to new ones? Also, putting aside that online checks every 24-hours or no offline play do feel anti-consumer, would something like that have affected you directly due to lack of reliable broadband or otherwise?

Permalink to story.

PC only gamer, so all I buy is new.

And I have no problem with people selling/buying used games. To me, once you buy the product, it's yours to do what you want. Just like cars, clothing, furniture, artwork, etc.

Just a dedicated PC gamer, so really it's somewhat difficult to get used games. Unless you count those older cd / floppy games, but that's beside the point. Also no real issues with game sharing / selling, console users are so used to that though. So they were outraged with the changes in all honesty.

I'd "possibly" be more favoring of Microsoft's prior decisions, but instead of like every 24h do possibly once a week or two? Just don't do such an overkill move like 24h, and more frequently if you're on a friend's console. That just seems an outrage of sorts in terms of time checking in, making sure everything is all proper.

Also usually tend to buy PC games on sale, unless it's already a really low price on a good game. I tend to avoid high priced purchasing, and never considered pre-ordering. Unless it came with like early access at least, because you can see if it's worth continuing and sometimes a bit cheaper. :)

Always new.
When I first got into gaming around 2000, I bought a few used games. But they ALWAYS froze up and or didn't work. Then I would take them back to the game store and they would only give me half credit on the used game that didn't work.

I'm sure things are better now....but I don't trust them.

New,,, buying my games digitally for a few years now, all my old ones are sitting on a server if I ever wanted to download and play them again, or can buy older games thru Steam cheap if I ever got the urge. Still have a few physical copies of games from over 10 yrs ago like Delta Force by Novalogic I use to play it online with dial up lol. The original Rainbow 6 comes to mind too.

I buy new off of Steam or Humble Bundle. I have the patience to wait most of the time for a good sale.

Console - New and used, whichever gives me the best value option.
PC - Steam sales and occasionally retail prices.

I buy a mixture of new and used. I generally buy new when it comes to the gaming series' that are my favorites and buy used when I decide to try something different.

Unusual to talk about used games on a pc gaming website. Gamestop doesn't sell used pc games.
Not everyone is reading the article. Keep in mind that the subject of the article and the question is console games not PC games.

I really like using steam. They have sales that help reduce that crazy 59 bucks you have to spend. Console games...I like to rent at redbox if I think it will be a few days to beat. If its a game like Halo I buy new when it comes out. Not a big fan of used game stores but I use them from time to time.

Rarely but usually new (physical, because I really am pumped for the game)
Sometimes used (because it's a childhood game)

But mostly digital (because of Steam) :p

Unusual to talk about used games on a pc gaming website. Gamestop doesn't sell used pc games.
Not everyone is reading the article. Keep in mind that the subject of the article and the question is console games not PC games.

The main question though is: Weekend Open Forum: Do you mainly buy new or used games? It does not specify console games only. Also you can buy used PC games on CD. Usually in a bargain bin in some stores.

I disagree with your interpretation of the main question. The question was explicitly stated not implied.
The article said:
For those of you considering a next generation console: how often do you buy used games compared to new ones?
To be more specific this was the question in the article. PCs and PC games were never mentioned in the article only consoles. You may be drawing your conclusion from the title of the article which alone is not the full story.

Haven't bought a new console game since the NES and don't even own one now. I average $200-250 a year on PC hardware and I can always run anything that's been released. Even then I rarely buy new - and by "new" I mean both recent releases and original copies of older games. I either get used games off friends (including reg codes and so on) when their done with them or I drag my portable rig to a friend's house and get something off GOG or a Steam sale. If I had broadband I'd probably never buy a physical game unless it was a collector's edition. Since I back up my hard drives regularly there's little chance of ever needing to re-download due to system corruption, drive failure, etc. Yes, digital downloads are cool IF you have broadband and IF you don't mind being spied upon a little. Of course there are multiple ways of mitigating Steam's intrusions, if you do a bit of research...

I meant to add that if I *did* own a console or was going to buy one, I would still never buy a game until it had been out for a month or more. I'm not interested in being an unpaid beta tester or throwing money away on some over-hyped piece of crap. Even if I do hear from trusted sources that a game is good, I'll wait till the price drops a bit. Besides, have more games than time to play them and the mods generally only improve with time.

I buy most of my games new, the majority of which I wait to go on sale. I purchase much more at lower prices.

59.99 is still pretty steep price when a lot of the stuff has been disappointing. I wait for title to get reviewed for development defects and reports of terrible implementation. I'll pay the high costs for those titles that are practically assured hits, like "The Last of Us". Nevertheless, for those hard to find or out of print, I'm willing to get used - but in good condition.

Used most of the time. I feel like 59.99 is outrageously expensive for a game you may not even like. There has been several times I've paid full price for a new release to find out the game sucks or was to short and I sold it on ebay to recoop my losses. I think these companies have priced themselves right out of the market. Control your cost and put out quality original games that are afordable and you will make money. I just bought the PS3 last year and I've been having a great time playing the PS3 back catalog for about 10.00 to 20.00 a game. My loyalty is to me and my pocket and I don't care about your million dollar corporation.

Back