Mozilla flaunts new Firefox logo, launches Firefox 23 beta with Social API

By on June 28, 2013, 1:00 PM

Mozilla has rolled out Firefox 23, the foundation's latest beta release for PC, Mac and Android platforms. Unlike most betas though, this latest release is accompanied by yet a more emblematic milestone: a newly design logo. The new artwork is slated to appear across all other Firefox versions, websites and promotional materials within the "coming weeks".

Download Firefox 23 Beta now: Windows / Mac OS / Linux / Release Notes

The new design sports a mostly softer appearance with less shine and fewer intricacies. Interestingly, the latest artwork resembles Firefox's first design more closely than any other prior logos. The emblem's last update was in 2009, when it received brighter colors and an undeniable touch of glossy shine.

With Firefox 23 beta, Mozilla is introducing a "Mixed Content Blocker" which prevents non-secure HTTP elements from loading within HTTPS websites. Having both types of content enables unscrupulous page designers (and hackers) to circumvent HTTPS security through scripting. Also appearing in 23 beta is DXVA2 support (DirectX video acceleration) which will speed up H.264 encoding in Windows Vista/7/8, a network activity monitor for developers and a more simplified interface for plug-in notifications.

Perhaps one of the most noticeable changes though, is the introduction of Mozilla's Social API. Firefox now has a "Share" button which allows users to share content across various social networks. The API allows social network notifications, like status updates, to be delivered within the browser's UI. By default, Firefox will display this type of content in a side panel.

Mac users will also notice Lion's scroll snap (aka. elastic scroll, scroll bounce) behavior has finally slipped its way into Firefox as well as Lion's newer scroll bar design.

7 people like this | treeski treeski said:

The logo change is so subtle, why bother?

2 people like this | Guest said:

"which will speed up H.264 encoding in Windows Vista/7/8"

Surely you mean DEcoding, otherwise we are getting a browser that can encode video, now that's a novelty feature.

cuerdc said:

Took me a moment to even notice. As for the rest might try it but probably will just stick with chrome but when knows I could go back.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I honestly never even noticed the fox until now

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I honestly never even noticed the fox until now

lol - Please forgive me for laughing.

Your point only proves, it doesn't really matter how refined they make the icon.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I hope somebody writes an extension to prevent Firefox from doing this.

Call it, "Hermit Fox"! Or maybe, "Get out of my Face Fox"! Wait, I've got it, "Do you really need to put your Nose there Fox?"

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I like the extension name "Hermit Fox" myself.

JC713 JC713 said:

It took me a while to see the differences. But seriously, why bother with these changes @treeski said. At least make the logo flat... if anything.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

This really needs some type of explanation. One of the many things that gamers like to run on about is 3D rendering.

Why on earth would you like to make the FF logo flat?

As a prime example against this would be, what do you get when you take all the depth and perspective out of the Windows GUI?

Well? You get .........(wait for it).........."Metro"!

(Oh glorious & joyous day, the rapture that is Metro, I am complete, Metro completes me, Steve Ballmer completes me).

(I could go on! But should I go on? Let me see a show of hands).

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Wow!! What an eye catching logo. It looks... well... identical to the previous ones. Now that's what I'd call a major change.

Maximum Payne Maximum Payne said:

Actually image doesn't do the justice , if you install FF 23 you will see very different icon.

JC713 JC713 said:

Why on earth would you like to make the FF logo flat?

Well? You get .........(wait for it).........."Metro"!

(I could go on! But should I go on? Let me see a show of hands).

I personally like that flat stuff xD. 3D is also awesome, but I like the flat look for icons though.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Flatness inhibits productivity, fact. Giving depth, transculency, 3D-ness, only helps to increase our productivity. It's the only thing we can do, until we get actual 3D capable workstations - think virtual reality.

Dustyn Dustyn said:

If I gotta look that hard... why is this news?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

If I gotta look that hard... why is this news?
It's news because you weren't paying attention in the first place.

avoidz avoidz said:

Would not have noticed any difference.

Dustyn Dustyn said:

It's news because you weren't paying attention in the first place.

Nothing to pay attention to... really.