Windows 8 bests Vista as third-most used OS, gains 5.1% of market

By on July 1, 2013, 4:00 PM

According to website traffic data collected by Net Applications, Windows 8 has hit a definite if seemingly unimpressive milestone. Windows 8 has finally managed to surpass its ill-liked ancestor, Windows Vista, in becoming the world's third-most used operating system.

Net Applications' data shows a significant uptake in Windows 8 systems since May, increasing from 4.27-percent to its current 5.1-percent figure.

Of course, running on just 5.1-percent of the world's computers, Windows 8 remains a truly distant third though. Currently, Windows 7 resides on 44.7-percent of systems while XP proudly occupies a still whopping 32.17-percent. Behind Windows 8 lie the three most-recent flavors of Mac OS X, which together total just 6.63-percent of the market. Meanwhile, "Other" operating systems account for only 2.11-percent of computers, globally.

Naturally, those numbers still show Windows overall is tops when it comes to total computer market share. With their figures combined, Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 are present on more than 90-percent of the world's computers; undoubtedly, "Microsoft" and "Windows" will remain household names for some time to come.

Despite Windows' immense poularity on desktops and laptops, the OS becomes less prolific when tablets and smartphones are taken into consideration. On mobile devices, there's little question Android and iOS reign supreme. In fact, Ubuntu's parent company, Canonical, recently marked its tongue-in-cheek "Bug #1" ticket as resolved (i.e. "Microsoft has a majority market share") thanks to recent estimates which took into account mobile devices and mobile operating systems.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow XP is still going strong

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Yes Windows XP Pro is still use by corporate companies because it's easy to adopt to their in-house software code used. Windows 7 had issues. Currently one large insurance company here is upgrading now from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7 Pro. They will not upgrade to Windows 8.

That chart shows you were the two OS are at. Windows 2000 Pro was popular also back then.

Mac OSX the third with 6.63, Windows 8 only 4th.

1 person liked this | amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

As a tech for a large Hospital, we avoided Vista the best we could and are skipping Windows 8 entirely. As in, not a damn workstation in any department for any reason, will have it.

TheBigFatClown said:

Wow, that graphic says it all. Windows XP and Windows 7 look like a big pac-man ready to gobble up Windows 8. LoL. Along with the other small players in the game.

I gotta give credit where credit is due. The Windows 8 fanbois had me thinking that Windows 8 was neck-and-neck with the installed base of Windows 7 users. It's amazing how a small group of people can shape the perceptions of others.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I truly hope microsoft reads these articles and statistics, if listening to customers isn't for them, not selling much of your latest product will surely make you think twice next time you release a product plenty of people have said is flawed.

On another note, will Microsoft do another big windows release? I read somewhere windows will now only be updated in a major way once a year as it "evolves", I personally want a proper next windows to go to after 7, you know, one that can play DVD's out the box and doesn't have a menu system that takes up the entire screen.

JC713 JC713 said:

Lol, finally.

RH00D RH00D said:

Was anybody actually expecting Windows 8 to overtake 7 when 7 has been on the market for 4 years and Windows 8 only 8 months?

What? Really?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Out of curiosity, how far did Vista climb before starting to fall again? I wonder if Windows 8 will ever climb as high.

JC713 JC713 said:

Some people just used Vista since it was the newest OS on the market and some games began to support DX10 before Win 7. People were forced to use it xD.

RHOOD: Of course not with Windows 8 being the catastrophe that it is. I thought Vista was officially killed off by Windows 7, but I guess it's not surprising it holds a similar user base as Windows 8.

SirGCal SirGCal said:

Only because buying a new windows anything with 7 is almost impossible without reinstalling it with your own license or buying another OEM (while you can). The Manufacturer's are all using 8 which is why I haven't been buying a new laptop lately. Actually I think it also could be hurting hardware sales to at least some extent.

SirGCal SirGCal said:

Ohh, but the one thing I forgot to add; still nothing to be proud of... if it ever actually gets the administration issues fixed and then fixes the end-user items properly (metro/etc.) and can surpass windows 7, that would be something. But I suspect people will be waiting for at least Windows 9... At least most of us know, at least lately, it's been an every-other-release type OS.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

What? Really?

Windows 7 took the market by storm and was controlling much more market share in the same time span.

Nobody was expecting 8 to overtake anything, I even had my doubts about it overtaking Vista, This just proves that people really don't like Windows 8 as much as Microsoft thinks we do, They could still turn this around and bring out a "Desktop & Desktop Pro" editions which don't have metro in them, or even just give an option to revert to an older desktop theme.

TheBigFatClown said:

I've sat on the sidelines as a passive spectator watching this "Windows 8" freak show go on for several months now. So now, maybe, just maybe Microsoft has finally begun listening just a little bit...so what do they think people are gonna do...run out and buy it because they put back in a start menu? LMFAO. The beauty of it all is that I've had my Start Menu and Start button on my desktop for the past 8 months because I choose not h to install Windows 8 on the day of release. Life is good without Windows 8.

I am waiting on Windows 9 but only in the sense of seeing what it ultimately turns out to be given the disaster that Windows 8 has become. Still very comfortable with Windows 7.

Windows 8 has such negative stigma attached to it I would kinda be ashamed to install it at this point. So yeah, I am holding off any upgrade to my Windows operating system until at least the next name change.

It's too bad users get stuck in the past with their old ways. They can't think for themselves so they have the media tell them what to do, they are unable to go and search for themselves in what ways a new OS is better. Windows 8 is a great OS and Windows 8.1 will be even better.

Of course it will surpass Vista. It was only a matter of time. Microsoft's vision of one OS, 3 screens + Cloud vision will come to fruition and people will still harp on the fact that XP is fine. The same gripes can be heard from 95 to XP to 7 to 8 etc. We're asking too much of people to change.

What about Android OS???

ypsylon said:

That is truly significant news. What it really says is that: XP is still 7 times better than W8. And there is no hope in hell for W8 overtaking XP and then W7.

Ha ha

What about Android OS???

others section included android and further linux variantes

MrBungle said:

Vista peaked out at 19ish %... that is the real bar. Surpassing 6 year old retried operating system that many people disliked to begin with is no major feat especially when you consider that people began migrating from Vista 4 years ago. Windows 8 is still far and away the most hated operating system in Microsoft history.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

What? Really?

7 had a hellava bigger install base than 8 did for the same 8 month period.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I used Vista from it's inception and to be perfectly honest, I never had problems with it. I also use 8 which I don't mind but 7 is by far my favourite.

sapo joe said:

This means that crap has finally beaten shit!!! COOL!

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Windows 8 mostly gains it's share because most laptops or manufacturer configured pc's, are shipped with them. It's a move that actually explains, why computer sales have dropped or aren't increasing. Also worth noting, most new laptops for instance running on win8, can't be or are difficult to revert back to win7(no drivers on the manufacturer's website for example) which is a shame though

TheBigFatClown said:

Words so true. I wonder what kind of market share Windows 8 would actually have right now if it wasn't the "default" operating system on new PCs and laptops. I wonder how much smaller the total market share of Windows 8 would be right now if you could walk into a Best Buy and purchase a computer with Windows 7 already installed without requesting a downgrade.

Windows 8 consists of people who bought new computers and were either unable to "downgrade" to Windows 7 and the people who use anything as long as it is the latest and "greatest". Although I'm sure there are a few people with touch screens that actually enjoy Windows 8. However Windows 7 with a few modifications is still more productive for touch screens.

"However Windows 7 with a few modifications is still more productive for touch screens."

Hmm, no.

As an old fart, I must say people said same things when upgrading from DOS to Windows 3.11 ...

DAOWAce DAOWAce said:

I still use Vista because Microsoft made completely unnecessary UI changes to 7 despite the differences between Vista and 7 being incredibly small. 7, without the UI re-design and native unlinking of core Windows applications (IE, Search, etc. All could be done regardless by using something like vLite), 7 was just Vista SP3, or more accurately Vista SE.

Real damn shame Microsoft wanted to get away from the Vista name and shafted everyone still using the OS. Sad thing is it worked, and Vista is STILL to this day ignorantly shunned by end users who don't understand reality. The kick in the teeth is Windows 8.1, akin to Windows 98SE. Microsoft, years later, now decides to stick to Windows 8 and improve it instead of abandon it for a new name like they did Vista.

I know I'll probably be forced onto 7 someday (minor media changes result in Vista being incompatible with certain applications, or features of them), but until I see a full blown UI customization application, I will be staying on Vista for the foreseeable future.

If you want picture references for some of my issues, see this comparison album: http://imgur.com/a/DXZ0G

Ozzye said:

So much truth to people resisting change, tablets and cell phones will eventually open this door. Windows 8 is struggling in the transition how to go away from input devices entirely so we can call this a learning curve but they will get there, obvious value in what they are doing. Take a look at industrial devices there is always so many layers of tools you need to interact. Less confusion creates more thought of possibilities.

There... my best 5 minutes, I give up!

Ozzye said:

There... my best 5 minutes, I give up!

Quote: "If you always do what you always did. You will always get what you always got."

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm all for change but not when change is revolting. Would you consider driving one of these for a couple of years till the next model comes out?

What pisses me off is MS's attempt to make people change every two years. They have the world paying them $100+ bucks, every time they buy a new machine. But yet thats not enough, MS can't live within their means. Which suggest they have grown too big or individually consume too much. This is not like the Auto industry, where you are not dependent on what everyone else drives.