Oculus Rift targets $300 price point at launch, could be free one day

By on July 16, 2013, 3:30 PM

There’s been plenty of chatter about Oculus Rift and the promise of truly immersive gameplay. But for all the praise we see in the media, few have actually tried one of the development units, while most people make do with the reactions of amazement from those using it in YouTube videos. There’s nothing set in stone yet for a commercial release, though for the first time, the company has mentioned a target price: $300.

Depending on how you see it, that makes it either a rather expensive peripheral, or reasonably priced for a device that hopes to influence how we play games in a more meaningful way than next-gen consoles.

Oculus CEO Brandon Iribe obviously leans towards the latter. In an interview with Edge Online he talks about getting the device to market and acknowledges that “the lower the price point, the wider the audience.” Initially it’ll be hard getting it lower than that, but Iribe hints at the possibility of subsidies through partnerships later on.

“You can imagine if Microsoft and Sony can go out and subsidize consoles because there's enough money to be made on software and other areas, then there's the potential that this, in partnership, could get subsidized.” Although he didn’t delve into specifics, and it doesn’t sound like there’s anything specific being planned, Iribe says they could earn recurring revenue from a VR game and ask a lower upfront price for the headset.

The executive imagines being able to give out the Oculus Rift for free at some point so it’s used by as many people as possible. “We're not there yet, but we're sitting there thinking all the time, how can we make this free?” Hopefully they’ll be able to crack that one eventually, but for now we’ll just keep our fingers crossed for enough developer support to make it a worthwhile investment, and a release date in the not-too-distant future.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Is that a diopter adjustment I see on the side?

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Is that a diopter adjustment I see on the side?
Whether it is or not I can't say. It would make sense if it was.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

In for two on day one!

1 person liked this | cmbjive said:

I imagine myself being the old fart in a retirement home demanding to know where my danged controller is.

2 people like this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

Will prolonged wearing make my face look like Spongebob?

1 person liked this | LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Can't be any worse than the Virtual Boy and I still have that

pmkrefeld said:

As long as u will get half HD resolution on a simulated 200" screen its useless even when sold at 20$

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If it works out pretty well, I might find myself buying one for Star Citizen.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You shouldn't be so critical.

I remember playing games at 640x480 and then moving to 800x600. The tech is new, give it time to pay for itself as well as future upgrades. I'd be happy playing at 1,280 x 800 resolution (640 x 800 per eye), as long as the closeup items didn't look like Minecraft.

1 person liked this | Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Can't be any worse than the Virtual Boy and I still have that

Oh the nostalgia!!! it's... painful...

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Regarding the resolution, they're not using it linearly. There are more pixels for the centre. From everything I've read it's a very effective solution. I've yet to read a comment from someone who used the Rift which said anything bad about it.

Not to mention that they did show a 1080p prototype at E3, up from 1280x800 for the development prototype. That may be what they'll end up selling for $300.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Will prolonged wearing make my face look like Spongebob?

Why Spongebob? Wouldn't you rather look like Sam Fisher?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Why Spongebob? Wouldn't you rather look like Sam Fisher?

I meant, it looks so square on the face, so one day you remove it and your face looks the same way Also, I know the guy in person (see my avatar)

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

It looks retarded.

DanUK DanUK said:

I think this is really exciting technology! Certainly looks very impressive from the videos I've seen so far. One of my mates works for google and he said one of his colleagues had one in the office the other day, I'll have to find out if it was any good or not.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

well, tell us what he says

DAOWAce DAOWAce said:

Why has it not been named to the Oculus Reisse?

2 people like this | DanUK DanUK said:

well, tell us what he says

Saw him last night! He said it was odd at first to get used to then totally incredible. He said it was so immersive that at one point he forgot where he was and tried to stand up and walk somewhere, almost pulled the laptop off the desk! And then there was a bit of a readjustment period after removing them to get back to reality hah. I realllllly want to try one now!

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Sounds like it will create a new generation of zombies

DanUK DanUK said:

Sounds like it will create a new generation of zombies

And create so many new possibilities for people who like to play pranks on their friends..

MrAnderson said:

There are technologies currently at work that when combined should offer a really interesting experience. It is predicted that when Oculus Rift releases the resolution will be bumped up. Then there is the Omni that is the in place treadmill that will keep you from dragging your laptop off the table. And of course a Kinect or Kinect like device to capture more of your motions. :P In essence, to have a complete VR experience you will need to shell out about a grand... that is not to bad since it is all new and the price will come down. It used to be 25 grand and more... I'm excited. About new game experiences, new UI and human interfaces with the Computer and accessing data. Awesomeness awaits!

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

It's not just predicted - it's pretty much confirmed by the devs in this video -