Free Xbox Live Gold now bundled with annual Office 365 subscription

By on July 18, 2013, 11:30 AM
microsoft, office, xbox live, office 365, cloud computing, subscription, xbox one, free xbox live gold membership, free xbox live gold

Update: Microsoft has now released an identical promotion for US residents, with terms and conditions linked to here. Original story follows...

Office 365 has been Microsoft’s attempt at cornering the cloud-based productivity suite industry, taking on opponents such as Google Apps. Despite the product's recent sales success (Office 365 Home Premium reached 1 million subscribers in under four months), the company is launching a new promotion to further bolster consumer excitement. Today, Microsoft announced that individuals who purchase annual subscriptions to Office 365 Home Premium or Office 365 University will be granted a free 12-month Xbox Live Gold membership. To take advantage of this deal, the product must be activated prior to the September 28 deadline.

Office 365 first came onto the scene in June of 2011, targeting small businesses with features such as collaborative document writing and slideshow construction, and connecting colleagues located at either ends of the globe. Microsoft also benefits from the cloud-based model since software updates can be executed with ease, and ongoing subscription fees provide the company with a continuous revenue stream.

Interestingly, US residents are not eligible for the offer. The 38 country list includes: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Korea, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.

According to The Next Web, the reasoning behind the promotion is rather straight-forward. Microsoft is targeting the younger generation, especially those who are headed off to university in the fall. Although the stereotype of adolescent gamers often holds true, in reality, video games are now enjoyed by a diverse consumer base. The upcoming release of the Xbox One, and its ability to act as a set-top box, also demonstrates the console’s newfound reputation as a “family-oriented” device.

Despite Microsoft’s efforts, chances are slim that the promotion will have any noticeable impact on sales. It does, however, demonstrate their confidence in the Xbox brand as well as the future of cloud-based services.

1 person liked this | treeski treeski said:

Now you really know the different divisions are finally working together! :P

I wonder why they left the US out of this deal. Something seems a bit off.

Since when does the United States get left out of promotions, especially in technology?

Whoah there Microsoft. This doesn't feel right.

JC713 JC713 said:

Wow, MS is desperate.

cmbjive said:

$59.99 annual Xbox Live membership

$99.99 annual or $9.99 per month (119.88 annual) Office Membership with one free year of Xbox Live

I'll keep my Office 2010 and pay my annual Xbox Live Membership

2 people like this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Open office.. $0 and not reliant on a sometimes flaky university/college LAN system hacked together for old buildings not designed for technology.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

If it works for you, cool. But Office exists and is the leader for a reason.

Damn. Bought an Office 365 subscription a month ago so I don't qualify :(.

On the bright side, they just reminded me that I should cancel my (AU$80) Xbox Live subscription that I haven't used in 3 years.

Heeellooo Steam sales!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I won't be taking advantage of this most generous offer. I'm not interested in Office 365, any XB or XB membership.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

Well I don't qualify since I live in the USA. I signed for Office 365 Home Premium earlier this month and it's not bad at all. I still have copies of Office 2010 and 2013 Professional and Professional Plus from my TechNet subscription (which will be retired next year) but I was curious about 365 so I decided to try it out.

This is an interesting move by Microsoft. It seems they're keen on getting as many people all over the world to sign up for Office 365 Home Premium to retain their position as the purveyor of the most used office suite but I think it goes a bit deeper. More on this later.

cmbjive said:

This deal is available in the States:

[link]

This Offer is available in the following country. The Office 365 product must be purchased and activated in the United States in order to be eligible for the Xbox Live Gold Offer.

Country

United States

Go to this link if you want it: www.office.com/xbox.

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

This deal is available in the States:

[link]

Country

United States

Go to this link if you want it: www.office.com/xbox.

Thanks for the info! Now the question: is Xbox Live Gold worth it?

ddg4005 ddg4005 said:

This offer is only valid if sign up for Office 365 Home Premium as of yesterday (I signed up on the 4th). Ah well, easy come easy go.