Sony and Panasonic team up for 300 GB optical discs

By on July 29, 2013, 1:00 PM
sony, panasonic, blu-ray, 300gb, optical disc, disc

Sony and Panasonic are teaming up to create the next step in data archival: optical discs with a storage capacity of at least 300 GB. The companies hope to achieve the milestone and have units available by the end of 2015. While the discs aren't so much important for media playback with the increasing push for streaming content, Sony and Panasonic are targeting professionals who need long-term, large capacity storage.

Each company holds a range of important technologies relating to optical disc development, which they will be pooling in the hopes of improving their development efficiency. Both also have extensive knowledge in optical disc developent, with Sony and then Panasonic becoming the first two companies to release Blu-ray players.

The new discs will be tough, like most disc-based storage currently available, being not only water- and dust-proof to an extent, but also able to resist changes in temperature and humidty when stored for long periods of time. Flash storage and hard disk drives don't have the same sort of long-term reliability you can expect from an optical disc, which is why developing a 300 GB disc still remains important for some industries.

Currently, the largest disc commercially available is a 100 GB BDXL disc, although the extra-large Blu-ray specification supports up to 128 GB discs. A 100 GB BDXL is essentially a three layer Blu-ray which is not backwards compatible with standard up to 50 GB Blu-ray players, but uses a similar data density. To achieve a 300 GB disc, Sony and Panasonic will have to either develop a new technology that increases the density of data stored on a disc, or come up with a new, reliable multi-layer Blu-ray-type format.

For What purpose? SONY, Stop!!! now.

JC713 JC713 said:

I can see commercial uses for this, especially with the 4K revolution. 4K movies take up a ton of space and in order to seel BluRay copies in 4K, they will need large capacities. This is a good move. I do not know what you are talking about guest.

1 person liked this | TheBigFatClown said:

For What purpose? SONY, Stop!!! now.

You must need reading glasses. They explained the purpose in the article. "While the discs aren't so much important for media playback with the increasing push for streaming content, Sony and Panasonic are targeting professionals who need long-term, large capacity storage."

They are targeting me also, whether they know it or not. While I enjoy being connected to the internet 24/7... in the event I should not have access to the internet I always enjoy having all my data backed up on optical discs. I would love to be able to take a snapshot of my system hard disk drive every month and back it up to a reliable long-term storage medium. But in this day and age a 50GB optical platter just doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

As you were Sony. Full steam ahead.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Same here!! Except I prefer not to use dual layer, the extra expense is to great for me. That leaves me with only 25GB for optical backups. A 300GB optical solution would certainly be welcome here, that is once the price of the drive and media fall to at least where 25GB BD is now.

penn919 said:

I don't see how this would be any more practical than backing up to an external HDD. Aren't they much more convenient as storage mediums anyways? I mean who wants to have to burn backups everyday/week when you can use a HDD in conjunction with backup software that can manage everything automatically? Optical backups are obsolete.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Optical backups are obsolete.
Optical backups are not obsolete. Who said anything about everyday backups? Use optical backups for data that is not periodically updated.

HDD's and Flash Media still have one major con. Whether you want to admit it or not, they can fail anytime without warning. Just so you know, I do use HDD as backup and also use optical media as a third backup solution.

misor misor said:

Optical backups are obsolete.

amen!.

backups should be in as many modes as possible.

cloud (if you trust this sytem)

solid state disks

hard disk drives (internal/external)

flash drives

cd/dvd/Blu-ray

tape ( )

even the 'Batman' used a steel drum to record his exploits against 'Mr. Freeze', acknowledging that 'current' recording technologies didn't have long-term retrieval survivability.

dcnc123 dcnc123 said:

Great answer from Mr. cliffordcooley... +1

Optical backups are obsolete.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

If this were to become commercially available then I could finally retire my old tape drive backup system

I back up all my data on punch cards, daily.