AMD Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 driver brings 25% boost to Saints Row IV, more

By on August 19, 2013, 6:30 PM

Following up on the Catalyst 13.8 beta driver released earlier this month, AMD has released a second revision with scattered tweaks, including new frame pacing support for World of Warcraft, Sniper Elite, Watch Dogs and Tomb Raider when playing on a Crossfire setup. Frame pacing was introduced with the previous beta build to help ensure frames are displayed smoothly. The feature should be enabled globally by default but you can configure it on a per-application basis in the Catalyst Control Center.

Today's update also improves performance in many titles, not least of which is a 25% boost when playing Saints Row IV on ultra at 1080p and a 9% gain in Splinter Cell: Blacklist when it's running on ultra at 2560x1600. AMD doesn't provide specific numbers, but Radeon owners can also expect better performance out RIPD on single GPUs, Minimum and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow on multiple GPUs and Final Fantasy XIV on both types of graphics configurations.

Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 (release notes): Desktop | Mobile | Linux

Additionally, AMD has solved corruption and image quality issues in Doom 3 BFG Edition, Far Cry 3 and Van Helsing, particularly when playing the latter two with anti-aliasing enabled in the CCC.

Naturally, there are always kinks to iron out and the company says it's aware of at least three more issues with the latest beta drivers: Crossfire used with Overdrive can result in secondary GPUs running at 99%, enabling Crossfire can cause the secondary GPU's PCIe bus speed to be reported as x1, and apparently BioShock Infinite's new DLC doesn't play nice with frame pacing, so you'll probably want to disable that for the time being.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Well that was fast, was not expecting another one yet. Now ill have to test this one out!

Arris Arris said:

They obviously want me to keep my 2 x 5850s and not change to a Nvidia setup. Will be testing this out this evening. With any luck they've refined the FP even further.

5 people like this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I tried this driver with my GTX 770, it doesn't work. X-D.

3 people like this |
Staff
Steve Steve said:

I tried this driver with my GTX 770, it's doesn't work. X-D.

must be broked

JC713 JC713 said:

Good to see that AMD is finally putting out decent driver. All we need now is modern installer and an easier way to clean install.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

Who said it was a decent driver? AMD?

1 person liked this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

Who said it was a decent driver? AMD?

Its a great driver dude, don't know what your problem is, something tells me you own an NVidia card (checked your profile yes you do).

Well now if you just install the latest driver, it just overwrites the previous one. Its been working that way for me.

JC713 JC713 said:

I get better game performance and stability if I clean install.

Who said it was a decent driver? AMD?

The drivers may not be as fancy and stable as nVidias, but they get the job done...

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Just got this installed on my daughter's computer - she's gonna need this for FFXIV ARR next week. Now I just need an upgrade for my other daughter's machine. X58 mobo is dead for her i7 930 upgrade and those mobos have now skyrocketed in price since they stopped production. I was really hoping Haswell was going to blow me away so I could hand down my current rig, but it wasn't enough for me to do it.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

must be broked

Yeah. It muttered something something about incompatible hardware but I think you're right.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I usually install over the older one although some people recommend the use of Driver Sweeper. I found it made no difference.

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Maybe my GTX 660 will be compatible. It is a generation older. lol

I usually install over the older driver to.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

Wait for IB-E or Haswell E.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

I used to do that. I think I should just do that again since the uninstaller doesnt work sometimes.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I went ahead and did what you did just to try it since I had been just overwriting the old ones. Haven't noticed any differences yet personall, but I have not really tested some extreme gaming yet.

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

You could also wait for Broadwell-E but why don't you rather wait for her to get married then it'll become her husbands problem, not to mention cheaper as well.

JC713 JC713 said:

I just saw better performance in BF3. Like 4-5 FPS better. Nothing major.

Fbarnett Fbarnett said:

Who said it was a decent driver? AMD?

for your information I have 2 5870's and a 6950 . I was not knocking it I just asked who said it was a good driver? I also don't look at another mans profile

1 person liked this | LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Haha - my daughters are 6 and 8... it's going to be a really long time before she gets married. This is already my 8 year old's third computer so I'm betting she'll be asking for an upgrade within the next year or two.

1 person liked this | JC713 JC713 said:

That is what profiles are for xD. It is a good driver if it does what it says.

2 people like this | GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

That is what profiles are for xD. It is a good driver if it does what it says.

Was about to say the same thing lol, like I make my profile specifically for others, not myself. What am I gonna do, stare at it when I can't remember who I am.

Second, yea it's an excellent driver, works flawlessly in my useable so far and has only been an improvement across the board.

Third, then comment in a different way, if you did not mean that in a bad way, why would you write it that way. It sounds sarcastic especially seeing this is beta 2 of 13.8 which has been out a month and the second part came today. When you write it like that, it reads like sarcasm in that sense. However since you did not say it that way intentionally, sorry for jumping the gun.

JC713 JC713 said:

I am still running on 13.1. I am waiting for a new release since I skipped 13.4. I have a feeling it will be 13.9 at this rate xD.

GhostRyder GhostRyder said:

I thought you said you were on the 13.8 beta? I don't even think I tried 13.1, I think I unintentionally skipped it somehow. Why not grab the new betas and blast away on those, I've been rocking them (btw I tried your idea and uninstalled then clean installed beta 2 13.8 to make sure)

JC713 JC713 said:

I rolled back to stable.

1 person liked this | Arris Arris said:

my daughters are 6 and 8...

Upgrade to a Wii U. I mean what games/applications are there that are suitable for 6-8 year olds that even require the power of their current computers?

1 person liked this | Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Bless their little souls. My grandaughter is five and she's already stated to me she'd like a tablet, an iPad no less

1 person liked this | LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

My 8 year old is a big fan of Mirror's Edge and many MMOs. She played Rift with me and plays a few other F2P MMOs on Steam. She played version 1.0 of FFXIV with me as well and is eager to play some ARR. She was heartbroken when she saw I made it into the beta and she didn't a while back. I'm trying to craft a mini-me here and I think it's going pretty well. She often complained about the low resolution and generally plain graphics of the Wii and preferred PS3 versions of games. My 6 year old doesn't care as much yet... but I think she's starting to come around.

I actually spent 20 minutes explaining the general idea behind the internet, IPv4 addresses, and DNS to my 8 year old and she listened to all of it. She wanted to know why I had multiple switches and why there were so many ethernet cables going into them and why I also needed a router as well as a cable modem. Got me really excited. She's also not terribly pleased that games look better on my machine than hers.