Apple's iPhone trade-in program officially goes live across the U.S.

By on August 30, 2013, 3:00 PM

Apple has now officially launched the iPhone trade-in program we previously reported on. Users can now trade-in older model iPhones to put towards a new one at Apple retail stores across the US.

The trade-in program, officially called "iPhone Reuse and Recycling Program” will be ran in conjunction with BrightStar Corp, who will be assisting in creating a trade-in value and handling the US based recycling program.

Apple will be accepting iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5, in exchange for credit towards a new iPhone purchase. It will determine the value of the device with BrightStar based on its overall condition, screen and button quality, as well as whether or not the device has undergone any kind of water damage. The original sources say the value of the credit will range from between $120 and $250, depending on the above factors.

Other stipulations include that customers will need to use the credit at the same time as the trade-in and that it must be used towards a new iPhone on a contract. You won't be able to use the credit towards anything else in the store.

As many have speculated, Apple has launched the program ahead of its new line of iPhones rumored to be officially revealed in just a few short weeks from now.

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Gosh, its quite odd they don't tell you how to get your personal info off it first.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

They don't have to, because they're entitled to it! Don't you know anything!:oops:

learninmypc learninmypc said:

Yes, I did know that. I know enough. God Bless & enjoy your Labor Day weekend

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I would actually be very interesting, if somebody in this forum that owns a iPhone, took it to an Apple Store, and tries to trade it in.

Then, we'd know if Apple's, "been naughty or nice". It does seem superfluous for Apple to advertise or offer tutorials on wiping a phone prior to the point of sale contact.

Ad copy space is limited. So, next time you watch a TV car ad, try and read ALL the terms of a lease in the crawl when it comes on.

And best of luck with that.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wonder if my Blackberry would qualify if I painted an "I" on the back? lol On second thought I probably wouldn't like what they give me in return.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Dude, if you walked in with a Blackberry, they likely wouldn't talk to you. So, I guess we'll never know.

The simple fact of the matter is, used electronics suffer horrible depreciation. (So does photographic equipment).

I almost expect you'd do better selling on you own. But then, are you even allowed to do that?

Wouldn't you have to unlock the phone? Isn't that illegal?

Trading in a phone, under any program is likely a fool's errand. So then, how should we phrase that? Wait, I know! "A fool an his used iPhone are soon parted company"...:eek:

And BTW, with all the advertising carriers are doing about how getting stuck with an old rickety cell phone is a fate worse than death, why would you expect to get more than peanuts for one trading it in?

Unless........(wait for it)......., they're going to slam a way bigger markup into the new one.

So, when you're kneeling in front of the most exalted Apple salesman, in anticipation of "being knighted with your new iPhone"..... Just abstract yourself from the situation, and think about baseball.