iPhone 6 to feature 4.8-inch display, analyst claims

By on October 7, 2013, 4:15 PM
apple, iphone, analyst, iphone 6, larger screen

Many expected Apple to release an iPhone with a larger screen but with this year’s refresh now in the history books, all sights have turned to the iPhone 6. At least one analyst now believes we will see a larger display grace next year’s model.

Peter Misek from Jefferies & Co. said earlier today in a research note that the iPhone 6 will launch with a 4.8-inch display. According to their estimates, about 50 percent of smartphone shipments now have screens larger than four inches and the next iPhone will catalyze a large upgrade cycle.

Of course, those that catch wind of the research note might consider holding out on upgrading to the iPhone 5S but if early sales are any indication, that’s not a huge problem at the moment. Apple said they sold upwards of nine million iPhones during opening weekend last month.

This certainly isn’t the first time we have heard analyst calling for a larger screen iPhone but given the landscape, timing and source, it seems extremely plausible this time around. As early as last month, Apple was rumored to be testing screens up to six inches. While it’s unlikely we will see an iPhone come down the pipeline in that size, something closer to the 5-inch mark wouldn’t be a huge shock.

Large-screen devices are all the rage among Android users so there’s little reason to believe a bigger iPhone wouldn’t do equally as well among Apple fans.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

LOL, Day late and a dollar short there Apple.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

It's amazing how much it looks like a Samsung!

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

It's amazing how much it looks like a Samsung!

Amazing! this user generated, mock up render of an iphone 6 that in no way will look like the actual iphone 6 DOES look like a samsung! its rounded-rectangular prism shape with a rectangular screen just screams samsung!

:P

Holy cow, such innovation! Surely Steve Jobs would have loved this. Here's to the new Apple commercials leading the herds of sheep to a 4.8 inch screen now being the best sized phone for your limbs to hold.

Jim$ter said:

I think they should offer the current size and the larger size. Choice is where its at. I love the size of my iPhone 5 but I would like to try a larger one just to see what I prefer. I think making the current iPhone even lighter while improving battery life would be awesome too.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

*yawn*

Looks like an iPhone 5S with a smaller bezel to me. Doesn't matter what the next iPhone will look like. The UI will be the same as well as the home screen, just like all the others before it. Curved displays will annihilate anything Apple plans to do with the next iPhone.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

ROFL!! Now they come out with 4.8 inch display? And ohhh.....look it seems familiar....hmm

Hey Steve Jobs .....SJ: what is it......... me: I came from the future and look what they made.....

SJ: Oh God no.... they did NOT!!

Me: yep They innovatively coough..pied the samsung S4

iSheep and SamSheep unite. You will now both have stupid looking larger than your head smartphones to bury your faces in.

CooliCoolFans CooliCoolFans said:

It's amazing how much it looks like a Samsung!

I can not agree more, Jobs is gone.

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

It's funny, a couple of years ago it looked like Android was trying as hard as possible to be like the iPhone. Now days, it looks the opposite :p

I could hear Jony Ive now, "Beautifully, Unapologetically Bigger Screen"...!

JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

LOL, Day late and a dollar short there Apple.

So true. I wonder if Samsung will sue them because it surely looks like a Galaxy.

Old Nokia that is financially so far behind Apple, managed to make all sort of phones and fill the market with many choices, yet Apple only manages a small little screen. They basically only have 3 phones on the market and none of them have big screens. By the way I am not a WP user.

It still won't have Total Commander and an option for decent keyboards, so sorry, it won't be for me.

JohnnyStone JohnnyStone said:

Do you really think Apple will give you choices? Apple and options are antonyms. This is how Apple functions:

"You are my customer. You must take this phone and only this phone. You 'will' like it. Remember, we know what you want. Do not get confused with choices, especially not with other companies' standards like micro USB. We alone know what is good for you. When the day comes that we think you need a bigger phone, then we 'will' convince you to buy it. Do not worry!

You do not need a better keyboard to type with. Those other options, like showing lower case when you are in lowercase, are unnecessary for you. Remember, we know better. Our rule is that if you have our products, you are cool. That is all that matters. And do not worry, we will take good care of your money, you do not know how to spend it anyway. If we have more money, it will be best for you. We are not thinking about ourselves, just you, our loyal servant."

I see dissension in the ranks!!! Some iPone users want choices. Red alert at Apple!!!!

waterproof said:

That concept is a blatant rip off of HTC One.

2 people like this | ikesmasher said:

I cant stop laughing. You all keep calling it blatent rip offs of Samsung's galaxy phones or the HTC one or something along those lines- ITS A ROUNDED RECTANGULAR BOX. WITH A RECTANGULAR SCREEN ON IT. SPEAKER AND CAMERA ON TOP, SOME SORT OF BUTTON(S) ON BOTTOM.

The vast majority of smartphones look like this....

MilwaukeeMike said:

The vast majority of smartphones look like this....

And to point out what you said in your first post... it's not even a real picture!

I guess if anything it points out how conditioned we are to call a smartphone a rip off if it's just generally similar. Imagine if we did that with TVs and cars.

mailpup mailpup said:

Ikesmasher, ease up on the shouting.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I take it with a pinch of salt. I couldn't care less about the next iPhone.

I don't care that you don't care. What is your point.

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

I don't care that you don't care. What is your point.

Who cares what you care. Don't you use exclamation marks in your posts? If you don't see my point then it's obvious that you should be under supervision. Stop trolling and posting inane posts! Try doing something constructive for a change.

"Try doing something constructive for a change."

I am. I am giving you advice. Going into articles to express your disinterest is a total waste of time. Don't do it anymore.

NeurotechHD NeurotechHD said:

"Try doing something constructive for a change."

If he's disinterested that's still his opinion. How has his opinion hurt you? Relax.