Weekend Open Forum: What's the oldest gadget you still use regularly?

By on November 15, 2013, 6:00 PM
wof, gadgets, weekend open forum

As technology enthusiasts we’re constantly tempted to stay on top of latest and greatest innovations. Whether that’s a next generation smartphone, a high-end gaming rig, a big screen TV or anything else that tickles your fancy. At the pace the industry moves it’s not easy to keep up, however, and of course sometimes we just come to the realization that we don’t absolutely need to upgrade with every release cycle. After all, if you can’t justify the investment, at least there’s satisfaction in knowing your trusty old gadget still serves its duty.

Today we want to know: what’s the oldest piece of technology you own and still use regularly?

Image via Shutterstock

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Shoes.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hammer

Belkin Nostromo N50 Controller - Bought around 2002 and still in use now

My 5 year old cell phone

MilwaukeeMike said:

Garage door opener.

Remote control

(if it doesn't use batteries, is is a gadget ?)

1 person liked this | MrAnderson said:

I just got rid of my Linksys router from 2002/3... it was on its last legs.

So next I guess it would be my Motorola Xoom Tablet. I want something new, but it still works and looks like new!

Besides buy back prices are laughable considering what I'm still able to do with it, and what they sell it off for once they have taken you to the cleaners..

It's a tie between some old Logitech products all from early 2000's. The MX1000 laser mouse, original Di Novo keyboard set, and the Z-680 Surround sound. They've all really stood the test of time and are still going.

The mouse amazingly still holds a decent charge. Even while designing circuit boards, a mouse intensive job, the MX1000 can still go 3-4 days till the light even turns red.

The keyboard still feels great and has a modern design that will never go out of style. I would say one of the best membrane keyboards of all time.

The surround sound is another good ol' standby. Not the best sounding, but quite good if you consider I paid ~300 bucks for it and I've used everyday for the last ~10 years.

The longevity of these devices is a testament to good engineering.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

(if it doesn't use batteries, is is a gadget ?)
Then the question was reworded to the following.

"Today we want to know: what's the oldest piece of technology you own and still use regularly?"

Besides the definition of gadget never mentioned requiring batteries and the use of the word(its origin) is dated back to 1850.

Anyone who owns a car possesses a wheel, which is among the oldest of our technological background.

Still using my old reliable Nokia X2-01 (have a new one for backup)

1 person liked this | Trechie said:

I'm still using a Palm Tungsten T5. People with smartphones look at me like I'm a dinosaur.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

My trusty Zippo. 34 years and counting for the tried and true flint and striker technology.

Got a couple of old PS/2 mechanical keyboards lying around for repairs/reinstalls on old systems that don't like USB, but they are occasional use only.

mailpup mailpup said:

I'll have to think a bit for my actual oldest gadget but since dbz mentioned PS/2 keyboards, I'm still using my first PS/2 keyboard to type this. It's a beige Dell Quietkey that came with my first PC, a Windows 98 machine.

My 1916 Hamilton railroad pocket watch. Still keeps great time!

1 person liked this | wastedkill said:

My first android phone the G1 lol and also my iPod classic even tho it is out of date by a ton it is still the best ipod / music playing device invented! A whole 160gb of storage which is enough for me until I get past 500gb of music xD

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You should have changed the name for this topic to, "weekend festival of semantics".

Besides, isn't the term, "gadget", archaic? I thought everything was a "device" these days.

But, I'll take the bait anyway. How about my opposable thumbs, they're pretty nifty "gadgets".

Hammer
Yes, man's first real tool, that doubles as a weapon.

Just remember the first rule of using a hammer in the field.; "never try to force anything with it, get a bigger hammer".

johnehoffman said:

My HP12C financial calculator, which I bought around 1990 as a replacement after my first one was stolen.

The HP12C was introduced in 1981, and HP is STILL selling them today, more than 30 years later. I do not know of any other electronic device that has been around nearly that long. It is a testament to great design and quality manufacture.

Mine is so old that is was made where little is made today--in the USA.

1 person liked this | PaulH said:

My 9800GTX.

1 person liked this | dikbozo said:

Still ticking. Trident TGUI9440 1MB PCI video card, note please Peripheral Component Interconnect no Express. I use this when a fricking mobo comes in that won't boot to POST. It has served me well since 1997.

2 people like this | hitech0101 said:

Toy car. Still waiting to own a real one.

1 person liked this |
Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

IBM Thinkpad T40, 10 years old but still going strong

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

SONY DVD Player w/DIVX and 27" SONY Trinitron TV.

bugejakurt said:

Nothing... I don't like old gadgets

2 people like this | Guest said:

Yes, I still use an old commodore 64 and 128D.. although slightly modified to both have hard drives and ethernet connections, ram expansion and processor upgrades to give them a small speed boost.. addons from an old company called CMD..

just still love fiddling with these old machines to remind me how far we've evolved...

veLa veLa said:

My Galaxy S4

Pioy said:

"ICan'tSayHowOld" Logitech gamepad and "MaybeEvenOlder" Kingston 2GB Pendrive, used in car audio USB slot.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

SONY DVD Player w/DIVX and 27" SONY Trinitron TV.
Well, I have a Sony 50 CD carousel changer, (CDP-Cx55) and a GE CRT 26" TV both pushing 17 YO.

I also have a working Sony STR-V55 stereo receiver that's pushing 35. Don't know if that's working ATM. It did when I put it on a high shelf. I guess that doesn't count for the sake of this thread. These had a switching PSU and a crystal digital synthesizer tuner. (Very new tech at that time for consumer audio). As fate would have it, not really collectable in terms of dollar value.Ah, who cares, it looks great on the shelf next to 8mm & 16mm film projectors.

Railman said:

At the moment my oldest gadget still in regular use is a Philips DVD player. Not sure if it will be in use much longer as it has been playing up recently. Nearly forgot a battery FM radio which must be around 20 years old. That is used everyday.

1 person liked this | Railman said:

I am still using an old IBM ps/2 keyboard. No idea how old as it was second hand when I got it.

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

My Logitech Z-5300's are still kicking after almost 10 years.

von kain von kain said:

V.92 modem as fax machine

gcarter gcarter said:

Only x2 old bits of tech kit which are used on a daily basis in our house

XBOX1 (Modded to stream media and play emulated old skool games)

Original Microsoft MCE Remote (very rare and difficult to buy these any more)

We use this to control pc running xbmc

Phillip Seni said:

lol, I still have a 'working' keyboard with connector pre-dating ps/2 (looks like ps/2 but larger). working in the sense that it was once connected to a fully functional windows 98se computer working till last year. the computer was then disassembled and the 'spare parts' stored for future use.

spare parts = 2.1gb fujitsu hard disk drive, 2 x 16mb edo (?) ram, red fox motherboard

spare accessories = microphone (1998), speaker (1998), all working, but not in primary use for obvious reasons.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Nothing sexy - most of my stuff is pretty current. I'd have to say an old Panasonic portable boom box. Probably 15 years old.

Acespaces Acespaces said:

My oldest gadget is a space heater. It's been doing me well, and hasn't burned the house down yet.

dikbozo said:

SONY DVD Player w/DIVX and 27" SONY Trinitron TV.

16mm film? By any chance one of these?

I used one at U back in the mid to late 70's. They were the best at not destroying old fragile films, especially the ones for film classes. Hard to thread but once mastered you became in demand. This one device really began my education in film.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I just retired my 1990 S10. Still runs just fine but my wife was complaining about silly things like not having ABS or 4wd. So I found her a 2001 Blazer - finally own a vehicle made in this century!

Other than that I have a Linksys WRT54G v3.1 router from 2005 that is still running strong. I put DD-WRT on it many years back. Also have an Acer laptop from 2005 I have xubuntu on that I use to listen to music when working in my garage.

Dawn1113 said:

My car has seen better days. Runs fine, though, so I don't intend to go shopping for a new vehicle any time soon. I've been using that car for so long that I regard it as a friend.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Fender Fuzz Wah from the 60s. (Yup, the kind Hendrix used.)
I had to look that up just to see what you were talking about. lol

1 person liked this | EClyde EClyde said:

The machete I purchased in 1965. Good for all manner of outdoor work...from digging to chopping, then there is the inevitable Zombie attack I am prepared for

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The machete I purchased in 1965.
I wish I had one from 1965. The crap they commonly make now is not worth having. Two or three swings and the blade needs straightening or sharpened again. A six inch diameter tree is nothing to take down with a good machete. If you have to worry about the blade staying straight and sharp, it's not worth having. And that is just about all they want to sell now, is blades not worth having.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

...[ ]....But I think the oldest piece of equipment I own is a Fender Fuzz Wah from the 60s. (Yup, the kind Hendrix used.) It's big, bulky, and the chrome finish is terribly corroded. I have never learned to use it properly. My feet are just too small. It takes quite a bit of effort to rock the pedal.

Since it's terribly impolite to ask a lady her age, I'm going to go with, "did you buy that nasty a** noisemaker new...?

So, now I can hear all of you thinking, "when did cranky ever worry about politesse"........???:oops:

The correct answer is this, ever since Mick Jagger discovered he was the devil, and told me I should...., "Use all you're well learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste"...(sayeth Mick). Ah, we grab life's lessons where we stumble upon them.

mgwerner mgwerner said:

A 1957 Curta Type I Mechanical Calculator, which I use mostly to balance my checkbook. I also have a 1966 Type II that I use for the same function. Kind of overkill, but cool tech all the same.

Cycloid Torus Cycloid Torus said:

1974 Radio Shack Multimeter; 1968 panasonic desktop calculator; 1978 sears wall outlet tester

tonylukac said:

25 year old emerson color tv in the kitchen. It has a digital to analog converter and an antenna. Ironically, there was a 20 year old emerson microwave oven that just arced out about a year ago. We haven't even lived here 20 years, so they survived the move.