Weekend Open Forum: What's the oldest gadget you still use regularly?

Jos

Staff

As technology enthusiasts we’re constantly tempted to stay on top of latest and greatest innovations. Whether that’s a next generation smartphone, a high-end gaming rig, a big screen TV or anything else that tickles your fancy. At the pace the industry moves it’s not easy to keep up, however, and of course sometimes we just come to the realization that we don’t absolutely need to upgrade with every release cycle. After all, if you can’t justify the investment, at least there’s satisfaction in knowing your trusty old gadget still serves its duty.

Today we want to know: what’s the oldest piece of technology you own and still use regularly?

Image via Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Belkin Nostromo N50 Controller - Bought around 2002 and still in use now

I just got rid of my Linksys router from 2002/3... it was on its last legs.

So next I guess it would be my Motorola Xoom Tablet. I want something new, but it still works and looks like new!

Besides buy back prices are laughable considering what I'm still able to do with it, and what they sell it off for once they have taken you to the cleaners..

Last edited:
It's a tie between some old Logitech products all from early 2000's. The MX1000 laser mouse, original Di Novo keyboard set, and the Z-680 Surround sound. They've all really stood the test of time and are still going.
The mouse amazingly still holds a decent charge. Even while designing circuit boards, a mouse intensive job, the MX1000 can still go 3-4 days till the light even turns red.

The keyboard still feels great and has a modern design that will never go out of style. I would say one of the best membrane keyboards of all time.

The surround sound is another good ol' standby. Not the best sounding, but quite good if you consider I paid ~300 bucks for it and I've used everyday for the last ~10 years.

The longevity of these devices is a testament to good engineering.

(if it doesn't use batteries, is is a gadget ?)
Then the question was reworded to the following.
"Today we want to know: what’s the oldest piece of technology you own and still use regularly?"

Besides the definition of gadget never mentioned requiring batteries and the use of the word(its origin) is dated back to 1850.

Anyone who owns a car possesses a wheel, which is among the oldest of our technological background.

My trusty Zippo. 34 years and counting for the tried and true flint and striker technology.

Got a couple of old PS/2 mechanical keyboards lying around for repairs/reinstalls on old systems that don't like USB, but they are occasional use only.

I'll have to think a bit for my actual oldest gadget but since dbz mentioned PS/2 keyboards, I'm still using my first PS/2 keyboard to type this. It's a beige Dell Quietkey that came with my first PC, a Windows 98 machine.

My first android phone the G1 lol and also my iPod classic even tho it is out of date by a ton it is still the best ipod / music playing device invented! A whole 160gb of storage which is enough for me until I get past 500gb of music xD

You should have changed the name for this topic to, "weekend festival of semantics".

Besides, isn't the term, "gadget", archaic? I thought everything was a "device" these days.

But, I'll take the bait anyway. How about my opposable thumbs, they're pretty nifty "gadgets".
Yes, man's first real tool, that doubles as a weapon.

Just remember the first rule of using a hammer in the field.; "never try to force anything with it, get a bigger hammer".

My HP12C financial calculator, which I bought around 1990 as a replacement after my first one was stolen.

The HP12C was introduced in 1981, and HP is STILL selling them today, more than 30 years later. I do not know of any other electronic device that has been around nearly that long. It is a testament to great design and quality manufacture.

Mine is so old that is was made where little is made today--in the USA.

Still ticking. Trident TGUI9440 1MB PCI video card, note please Peripheral Component Interconnect no Express. I use this when a fricking mobo comes in that won't boot to POST. It has served me well since 1997.

Back