Gator dislikes being called "spyware"

By on October 23, 2003, 2:21 AM
In an effort to improve its corporate reputation, adware company Gator has launched a legal offensive to divorce its name from the hated term "spyware"--and so far its strategy is paying off.

In response to a libel lawsuit, an antispyware company has settled with Gator and pulled Web pages critical of the company, its practices and its software. And other spyware foes are getting the message.

Read more: [URL=http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5095051.html?tag=nefd_top]CNet News[/URL].

poertner_1274 said:
This is absolutely absurd. How are they not considered spyware? That is ridiculous!!!
StormBringer said:
Well, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...
acidosmosis said:
Eh, and I'm not a geek. Sure.
TS | Thomas said:
Gator's market research shows that people don't unwittingly install Gator because they enjoy downloading & using free software. They do it because "Gator" is a hip, completely in-your-face-to-the-max, surfboarding-on-Snapple-waves extreme-rap brand name.Hope this clears that spyware nonsense up.
acidosmosis said:
LOL, what market research? The one they pulled straight out of their *bleep*? ROFL.Yea last night I conducted some reasearch and found that all American's are in fact aliens. Yes, thats right we all agreed that we are aliens from another planet. Now the Europeans can rest at night :-P(just kidding of course)
TS | Thomas said:
No, market research, twas a joke :)
acidosmosis said:
Yes, I know ;-) Though.. as stupid as this company is I don't doubt it one bit that they would say something like that :)
poertner_1274 said:
Well at least I can sleep at night now knowing that Gator is doing something to 'try' to get out of the spyware catagory. I was extremely worried there for a bit that people would hate them FOREVER!!!! but it appears they are trying to clean their act up and change their image, so I think I am going to go install it and play around with it. You never know it could actually be a useful piece of software.puke: puke: puke:Ok I'm done.This is still unbelivable that they don't consider themselves spyware.
---agissi--- said:
What does Gator do on your computer anyways? I know it gets on my computer without my knowledge from time to time :mad:
wicka_wicka said:
Yeah, and they changed their name to Claria...
acidosmosis said:
Oh boy. Not cool. If they changed their name to "Claria" they are obviously trying to avoid the spyware label by starting off clean so that we will again not know what this software actually is and possibly download it. *sigh*