internet connection status logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

Bit of a strange one here.

I want to get access to a timestamped log of each time my computer connects or disconnects from the internet. Now, I don't know if it's even possible, but I've been searching for a logon script on google to create such a log, and haven't found one (even if it is possible, I'm not yet clever enough to write one myself!)

I had thought that a script that logs each website visited with a timestamp, or even a timestamped keylogger would so the trick, but with a number of people using my machine at the moment, I don't want to be infringing on anyones privacy/passwords, (I don't think I want to know what some of the sites visited are!!! lol) , so I guess a keylogger or a website log is out of the question.

Basically, I have a machine that runs perfectly well when I'm using it, but since other people have used it, various other problems happen.

For instance, last night, my machine was networked with a friends, with mine acting as an internet connection server. when I woke up in the morning, my 10GB windows drive was FULL because an extra 5GB of data had been written to it in the form of MP3s and AVIs. hmm. (Out of question, is a network file transfer log possible/availiable?). Given the fact that there was also a 20GB d: available with 17GB of space, you'd think it would have been put there, but it seems computer science qualifications don't tell you that :mad: (no offence to anybody qualified in computer science! It's more of a common sense thing). 45mins of file copying before I can use my machine is not my idea of fun I'm afraid.

Anyway, I just want to know some basic information about what's going on with my PC, and I can't stay awake 24/7 to watch it.

Any pointers to an appropriate logon script that can watch it for me would be most welcome.

Have you looked at Event Log? I can see all my network connections/disconnections in it.

I honestly hadn't thought of that. Thankyou. It will do the job. The only trouble is that there's a lot of events to look through in there.

Thankyou :)

I honestly never realised there was a filter option. Makes life a lot easier.

Three years with XP and I didn't notice. Kind of makes me feel a little silly really... :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back