XBox Ad Banned In UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehementi

ITC bans X-Box Ad
By Julia Day
Posted: Wednesday, June 5th 2002

http://media.guardian.co.uk/advertising/story/0,7492,727772,00.html
A controversial ad for the Microsoft X-Box, which shows a man crash-landing into a grave, has been banned after 136 viewers complained to the television watchdog.

The independent television commission ordered Microsoft to pull the campaign after receiving complaints claiming it was shocking and offensive.

The ad, by Bartle Bogle Hegarty, starts with a baby boy being shot through a window by the force of his birth. He ages rapidly as he travels through the air, screaming, and finally crashes into his own grave as an old man.

A pregnant woman, a new mother and 20 recently bereaved viewers said they had found the ad offensive.

One viewer, who had lost a child during childbirth, said she had found it to be an upsetting reminder of her own experience.

Microsoft claimed the endline to the ad, "Life is short. Play more", was a "positive statement about life".

But the ITC disagreed, saying: "The man's screams throughout his life's journey suggested a traumatic experience, which, together with the reminder that life is short, made the final scene more shocking."

I dunno if you guys have seen this, but I found it while surfing over at Gamepro.

Odd. It is a pretty cool ad, but I can see why people were offended.

People are just too soft... I'm really surprised it didn't get banned in America first. Perhaps it will follow suit.

I thought it was pretty lame myself, but not something anyone should get upset over. Well, maybe upset that they couldn't come up with a better ad.

I don't think the ad, if shown (I haven't seen it thus far), will be banned. America hasn't banned any commercials (I think...) in the last 20 years or so. We're alot more lenient when it comes to what's on TV anyway, despite what some overly modest people may believe & advocate. Besides, if that ad was banned, wouldn't that violate an amendment? Perhaps the first? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm not learned in the ways of American capitalist government, for I am only in the wee 9th grade.

"Freedom of speech" is something that would probably grant this advertisment minimal protection....

When people get offended or injured somehow from this "freedom", that is when this amendment changes from "freedom of speech" to "shut the hell up". ;)
This amendment is good on paper, but in real world applications, it is purely subjective and varies greatly.

If enough people find it offensive, it is usually dealt with. That would be the case with this commercial. There may be a chance that Microsoft could protest with a law suit, but this is probably too meager for them to consider.

I find it hard to understand why it would be found so offensive to anyone that they would actually complain in mass numbers. My opinion is one of many though..... And neither side is 100% I suppose. I can understand how it may be distrurbing, but offensive is not the word for it.

Its possible that a ban was the original objective of the advert's producers. These shock tactics plus "get into the news coz its been banned" was once a popular method of getting increased coverage and publicity, such Beniton adverts of the 90's.

Anything involving childbirth or abortion is usually a prime candidate for a good banning, as its likely to offend someone and yet has a chance of passing initial censors in a way that racism, homophobia, sexism, etc would not.

Ultimately what happens often in these cases is that people want "to know what all of the fuss is about" and actually consciously seek out the advert in question to judge for themselves. Having consumers actually seek out ads is a prime objective of advertising and its holy grail.

Now, after reading this thread here, how many 3DS members will go and try and find this ad for themselves just to see it??? I rest my case...

I believe Beniton produced in the 90's a poster showing a black, a white and an asian baby, all newborn (and looking it!) Now if you have seen a newborn baby (not cleaned up yet) you will know the kind of image here. I forget the caption but it was something extremely witty about racial equality. Of course, it was promptly objected to and banned, but not before it was blastered all over the news and had its desired effect.

Originally posted by Vehementi
I don't think the ad, if shown (I haven't seen it thus far), will be banned. America hasn't banned any commercials (I think...) in the last 20 years or so. We're alot more lenient when it comes to what's on TV anyway, despite what some overly modest people may believe & advocate. Besides, if that ad was banned, wouldn't that violate an amendment? Perhaps the first? Forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm not learned in the ways of American capitalist government, for I am only in the wee 9th grade.

As far as I know, it's only been banned in the UK.

Here's the link to the Ad -> http://195.92.178.248/media2/01_02/champagne.wmv

*Edit* The link doesn't work anymore. I have downloaded the file some time ago, it's not that special but it if someone wants it, I can upload it.

I know I'm probably stating the obvious but I don't really see how a woman who had a miscarriage can be too offended by a baby being SHOT out of a woman in an ad.
That's a bit like banning shots of funerals in all TV/Films because "you" were at a funeral for someone who died.

Originally posted by TS | Thomas
That's a bit like banning shots of funerals in all TV/Films because "you" were at a funeral for someone who died.

On the other hand funerals for someone who hasn't died should be banned :haha: ;)

HaHaHa...!

I remember I first downloaded that movie sometime ago... It was an advertisement that really made me laughed... Yah it's a bit offensive, but we should just learn to shun it instead of complaining it and everything

-> Suit yourself to the world instead of suiting the world to yourself :)

Veh - I've lived in both the UK and the US and to be honest they show much more shocking stuff in the UK than they do in the US. You would die if you saw what comes on BB1, BBC2, BBC3, and Channel 4.

I hope this commercial doesn't get banned in the US as well. I haven't seen it yet, but as some of you have stated you would have to ban damn near everything because it could offend someone. Even the word damn that I just put in there. Twice. Wonder if that gets banned?

LNCPapa

Imagine how it was like in the Victorian Age...

Prudes.

I've never seen British TV. Actually I have, I used to watch Wallace & Gromit all the time in my English class.
Every time I see something like this I'm always wondering "What will they ban next...?"

I think the classic phrase is "No sex please, we're british".
Referring to our reservations about sex on television.
Its no where near as bad as it used to be but its still very reserved in that respect in comparison to other places in Europe.

How about a new Xbox slogan? "Play less, Have a life"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back