Windows Update Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewels

I've been having a problem trying to run windows update for more than six months. I have no idea what happened, but when I first installed my Windows, the update page ran just fine. But later on, for no reason at all, it stopped trying to scan my computer for updates I need. Here's what happens. I open the Windows Update page, it loads as normal. After the page loads, the message on it says "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website..." And that's as far as it goes, it tells me that it's done loading at the bottom of the IE. :eek: Tried contacting Windows, but they just responded that they are STILL working on it. I would love to check what sorts of updates have came out. :(
Any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Try this.

Right click my computer, and select manage. Click on the + next to services and applications. Now click on the services icon, and maximise the page.

Find the automatic updates entry, and right click on it. Select properties, and under startup type choose automatic. Click apply, ok. Now close the window, and try to run the Windows update programme again.

Hopefully this will fix you problem.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hmm.

The automatic option was on already. And, nope, still getting nowhere on the site. Under the message "Checking ..." it also says "The website uses ActiveX controls to determine which version of the software your computer is running. If you see an ActiveX warning, make sure the control is digitally signed by Microsoft before installing it or allowing it to run." My pop-up blocker is disabled in case the website has pop-ups. Maybe I'm missing something? :confused:

Sorry for replying late, wasn't home on weekends. :stickout:
Just tried repairing windows, and now the IE doesn't load at all.
And yes I have installed SP2, Patio. :)

After attempting about 10 more times to launch IE, I was able to get to the same Windows Update page. And still the same thing happens. It starts loading and then nothing. :(

I'm having the same problem on a Windows Server '03 machine.

I removed the Windows Update objects, cleared the cache and cookies to no avail.

I'm going to reapply SP1 and see what happens.

I'll post the fix if I can find one, please do the same if you do.

Mark

OK, I got mine to work.

I went into TOOLS --> INTERNET OPTIONS. I clicked on the VIEW OBJECTS button and deleted any in there that were related to Windows Update (you can tell by right clicking and going to the properties). I closed all windows then opened up Windows Update again. Now I truncated the URL to get rid of the stuff at the end. I think I ended up with this as my URL

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/

This bypassed the screen which it would hang at, and brought me to a screen that showed that I needed to install some components. Heh, from there I just followed the prompts and it basically reinstalled the whole mess and it worked.

Good luck!

Mark

I tried the cleaning suggestion you have posted, and it still doesn't work. My windows update page keeps going to http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us... I even cut and pasted your windows update page link.
Also did not have any things related to windows update in the folder you suggested cleaning. I am cinsidering reinstalling my windows next week.
At the moment trying to download SP1. It's a little lagre and my connection seems to be jumpy. Will tell you what happens once I install it.

I'm sure you can get it to work without reinstalling Windows. What I'm guessing has happened is that some of Windows Update didn't install correctly. Now it is just a matter of figuring out how / where to fix it.

There is a troubleshooter here:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

They mention Zone Alarm for XP, do you run it? If so, try disabling it.

You may also want to try this (from the same page)

For Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003:
download our controls from http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/cab/x86/unicode/iuctl.cab and save them to your desktop. Extract the .cab file following the steps below:

1. Go to the desktop and right click the iuctl.cab file.
2. Click "Open".
3. Select all the files listed.
4. Right click on them and click "Extract."
5. Point to a known location (like the desktop) and click "OK."
6. Go to the location you selected and right click the iuctl.inf file.
5. Click "Install."

Mark

jewels said:
I tried the cleaning suggestion you have posted, and it still doesn't work. My windows update page keeps going to http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us... I even cut and pasted your windows update page link.
Also did not have any things related to windows update in the folder you suggested cleaning. I am cinsidering reinstalling my windows next week.
At the moment trying to download SP1. It's a little lagre and my connection seems to be jumpy. Will tell you what happens once I install it.

jewels said:

If you have SP2 installed why on earth would you want to DLoad and re-install SP1 ? ?
SP2 is a cumulative upgrade which means that all updates to that point are part of it.

patio. :cool:

Alright. Definately going to reinstall windows xp tomorrow! Tried installing that file you suggested, Mark. And after restarting windows, .... still nothing. And did not install SP1, Patio, because heard that the update page will not work nowadays if you have only SP1 installed. Might not be true. :dead:
But the page worked before, the first time that Iinstalled Windows on this computer, and then at some point it just stopped loading. :unch:

jewels said:
I've been having a problem trying to run windows update for more than six months. I have no idea what happened, but when I first installed my Windows, the update page ran just fine. But later on, for no reason at all, it stopped trying to scan my computer for updates I need. Here's what happens. I open the Windows Update page, it loads as normal. After the page loads, the message on it says "Checking if your computer has the latest version of Windows updating software for use with the website..." And that's as far as it goes, it tells me that it's done loading at the bottom of the IE. :eek: Tried contacting Windows, but they just responded that they are STILL working on it. I would love to check what sorts of updates have came out. :(
Any ideas?
It is your firewall settings which is causing this problem...

Please make sure that "Generic host proccess for Win 32 services" has been granted Internet access and is also been recognised as a trusted application by your firewall.

Cheers,
N

The setting on my firewall says that the "Generic host process for Win 32 services" is granted full access. Although I'm not sure as how to make it be recognised as a trusted application. I'm using McAfee Personal Firewall plus.

The main problem is that I do get occasional notifiers for automatic updates run by my computer, which are able to download only critical updates. The problem is I can't get into the site and download the not-so-critical updates. :(

jewels said:
The setting on my firewall says that the "Generic host process for Win 32 services" is granted full access. Although I'm not sure as how to make it be recognised as a trusted application. I'm using McAfee Personal Firewall plus.

The main problem is that I do get occasional notifiers for automatic updates run by my computer, which are able to download only critical updates. The problem is I can't get into the site and download the not-so-critical updates. :(

I still think it is your firewall which might be causing this problem.

Can you please disable the firewall(s) temporarily and then do a windows update.

If it still doesn't work then we will try something else ...

N

Couldn't log onto internet until now. Having problems with ISP. :dead: Sorry.

Ok. Tried disabling the firewall and the whole of McAfee services and still nothing.

This will work!

Problem description

This error may occur if the MSXML3.dll is missing or not properly registered.

Applicable operating systems

Windows 2000

Windows XP

Windows Server 2003

Resolutions
1. Register MSXML3.dll
Click Start.
Choose Run.
In the Run box, type regsvr32 MSXML3.dll.
Click OK.

2. Re-register the Windows Update DLL with the commands below
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Attempt to run Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back