Motherboard/VGA card noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been trying to find a solution to a weird problem I've been having recently. I'm hoping someone here has had the same problem and figured out a way to fix it.

Anyway, the problem I'm having is noise being emitted either from my mobo or the Videocard that is EXTREMELY bothersome. It sounds like some kind of static(?), and occurs mainly when I load graphical applications. In games, for example, it almost always occurs when I'm browsing a menu, but not when I'm actually playing. In 3dMarks (any version), its there throughout the whole test. I also get short bursts of it (almost inaudible) when dragging icons on the desktop, or scrolling in a browser. It's a very high pitched buzzing sound that seems to be coming from somewhere in between the videocard and a section of a the motherboard. I can't pin-point the exact location though. If anything, it sounds like its coming from some resistor or electrical component on the video card.

Before anyone suggests that it might be a fan, it's not. I have silenced all the fans while the noise was being emitted and got nothing.

Anyway, if anyone here knows what this might be, advice would be greatly appreciated. It's been a pain in the *** to have to listen to it all the time. I've even contemplated sending both the mobo and video card back, as I don't have additional components to test with

Main components:
Epox 9NPA+ Ultra Mobo
380 Watt Antec Truepower PS
X800XL
Chaintech AV-710 Sound Card

Thanks in advance

hey User u said u always hav some kind of buzzing noise!

if u r using an Barbone pc,it might be the HardDisk?If not Amd Processor Fan,Cuz if the fan is spoiled it cause it the have a noise.your graphic is onboard?or u r using AGP or PCI?telll me more so that i can tell u why.

calll me or email me at coolidea2@hotmail.com

It is not the hd, or any fan for the matter (I have tested each thoroughly). The noise is coming from an electrical component on the video card, which I can't pin point. Some people have complained of something similar here before, which they called a whistle(?) or some kinda hum(?). I was wondering if there was a way I can silence the resistor or capacitor that's making the annoying noise without damaging the component

I usually find a solution to most of my problems through trial and error, but in this case the video card is just too expensive to screw around with

BTW, I am not using onboard anything. The video card is a Rosewill X800XL.

I have the EXACT problem. The sound is high pitch like a whistle (or the high frequency sound when you turn on a television). The sound comes from the video card. I know this because I took out my FX5700 and installed my old Geforce 3 Ti200 and no sound from there.

This happens on my Geforce FX5700 and I still have no clue why it does that. It makes the sound when I scroll while browsing and when I start a game (ex. Guild Wars).

All I know is it comes from my Geforce FX5700.
And it is NOT the fan. I repeat, NOT the fan. Why? I disconnected the fan from the video card for a minute and the sound still exists. With or without fan, it does the high pitch noise.

Heh Heh!I hav the same Graphics As U!

it cannot be coming the graphics.i might be from the Power fan!mine does not hav any noise!Mine is same cuz,Inno 3D GEFORCE FX5700

Well for me, I'm sure it is the video card because when I took out my video card and switched with a known good one, the sound vanished. In my case, I installed my Geforce 3 Ti200 that I took out from my old computer and was working fine for several years.

When I reinstall my Geforce FX5700 back, sound appeared again. So I conclude that it IS from my video card.

I do have a feeling that MAYBE it could be something to with power supply. Not directly but possibly that the video card would need more power thus releasing that annoying sound. That's my guess. I do have a 400 watt power supply.

Tri3Dent said:
Well for me, I'm sure it is the video card because when I took out my video card and switched with a known good one, the sound vanished. In my case, I installed my Geforce 3 Ti200 that I took out from my old computer and was working fine for several years.

When I reinstall my Geforce FX5700 back, sound appeared again. So I conclude that it IS from my video card.

I do have a feeling that MAYBE it could be something to with power supply. Not directly but possibly that the video card would need more power thus releasing that annoying sound. That's my guess. I do have a 400 watt power supply.

Yeh, your problem sounds EXACTLY the same as mine. I'm 100% certain its from my card, and I'm almost 100% certain it's not supposed to be there (my old Ti4200 doesn't have this problem). I know this problem is rare, but is there possibly ANYONE here that has dealt with something like this, and actually managed to fix it? It would be of great help

sounds to me like a bad ground somewhere on the card (most likely a fan) causing RF interferance through your speakers. It could also be your speakers aren't shielded well enough and are more sensative to RF (or a combination of the two.)

Thanks for the reply, but its NOT coming from the speakers. I had disconnected them completely at one point, so I'm sure its not them. I guess this is just one of those problems you have to learn to live with

Hi, did anyone find a solution yet? I'm having the same problem also. I'm 99% certain that the whistle/noise/hum/static is coming from the capacitors on my motherboard. I've read some article that said to "move the capacitors a tiny tiny bit". After doing that the noise was about half as strong as before, but still existant. Has anyone found a permanent solution yet?

I recently am having the same problem. Same exact situation. Sounds like somewhere on the graphics card or between it and the bottom of the case. It occurs more during the exact same processes described in the very first post on this topic. Im sure it is not the HD or fans.

The thing was working perfectly fine until the day I stuck in a 500 watt power supply. I upgraded it from only a 300 watt. However, also that day I attempted to test my brother's new broken video card. When I installed it I think I might have put some pressure on a capacitor on the motherboard in an attempt to release my AGP video card. I am almost completely sure the noise is coming from my motherboard.. The noise is affected by both hard drive access and different video applications (along with other things). Everything seems to have an effect on the noise, and everything is plugged into my motherboard. Also, switching to an older video card could eliminate the noise because the parts on the motherboard would not have to work as hard (like having a 4x AGP card) -- which would explain Tri3Dent's success with changing to an older video card.

In writing this topic, the noise went away and I can't get it to come back by regularly using software. Tomorrow I am recieving a new motherboard and video card, so Im pretty sure the noise will be gone with those upgrades, but if the noise comes back tonight I'll stick my old power supply in to see if that changes anything.
Ultra X-Finity 500 watt PS (upgraded from generic 300 watt)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
cheap ECS motherboard (AMD w/ 8x AGP)

I only registered to reply to this topic as I'm having the same issue and I think my insight could help you guys out.

I've tried several mainboards, VGA cards (PCIe) and PSUs - all with little or no difference in the manifestation of the phenomenon.

I've come to the conclusion that it is a general design problem whereby electromagnetic noise eminates, mainly, from the PCIe connection to the VGA card. Relative to the rest of the system, the VGA card can potentially suck two to four times as much power and so it might make sense that some buzzing might occur if the componentry is not designed to deal with the noise.

With that said, very few power supplies have PCIe cables that are shielded. In fact, I've only found one brand that does and these PSUs are not available to me to test this theory.

This problem may not be exclusive to PCIe hardware.

This is quite normal...The sound comes from the voltage regulators on the motherboard. This is of course when there is a lot of load on them. Some motherboards may or may not exhibit this problem, depending on the type/quality of components they use. Cheap motherboards may emit a louder noise than higher build motherboards at full loads. No matter if you cool them, you will not get rid of the noise. This is not certainly bad or dangerous. It is not from the PSU, GPU, CPU or HDDs. It is from the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back