Battlefield 2 and the Radeon 9200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodex

Alright I just want to post this very simple fix to a problem people have Radeon 9200 128mb and running Battlefield 2

First off you need to look at the system specs on your game box, make sure yours matches them or is above.

Here are my specs (if you have these or above you should be fine)
Athlon XP 2800+
nForce2 Motherboard
512 mb DDR RAM
120 GB Wester Digital HD(Doesnt really matter if you 40 or above)
Radeon 9200 128mb

After updating your ATi Drivers and Direct X of course you usually freeze right after the intro movie, where a woman's voice says welcome, blah blah. The a VCU Recovery Crash Log comes up and the game crashes.

I spent all day looking for a solution to no avail. But after tweakin around a bit I solved the problem

Set you AGP from 8x to 4x (in the Catlyst Control Center or right click on the ATi icon on the toolbar and go to Display Settings>Smartgear), and there you go all fixed (a system restart is required). When you first launch the game it will be on lowest settings, keep it this way if you want smooth framerate and performance! And whenever you fire your gun in game, it will freeze for maybe 2 seconds, another frustrating problem. Restart the game and that problem is solved.

Alright thats it for me, just wanted to say hi to everyone, hope this helps someone. Go Battlefield 2!

FarCry

how about for far cry? my card/pc plays BF2 no problem.. i didnt have to do ne setting the AGP to 4x or w/e... everything is perfectly fine.. however, with far cry, i get the VPU recovery error.. hmm... the game doesnt lag or anything like that either.. jsut that randomly.. it freezes for bout 20 seconds.. then minimizes the game then tells me of that VPU recovery stuff i close that. go back to the game. n its fine... till it freezes again n does the VPU stuff again.. so yea.. u got a solution? other than setting my AGP to 4x?

Thats exactle what happened with me and Battlefield 2, and Far Cry works fine, haha oppopsite games witht he same card. The only thing I found to work was switching to 4x AGP, if that didnt work for Far Cry try switching to OpenGL from Direct3D, other than that I really dont know what to tell you except buy a new video card, Radeon 9600 will play anything and theya re going for 50 USD.

i have the 9600pro =].. i jus reinstalled drivers n stuff.. will try the 4x agp solution if this doesnt work

Doesnt work, grr

sorry mate but i have the 9200 card and that solution doesnt work. It wont even open. It just goes black 4 a while the closes....

any other suggestions? :unch:

heh, my card plays it fine now, no more VPU recovery stuff.. all i did was i uninstalled all the video drivers.. also took off all the ASUS programs (that came in the disc) then reinstalled catalyst 5.6 n yep.. everything works like a charm =]

splurbus, tell me wut u have tried so far.. then i can give u more useful suggestions =]

Splurbus, try re installing your drivers, or take them off like truflip. If that doesnt work make sure you have Direct X 9.0c and that its installed fromt he BF 2 disc (just to make sure you didn't download a corrupt file). Mess around with your catalyst control center. Turn off fast write, check your sound settings (sometimes these can cause many problems with video and performance). Also post your PC specs. Always keep it on 4x AGP anyways.

mine still wont work =/

I recently bought BF2, and was really mad when it wouldn't work. I tryed doing 4x, and it still freezes after the lady says Welcome or whatever. I also tryed reinstalling drivers. I have the catalyst 5.6 now. I don't know what else to do this is very disapointing.
Here are my system specs:
AMD Anthon 3200+ 2.20 GHz
768 Mb of Ram
Radeon 9200 128

another thing, i cant get into smartgart to change the agp settings to 4x, i went to the bios and made it 4x in there. oh yea, i have pci so i thinks thats my problem? any solution? the pci settings on smartgart wont let u change to 4x, but the game still freezes. so sumthin is still wrong

This really is a power hungry game and needs a bit of a monster computer to run high everything. Anything less than something like a 9800xt and i wouldnt bother with anything other than low/medium setting's.

Although having said all that i have run this game on a minimum spec machine 1700 processor, 512mb ram. it ran fine but on nothing higher than medium with draw distance to 90% it did have a 5950 ultra card in it though.(Loading times are slow)

Cant understand why people are getting so many problems with this game as i have installed this on 4 computers and it's been great on all of them. (2 high end gaming machines and 2 older systems)

=/ thats not what happnes for me it loads fine when i pick the map bla bla bla but when its about to let you select your guy and go kill stuff it locks up n goes back to the loading screen with the join game thing but no cursor and no loading is goin on and my comp is still running... ahhhh help would be great.... i got the radeon 9200 and 712 mb or ram... x.x

The 9200 doesn't meet the minimum BF2 requirement and it is not supported. So even if you can get it to run, it's not likely to ever run well.

I don't have this game but aren't the minimum requirements printed on the box?

alright i have a real frustrating problem. My computers box(yes its a store bought computer and i am trying to save to build a gaming pc) says 512 mb of ram...but in the sys specs it says 448?!?! anyone know how to free up the other ram?

ok guys, if your really frustrated with your 9200, i think its time to buy a new graphics card. i mean for 100 dollars you can get a 9600xt(256mb) i mean thats not bad, unless your really low on money. i just bought a 9800 pro and im running bf2 fine. or if your have the money build your own system!

Video Card not supporting BF2

I have a Dell with 2.66 processor 1G ram but the dumb thing is Dell forgot to put an AGP slot in my motherboard...go figure. I read that BF2 wont run on a PCI card. I play BF Vietnam and BF 1942 with all the settings on high but BF2 freezes up. Anyway, if u have a pc that wont run BF2 but will run the other BF games and dont want to spend a lot of money on upgrades just download the BF Vietnam mod Point of Existence. It has alot of what you will see in the BF2 game. All the vehiles are really cool...and there is also a few online servers available.

Thanks,
David

I just saw that Kevin mentioned this exact thread on "Attack of the Show" yesterday. Did anyone else see it?

on one of those links, they were talking about how lowering the agp setting worked. i need that smartgear tab, anyone know where it is? i only have the tabs on the picture i posted 2 posts up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back