D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recently, my CD-ROM and CD-RW, (D:\ and E:\ drives) Have stopped working. If I put in a disk, the program does not automatically run, whether it be a game, Audio CD, etc. If I go into 'My Computer' and click on either of the icons for the drives it comes up with a message 'D:\ (or E:\) is not accessible. Incorrect function.' and no matter what else I try (run, clicking a game icon on the desk top, etc...), it won't run the disk and always comes up with this message.

I have windows XP, and I've tried troubleshooting and looking through windows' online support/information, and I'm not finding it very helpful. If I go to 'Device Manager' and look at the device status of either of the drives, it says the "The device is working properly" and doesn't show that anything is wrong.

I have not recently installed windows XP, and I know that the disk drives are compatible with XP, since I've had this computer for over a year and they've worked fine until a few weeks ago. I haven't changed any hardware or anything like that either.

Can someone help me identify what the problem is and suggest some ways to fix it?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Couple of things for you to try.

Go into your device manager, and uninstall the devices from there. Now reboot your system, and let Windows redetect them.

If that doesn`t work, maybe changing the ide cable will help.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

If that didn't work this might

I had the same problem and recently cured it by going to the Drive letter in Windows Explorer and right clicking on it. Go to Properties; Click on Recording; Check "Enable CD recording on this drive". If it wasn't clicked before this will probably do it.

Feeling your frustation!

I am experiencing the same problem. I think mine started when I installed/uninstalled XP Pro. I was receiving the 'not accesible/incorrect function' message from both the CD and DVD ROM drives. Of course the device status response that I'm getting is "The device is working properly". After I clicked on "Enable CD recording on this drive" to my DVD ROM drive, I am now able to read CD's in my CD ROM drive, and read CD's and DVD's in my DVD ROM drive. But I'm still not able to burn DVD's! For some reason the burning softwares I use tell me that it's not seeing a disc in the drive when there's one in there. Do you think this is a driver issue?

Try going to Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM, and (in turn) right click each drive, insert your installation disk, and click UPDATE DRIVER. Follow the driver update wizard instructions. See if anything changes.

Also, go to the Event Viewer, and under System, scroll and see if you have any errors involving ATAPI, Event 9. and post what you find here.

Incorrect function

I lived with the same problem " (It seemed like forever). I did the device manager deletion thing (described by Blink) Did you understand it? I did it every couple of days. It worked fine temporarily. I changed out the cable too.
Eventually bought a Memorex external drive. That solved the problem. I was able to copy. BUT, It didn't correct the problem with my modem. I have an extended warrenty. I called The Ins. Co. and did the SYSTEM RESTORE thing Be prepared to lose everything if you do.. They finally sent someone to replace the defective drive. However it sounds like your problem is more complex because you cant read anything on any drive. SOOOOOoooooo
I'm of ther opinion that you need 'in house' service. Hope you have insurance.

Just recently this problem has started on my toshiba satellite 5105, it will run any install disc or anything that is not a burned cd, doesnt matter if the cd is blank or not, i tried what howard suggested, of unistalling it, nothing changed, well the only thing that did, was when i put in a burned cd(CDR) it \doesnt do anything i have to right click on the E: drive and have it say "E:\ is not accessible incorrect function." I am getting really frustrated at this , because obviously i want to look at what I burned, its a MAt****a UJDA 730 dvd/ cdrw drive, and i tried looking on the toshiba disks that came with this laptop ,and i tried installing a file Q311455 that said something for the cd rom, but it wouldnt let me because of the sp, so should i uninstall the sp and try that file? it was a drive that was on the recovery disk. Any ideas, i would rather not have to replace my whole cd drive , but if thats the only sure fire way of fixing it, let me know. thank you very much hope to hear some great advice.

ok i tried the enable writing of the cd, and i can view the cd, but it says the cd is blank , when im sure there is data on it, i think i am going to take my discs to school and see if they will even open there, it treats cdrs' as blank cds, install discs will work fine, doesnt matter the manufactor all of them dont want to show themselves , so im at a loss of what to do, but go to another computer and see if i can even access the data on them

sorry i am just adding as much information as i can , i just tried opening a burned copy of a game, and it worked, it actually worked, so i guess its having trouble, with the music, pictures and so forth ones, any idea why? could all the data have gone corrupt, the cds didnt last or something? it doesnt look like damage or anything like that

edit it came back to me and said E:\setup.ins file has been corrupted unable to load install instructions error 704

I have a few instances of:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: atapi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 11/26/2005
Time: 8:05:53 AM
User: N/A
Computer: COHO
Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 50 00 01 00 a4 00 ..P...¤.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 ........
0038: 40 00 00 0e 00 00 01 00 @.......
0040: 00 00 0c 12 48 00 00 00 ....H...
0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
0050: b8 c2 71 ec 20 44 e9 86 ¸Âqì Dé†
0058: 00 00 00 00 f0 ac e5 86 ....ð¬å†
0060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0068: be 04 00 00 00 00 00 00 ¾.......
0070: 10 f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 .ð......

then one instance of:

Description:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:

followed by a whole day's worth of:

Description:

Data:

Does that help?

D:\\is not accessible: Incorrect Function

"I had the same problem and recently cured it by going to the Drive letter in Windows Explorer and right clicking on it. Go to Properties; Click on Recording; Check "Enable CD recording on this drive". If it wasn't clicked before this will probably do it."[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem with my Sony (factory installed) D drive -- it will not recognize blank discs. I tried updating the drivers, uninstalling the drive and rebooting -- nothing worked. I then tried doing the above, but could not find a tab "Recording" -- can somebody please help me out.

Thanks

Has anyone run into the problem where the "recording" tab is not present?

I am having the issue where I get the "Drive inaccessible. incorrect function" error.

I did r-click the drive under explorer and then to 'properties', however no 'recording' tab existed. So I cant help but feel I am overlooking something.

I am running XPpro and the device in question is a LiteOn DVD-RW. When I get back home (@work currently) I will attempt the 'uninstall' and reinstall technique, but the no 'recording' tab is bothering me.

Suggestions to look into?
Thanks all.

Krmson,
I have XP, found the 'recording' tab. Had some updates that required a restart, anyway, and after restarting no more problems. Whew! Thank goodness. I got off the hook, the simple way, the first time. How have things been for you, any progress?

Some, I did the uninstall/reinstall and managed to get the 'recording' tab. Still didn't help with the dvd burning. When I explore the dvd with a blank disc it reads free/used space as 0 bytes and capacity as 0 bytes... I am using Memorex DVDs and at this point can only assume that the media is not compatible.

I have managed to burn data onto CDs, so I will have to get some different DVDs and try again.

Am having the same problem. All of sudden my Toshiba Laptop M45-S2693, which has been a flawless machine, will not recognize the DVD component of the factory installed CD/DVD burner, nor will it recognize my external DVD burner as anything except a CD drive. I am unable to transfer files from harddrive to either DVD burner, because as soon as a disk is inserted, i get "D:\Device is not accessible. Incorrect function." Both of these burners have been workhorses until yesterday! I've checked device manager, checked/unchecked/re-checked the "Enable Audio CD;" have uninstalled devices and had computer find the new hardware. Nothing works. Toshiba will charge $35 for a phone consult - am reluctant to go that route, because I have no assurance they'll be able to solve my problem - although I am confident they'll take my $35. <g> Am reluctant to run immediately to a service place, because years of experience have taught me that they prefer to make things easy on themselves by reformatting the harddrive. Just now bought a new batch of disks, that wasn't the problem.

I'M DESPERATE! Thanks for any suggestions.

hey,
Sadly I am having the same exact problems. After reading this thread I noticed that there seem to be problems with Toshiba's and the Matsh!ta DVD-RAM. Has anyone else noticed this?
I have a Toshiba, and like everyone else my cd-rom and dvd drive have worked really well until this happened. I tried EVERYTHING! System restore, changing the registry... even going back to my recovery disks and still no answers.

I did a windows update a couple of days ago. I rebooted and thought everything was fine except for when I tried to play a disk I had burned.

Does anyone think there is a correlation between the windows update and the cd-rom problems? I mean, it sounds a little too coincidental that we all have the same brands of computers and cd drives.

if anyone figures this out I will be checking back.
Thanks for reading this.

Unable To Read Dvd

Thanks very much for the response. My problem has been solved and, while I doubt the solution is likely to be the same for anyone else, it's still, it's worth knowing.

After trying everything, took my laptop to an authorized Toshiba service center. After two days, they gave their diagnosis: a wafer-thin, virtually invisible oval of polypropylene from a disk sleeve had fallen into the disk tray, such that, when the tray was closed, it covered up something required to read the DVD. From time to time, apparently, it would come unseated, which is how it happened to be discovered.

Now hear this: they had my machine for two days and would not accept a penny. I would happily have paid them - all they have to sell is their skills and their service, and they put a lot of time into finding the solution. What great folks!

I hope someone else will be as fortunate as I in determining a solution. Mine works like a charm, once again.

D:\ is not accessible Incorrect Function

Gosh you guys are great! Suddenly my CD drive would not recognise empty CDs anymore, only if I formatted them wiht DLA first which I did not really want to do. Recorded CDs were no problem.
I already thought I have to buy a new PC and I looked in google and found you and the answer: going to the Drive letter in Windows Explorer and right clicking on it. Go to Properties; Click on Recording; Check "Enable CD recording on this drive". If it wasn't clicked before this will probably do it. FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Heaps

wcely said:
I had the same problem and recently cured it by going to the Drive letter in Windows Explorer and right clicking on it. Go to Properties; Click on Recording; Check "Enable CD recording on this drive". If it wasn't clicked before this will probably do it.
What do you mean going to the drive letter in IE???
I'm extremely confused. I'm suffering from the same problem.
But I have no idea how to go to the drive letter??!?!??!

Hi shamsaur, going to the drive letter means going into either "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer", where you see listed all your files, folders and also your Harddrive C:\, your CD-Rom Drive (usually D:\, but can be different) etc.

The "Drive Letter" is the letter identifying the hardware, in your case you need it to get to your CD-Rom drive.

By right clicking on it, you'll be able to access it's properties and follow instructions given above. Good luck.

By the way, welcome to the forums, Lara. I love to see new members who have received some help turn around give some help. It is what these forums are about.

Okay I have the same problem as all of you with Windows XP Professional, my CD drive can read, run and download from my CD’s. It just won’t allow me to Copy or move anything to a blank CD or even one that I wrote on previously, when I try that latter one I get the error message; “Files on this CD-ROM drive are Read-Only. You cannot copy or move files over to the CD-ROM Drive.”

This started about May of this year, 2007.

* Note* Over a year ago, I did have a full computer crash (Windows XP Home), so I wiped everything and set my computer with a new Windows XP Pro.

Also like Krymson, I right-clicked the drive under explorer and then to 'properties', however no 'recording' tab existed.

I tried uninstalling the Drive, which is LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-4832K.
Rebooted the comp detected it and still no use.

I tried what wlknaack said and installed and ran the Windows XP KB920918 Atapi.sys hotfix … still nothing!

(I have the Service Pack’s 1 – 2 –3 and also the SP2 Update).

I know the blank CD’s are good; I bought three different brands and got the same results on all of them.

So, am I missing something? An upgrade, or some kind of magical fix-all?
Or does my CD-ROM drive just need to be replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back