Problems with Partition Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had both Linux and XP installed on my computer, XP on a primary partition using NTFS file system and Linux on a logical partition using Ext3. I decided to get rid of Linux, so I formatted the logical partition as NTFS too, and now when I'm trying to resize the partitions (I want less space on the ex-Linux one and more on the one that has XP) I get some errors, from Partition Magic:

Error 1611 while executing batch
Bad system file name File 9 (48)

The help files are telling me to run CHKDSK first just in the read-only mode and second using the /F parameter. I get no errors in any mode, I can copy, delete, do anything I want on the secondary partition, but I cannot resize/merge it. I get those stupid errors everytime. Can't find anything helpfull on Google either nor on the PowerQuest site... any ideas??

It is safer to do one task at a time with PM, although I have done several as a batch with no problems.
Try just deleting the partition and apply changes. If that is accomplished you can then create a new partition the size you want. After this has been achieved you can add the unallocated space to C:.

GreenEyedSoul said:
I had both Linux and XP installed on my computer, XP on a primary partition using NTFS file system and Linux on a logical partition using Ext3. I decided to get rid of Linux, so I formatted the logical partition as NTFS too, and now when I'm trying to resize the partitions (I want less space on the ex-Linux one and more on the one that has XP) I get some errors, from Partition Magic:

Error 1611 while executing batch
Bad system file name File 9 (48)

The help files are telling me to run CHKDSK first just in the read-only mode and second using the /F parameter. I get no errors in any mode, I can copy, delete, do anything I want on the secondary partition, but I cannot resize/merge it. I get those stupid errors everytime. Can't find anything helpfull on Google either nor on the PowerQuest site... any ideas??
The bad system name File 9 (48) can appear in pM 8 when there is nothing wrong. What happens if you try to drag either of the aprtitons with PM to a different size?

delete the 2nd partition first before adding it back to the other one,this frees up the space.
at least thats how both my acronis and partition manager work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back