Help with my power supply!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ordered a Dell Optiplex GX620 and it comes with a 305 Watt proprietary power supply. I bought a Geforce 6800GT for the computer and the video card recommends at least a 350 Watt psu. I went out and got a standard ATX PSU and it is exactly the same size as the PSU in my Dell only it's a 20-pin connecter and the Dell is 24. Not only that but I heard that a standard ATX PSU will fry the motherboard and/or the power supply itself. I've heard that I'll need this "Dell to ATX converter" to fix the problem...but the converter has only 20 pins as well. I'm also not even sure if the converter is compatible with my system because my Dell motherboard doesn't have this extra connecter...

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html
(in the picture there's another little connecter on the left...my Dell motherboard lacks it)

I don't know what to do...I've done a lot of research on this and the results vary. Some people think the ATX PSU will work just fine despite it having a 20-pin connecter as opposed to my Dell's 24-pin connecter. Some think the converter will solve the problem. All I wanna do is get a damned power supply so I can use this video card...Dell doesn't even carry any higher wattage PSUs for this model. WHAT CAN I DO?!1@#!

As far as I know PC Power And Cooling is the only company that sells PS's to replace the ones in Dells. They are very good but pricey. Most newer mobos have 24 pin connectors.

If you only have 1 hard drive and no more thn 2 cdroms the PS you have should be enough. My second PC has 2 hard drives, 3cdroms and a Radeon 9800 and 300w Antec and I havent had any problems. Have you checked with Dell to see if they sell a PS with higher output.

Dell doesn't offer any more powerful PSUs for my computer...which sucks. If they did I'd just go and buy one from them and there wouldn't be any problem at all...but Dell's gay like that.

fetus said:
Dell doesn't even carry any higher wattage PSUs for this model.

Hey Fetus, I'm in the same position you were in, except I guess I'm luckier because Pc power and cooling does make a power supply that will work in my computer. Why does Dell make proprietary parts when they don't even sell the upgrade when you need it? They want you to buy a whole new computer from them or what? This really pisses me off :mad:

Have you solved your problem with that converter?

Borrow a normal 24-pin PSU from a friend, then compare the wire colours with the Dell-PSU. Dell has supposedly stopped using proprietary PSUs a while ago, they just use the cheapest junk they can get away with.
Chances are, the wiring is identical.
In that case get a decent PSU of the same dimensions as the Dell one.
Try for something decent like the Antec NeoPower 480.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back