DVI to DVI - No Signal on LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends,

I've a GeForce 6800 GT AGP with one analog and one DVI output.
My LCD is a Viewsonic VX910 with the same input as above.

I've been using a D-SUB or DB-15 output cable all this while. Recently I deciced to buy a DVI-I cable to try the DVI resolution. But when I connect the DVI cable on both ends, the LCD displays a 'No Signal' message. Even after rebooting, it continously shows a 'No Signal' message. When I plug the D-SUB cables back (removing the DVI cable) the display returns. I have even replaced the cable from the vendor to see if the cable was faulty, but still no use.

ps. the 'No Signal' comes from the time of the BIOS Screen uptil the full boot of Windows.

Any solution to this problem?

Your video card fails to detect the DVI connection and doesn't bother with the output until Windows forces it with drivers. Read your video card's manual maybe? Perhaps there is a jumper you can set or something similar.

Nodsu said:
Your video card fails to detect the DVI connection and doesn't bother with the output until Windows forces it with drivers. Read your video card's manual maybe? Perhaps there is a jumper you can set or something similar.

Thank you for your reply. I think your right, there could be a possible jumper setting on the card for me to use.

But the second thought I had was GeForce 6800GT being a new technology card should have an automated feature for DVI-I support. If I was using older cards, I could have succumbed to the thought that 'yes' there has to be a jumper solution to this as it was earlier in all older hardware's.

Any of your expertise on this on where should I specifically look for jumper settings, coz the manual doesnt start anything at all. BTW, it is a eVGA GeForce 6800GT.

Thank goodness someone else has this problem. You're right ... no jumpers mentioned in my Gainward FX5200 manual either.

If you crack this one please give me a call.

Does your LCD have multiple inputs? If so, you may need to simply select the source on your LCD for this.

For example- our Sony 17" LCD, it will not work with a DVI connector until we change the input select to DVI. At this point, powering up the PC- the DVI connector on the 3d card senses the display and everything is golden. Otherwise, we also get the "No Signal" displayed as the LCD is set to the VGA-15 pin.

I'm not so glad that others are having issues (heh!), but I'm also dealing with a similar situation using my Gateway FPD2185W and a nVidia 7800GS AGP card. I replaced the video card to see if it was the problem, but it did not resolve the issue.

Anyways, I'm expecting the standard, out of date "jumper" answer, but I'm hoping someone might actually crack this problem. Way too many people having the same type issue to have them all be monitor problems.

Good luck to you both and please let me know if you come across something!

Brian

bruckshaw said:
Thank goodness someone else has this problem. You're right ... no jumpers mentioned in my Gainward FX5200 manual either.

If you crack this one please give me a call.

I wanted to weigh in on this thread as I too am experiencing the DVI to DVI issue, however, it was not always this way!

I am using a ViewSonic vx2025wm with an XFX GeForce 7800GTX. When I first assembled this system I was quite dissapointed to see that when I tried to boot with the DVI out to my LCD display I had no success. Through a series of software installation steps, I eventually decided to try the DVI input again and remarkably it worked! I had assumed, given the sequence of events that it must have been a driver issue, and when I finally got everything in place the system worked fine.

Several months later I had a RAM stick go bad in my system and some intermittant problems after installing the replacement. I cleared the system BIOS to allow the system to redetect the components, which did alleviate my intermittent failures.

When I cleared the BIOS, I also lost my DVI support again! I did not change or update any of the drivers, nor the system BIOS revision level. I have reviewed my BIOS settings and I don't see anything in there that would seem related to my graphics adapter output mode detection (which would stand to reason as it isn't an integrated device).

I have tried all of the permutations that I can come up with in terms of which order I turn devices on and things like that with no success. I have not tried replacing the DVI cable nor do I have a second DVI enabled display to test that either. It is always a possability that the DVI cable or the DVI interface on my display failed, with remarkable timing, however, since I experienced the same symptoms previously, I doubt but can't rule out hardware failure.

If anything has any updated information regarding this problem, I would be interested to hear about it.

Thanks!

Did you try fiddeling with the buttons at the front of your monitor. most monitors with dual inputs have a button to press to choose between the two. i might have missed it that you mentioned it.

altheman said:
Did you try fiddeling with the buttons at the front of your monitor. most monitors with dual inputs have a button to press to choose between the two. i might have missed it that you mentioned it.

I didn't mention it, good catch. When the display initializes, and then resorts to "no signal" none of the buttons with bring up the on screen display.

I can't get the onscreen menu to display before it is done detecting for that matter. When the display is up in analog mode I can try and switch between analog and digital, but that doesn't work either.

It is quite the frusterating combination of hardware limitations and issues.

My Solution for the Gateway 2185w

After having tried everything in the book, I called Gateway and they shipped me a new monitor. Once I had the new monitor I sent the defective monitor back.

When I hooked up the new monitor it worked perfect the first time so I know that my DVI connection was at fault. Maybe I had a power surge or something, but bottom line is it ended up being the monitor's fault.

Best of luck to you guys still having issues!

Brian

No dvi signal

I have a question.. What does it mean when it says, "NO DVI SIGNAL"? This only happens when Im playing a game with good graphics, for an example. I'm playing DDO at topped out graphics. With 6 AA and Triple Buffering. It almost crashes and says, "NO DVI SIGNAL" Then in about 1min, goes back to the game. Then once it does that maybe the third time. It crashes, and I have to shut down. I can only play DDO with graphics very low. Also, when I shut down, it says NO DVI SIGNAL. Could some one please help me. Is mine the same problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back