Where are my downloads hidden?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have googled alot but I cant seem to find the answer anywhere so please help me!

When I download a file with internet explorer it says: Downloading to c:\mydirectory but I cannot find the file in that directory while the download is in progress. I have enabled show hidden files and filenames. I used the windows search and searches for the fole name but no matches. And I did some research by checking wich directory that grew while I downloaded by doing right click properties, and it turns out that the only folder wich changes in size while im downlaoding and not doing anything else is:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local settings\Temporary Internet Files

However the file is not to be found there either. This really bugs me and i need to know where the file is! I need to see it and preferably be able to preview it (if it is a movie for instance). Would really appriceite all help I can get. :)

if yu know the name of the file then use the searh function to search all files and folders for it.

Hi,

I've seen this before.

There is a 'SuperHidden' directory in Temporary Internet Files called Content.IE5.

Inside the Content.IE5 folder are your downloads. Usually in strangely named folders like 0TYFO5A7 or some other weird concoction of letters and numbers.

For some reason - this folder all of a sudden becomes hidden and you cannot view the files.

However, the files ARE readable when browsing to that location manually or from a different account on the same or networked PC.

You can do 1 of 2 things:

1 - Browse manually to the locations C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

and search for your download - then copy them to your chosen destination.

OR

2 - delete the index.dat file from the Content.IE5 folder - which should solve your problem.........for an amount of time... until it corrupts again !

hope this helps. let me know if not..... i have a few other suggestions.

Option 2 needs to be done using a different account as the index.dat file is used in the Explorer shell when you login.

Just read your post again....

c:\mydirectory - if this is the actual directory that files download to - check for a Content.IE5 folder in there.....

by check... i mean MANUALLY browse via Start | Run

meatologist said:
Hi,

1 - Browse manually to the locations C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

It worked !! i just copy and paste in explorer :D Thx alot !! BTW im gonna check this forum from now on :D

glad to help.

this forum is the best one you can use mate - obviously the more help you can give to others - the better for everyone.

so dont be greedy with any knowledge !

over and out

normally when I download files, I download them either to my flash drive or a folder on my desktop named downloads, that way I can find stuff easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back