Nvidia 7900GS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boxy Brown

Around July I am going to buy a Dell XPS 600. I was messing around to see about how much it's going to cost and when I was selecting the video cards I selected dual Nvidia 7900GS's, I have never heard of these and was wondering if they meant the 7900GT. I tried to search for them on websites such as tigerdirect and newegg but I get no results, but when I search for 7900GT which I know exists I get tons of results. I just want to know if they are real, or if it was a mistake because I would like to research them to know if they are worth the money. Thanks.

then 7900gs is an agp card thats only available for the dell xps. the 7900 gt is pci express card for desktops and laptops.

So wait, it's an AGP card but you can have 2 running together? I didn't even know that you could do that. Another thing is when I looked it up on google I only get results for it being in laptops, but I guess it goes into Dell desktops too.

im not really sure. I know sli(2 video cards) is only possible for pci express on desktops, but it may be different for laptops. As far as i know, the 7900gs is not available for any desktop, but is expected to be released in the future.

Yup, it seems you can run them sli, and they do seem to be agp, I actually can't believe this, but I did a bit of googling and this seemed to be the case. What I can't believe is that what Dell plugs as it's best desktop comes with an agp card... Surely there is a pci-e version of this card...

Boxy, you're not the first person to be confused by these cards, they're defiantly PCI-E, the AGP is 7800GS. Here's a LINK to the specs.

it cant be pci express because gs has always been agp. the 7800gs is agp. the 7800gt and 7900gt are pci express...maybe its a 7900gt and dell just changed the name..idk

Ok, so this is confusing everyone else too, not just me. Oh well, I just can't wait to buy this computer.

Nvidia 7900GS

twite said:
then 7900gs is an agp card thats only available for the dell xps. the 7900 gt is pci express card for desktops and laptops.

You are so wrong!!!. The card is definitely pci express. I searched the Dell XPS website for the XPS600. It only has pci express slots. It offers the 700GS as an option and therefore it is
pci express. I also just purchased one. I saw the picture on Ebay it is pci express and is sold as such. Get real with these ridiculous ill-informed posts.

Edit : Please refrain from such confrontational posting in the future. It helps no one.

I have seen multiple websites that listed the 7900gs as agp..not suprising because the 7800 GS was agp....so their is a reason we are all confused.

Get real with these ridiculous ill-informed posts.

p.s...welcome to techspot boner...i think you'll be very popular here and help many people out with your ridiculous ill-informed posts

Edit : Please refrain from such confrontational posting in the future. It helps no one.

no twite, your wrong the 7900GS is PCI-E. GS has not always historically been AGP. the ONLY example you can name is 7800GS. there is a 6800GS PCI-E. the idea of shipping an AGP card in a modern PC is stupid, why would they do that? espicially now that AGP has been dead for how many years?

i dont know everything about the 7900GS, infact i just created a post in [H]ard Forum askng, but heres what i do know.

the 7900GS is meant to bridge the gap between 7600GT and 7900GT. Nvidia and Dell being such close companies, Dell got the technology first, when it will be hitting stores i donno.

you can expect it has some pipes cut, and perhalps some Texture Mapping Units (TMU) removed.

there is also rumer of a 7600GTX to bridge this gap further. i have no idea what the specs on that will be as i thought the G73 didnt have enough pipes for the 7600GT to begin with.

edit: lol, sorry missed the link the first time. yea what did i say, pipes cut, 1 shader removed. not bad.

As i said probably 5 times now, i was confused as were many other people. Nvidia has launched the 7600GS which is agp..and will probably launch the official version of the 7900GS which will be [drumroll please] AGP. So their you go, 3 7000 series GS agp cards. BAM
espicially now that AGP has been dead for how many years?

Ummm yeahh..last time i checked 40% of people still use AGP...and also thats Why nvidia has launched 3 AGP cards in the last year? Get real

the 7900GS is a speical graphic PCI-e card only for OEM manufauters, such as Alienware, Dell etc. Kind of how haveing quad SLI, four PCI-e x16 slots for four graphic cards, (not the same as the 7950GT that has two graphic cards on it allowing "quad" SLI on two PCI-e x16 slots). OEM companys get speical cards/motherboards (etc) not avaible to consumers. The reason ??? I think it so you have to buy say a dell just to get that particular setup.

AGP will never be SLI. But if it does it will never be on a high demand because PCI-e in a year or two will be tooken over by something newier and better. (PCI-e is about 2 times faster then AGP).

CrossFire851 said:
PCI-e in a year or two will be tooken over by something newier and better. (PCI-e is about 2 times faster then AGP).

I really hope not :unch: puke:

wolfram said:
I really hope not :unch: puke:
why not? you don't want technology to improve?

you may see PCI-e x32 cards at some point but i doubt it. because...

AMD is trying to create a new system of co-processors linked with via hyper-transport. this would be twice as fast and PCI-e x16. in this future system, the motherboard would have multiple sockets instead of card expansion slots.

instead of a video card that communicates through a bandwidth limited chipset, you would have a video co-processor that directly connects to the CPU via a hypertransport BUS, theoretically a 3rd socket could employ a physics co-processor as well.

this would be a very powerful setup, it would be faster than even PCI-e x32. so i think co-processors are the future, not faster expansions slots.

KingCody said:

AMD is trying to create a new system of co-processors linked with via hyper-transport. this would be twice as fast and PCI-e x16. in this future system, the motherboard would have multiple sockets instead of card expansion slots.

instead of a video card that communicates through a bandwidth limited chipset, you would have a video co-processor that directly connects to the CPU via a hypertransport BUS, theoretically a 3rd socket could employ a physics co-processor as well.

this would be a very powerful setup, it would be faster than even PCI-e x32. so i think co-processors are the future, not faster expansions slots.

Especially on the Hypertransport Bus, say Intel is still 30% faster, I think I would rather have awsome graphics other then a small speed increase (beacuse even those CPUs will be incredible fast). And phyiscs?? I know what I will choose.

[begin off-topic]
i think the whole "drop-in" co processor idea would be awesome, it would be cheaper as well verses separate expansion cards. it's a win-win in my book.

but it's AMD's technology and they're still in the licensing phase right now. it is AMD's answer to conroe. they wont need faster CPU performance because it will efficiently offload tasks to the co-processors instead thru a superfast hypertransport BUS.

When (assuming there is a when) it does come out, it will be one awesome system! :D
[end off topic/];)

KingCody said:

Yes, I want technology to improve, but not TOO fast like today. You can build a very high end machine right now, but next year it will be CRAP, especially with the Conroes coming very soon... puke: :mad: :unch: :knock: :dead:

just because faster components are available, it does not make all existing components crap.

the release of Conroe will not make current processors crap by any means.

people with high end socket A's still have great performing computers even by today's standards. it takes years for components to become obsolete. i would never want them to halt advances in computer technology. it only makes everything better :D

Good point there!

The best thing is, that the prices of "current" hardware will be lower when the new things hit the market! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back