BSOD BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! Driver_IRQL_less_or_equal COMPUTER CRASH! HELP PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2006

Hello, I just looked through this forum for the first time and saw about 3 other people who have the same BSOD problem as me which is the: Driver_IRQL_less_or_equal

If Im not mistaken this can be caused by many things like hardware, software, and driver changes so save me the causes. And I think it is because of the newely installed RAM that I installed.
Here is my computer:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Board: GA-8S650GXM
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/16/2003
2.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
1536 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot 'A0' has Certified Memory 1024 MB DDR (PC 3200,400Mhz)
Slot 'A1' has ULTRA 512 MB DDR (PC 3200,400Mhz)
ATI RADEON 9550 256MB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my RAM story that I think caused the problem...but not sure:

OK so I had 764MB of DDR ram installed on the computer previously and decided to upgrade to 1.5GB by removing the 256 and adding a 1GB. So I get the 1GB Certified memory DDR 400Mhz Pc3200 RAM and install it in the first slot and the 512 Ultra DDR 400Mhz Pc3200 RAM in the second slot. And just remove the 256MB that use to be in the first slot...So I turn computer on and it is been the 2nd day with the new upgrade and every few hours I get atleast one of these:
1. Blue Screen of Death (sometimes says memory-guage-blah blah) (sometimes total rubish, sometimes IQRL or something... NONESENSE~)
2.Windows Crashes (cant exit anything, open anything, can ONLY move mouse) that last 1~3 minutes
3.Application crashes (random programs just close)
4.And this is a new one, a BSOD and in event viewer says "The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s)."
5. Usual TCP/IP warning in event viewer "TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."

So number 1, SPECIALLY 2, and 4 are new and happen in the course of 2 days of adding the new 1GB ram. So basically the computer not only did not improve in preformance...IT SLOWS DOWN, crashes, freezes and dreadful BSOD that no one understand.
And here is the BSOD that is occuring:

First of all, a LOT OF BSOD errors and windows crashes are happening, some that I have NEVER seen before however the most occuring, most anoying one is the: Driver_IRQL_less_or_equal error. Funny part is that none of these get recorded in the system event viewer however next time it ovvures I will try getting full numbers. This happenes usually when Im surfing the net, playing games, and typing or listing to music. If it is from the new RAM installed...what can I do to fix it? Should I update BIOS? Should I change memory setting in BIOS (heard from other threats)?

Buttom line, my computer is really screwed, BSOD and Driver_IRQL_less_or_equal all the time when USB devices are connected, games are played etc. Please please help.
Thank you in advance!:hotouch:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree your problems are almost certainly caused by a ram problem.

This could be because the ram is faulty or just plain incompatible.

I suggest running your system with just the new stick of ram and see if you still get crashes. If you do then you should test your ram as per the instructions in this thread HERE.

It`s never a good idea to mix sizes/brands/speeds of ram. Ok, it can work fine, but then again it can cause all kinds of stability issues.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I have read over your thread and will try to do all those things as soon as possible however here are the minidump files (recent 6) I rar'ed for you to see if you get anything out of it...
I will run the mem test now as well...

I cant figure out how to work the Memtest thing...very confusing...sorry if Im not that good lol, but can you please explain briefly how to get it working? So I can give you results...
Thanks.

JUST HAPPENED AGAIN AND I HAD ONLY THE new ram (1GB) installed...the crash says:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xC9B886E4,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x804DC250)

So...does this mean the ram is defective? And how can I find out if its defective/fualty or if its simply just not compatible?
Thanks.

After looking at your minidumps, I think it`s definitely a ram problem. Add the fact that your problems only started after you had put new ram in your system and I think it`s obvious what the problem is.

There are two versions of Memtest86+. One is for use with a floppy drive and the other is a pre-built iso, which can be burned as an image to a cd.

If you have a floppy drive, then download the floppy version. Format a floppy disk and then write the files to the said floppy. Make sure your floppy drive is set as the first boot device, then with the floppy in the drive reboot your system. The Memtest programme should run automatically. Let it run for at least seven passes.

If you don`t have a floppy drive, you should download the pre-built iso version of Memtest86+. Unzip it once and burn the resulting file to a cd as an image. Make sure your cd-rom is set as the first boot device and with the cd in the drive reboot your system. Memtest should run atomatically.

Regards Howard :)

howard_hopkinso said:
After looking at your minidumps, I think it`s definitely a ram problem. Add the fact that your problems only started after you had put new ram in your system and I think it`s obvious what the problem is.

OK so its my Ram but what do you mean by "and I think it`s obvious what the problem is"?. So are you saying the ram is not compatible? Because when I run a Crucial (ram compatibility software) it tells me I can use PC3200 400Mhz which will just downclock itself...
Or are you meaning that the problem is that the ram is defective or fualty all together?

I will run the floppy memtest soon and get back with the results...

I mean that your ram is either faulty or incompatible with your other ram/mobo.

You`ll have a better idea of what`s wrong once you`ve run the memory tests.

Right now its been 1 hour and it has only run one pass!!!and you are saying to let it go for 7 passes!! Wont that take like 7 hours?
And so far 0 errors...
BTW should I change any settings in the Memtest or leave it all at defualt?
AND should I just get a exchange for the ram? and if so how will be able to prove it to them that it is faulty? (got it from ebay so the seller tests returns and it "works" but is faulty...)

Thanks.

Yes it`s going to take a while.

It`s perfectly possible for the ram to be fine. If that`s the case, then it has to be a compatibility issue.

You may want to take a look at this thread HERE.

ok so I let it run for 7 passes and 0 errors...after the almost 4 hour operation...
So whats this mean the ram is not compatible but perfectly working?

Thanks for the help.
And so replacing the new ram wont help and I need to put back my old onces to fix my crashes then?

Ok, it sounds like your ram may be ok. I say maybe, because some faulty ram can pass memtest.

Now lets see where we are.

With just the new stick of ram in your computer you get crashes right?

If you go back to your previous sticks of ram your system is stable?

That means you only have two possibilities.

1 The new stick of ram is faulty.

2 The new stick of ram is incompatible with your mobo.

In either case it`s not gonna work.

You should therefore contact the vendor and see if they`ll take it back.

If I`ve got any of the above wrong, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help...and I think the new ram is not compatible too however how come my 512 ULTRA P3200 400Mhz has worked perfectly since I got it?
This new one is exactly the same thing just 1GB and not Ultra brand...

A2006 said:
Thanks for all the help...and I think the new ram is not compatible too however how come my 512 ULTRA P3200 400Mhz has worked perfectly since I got it?
This new one is exactly the same thing just 1GB and not Ultra brand...

The brand is different and that`s all it takes sometimes. Some mobo`s are very picky when it comes to brands of ram they will work with.

I have also read about disabling the paging file and that will prevent the system from giving me the IRQL crashes...
I am right now trying that and so far today...no crashes =) However will something eventually go wrong by disabling the paging file (aka "virtual memory")? Because it says "microsoft does not recommend disabling paging file".
what is it even used for anyways and will it have an effect on anything if I keep it disabled?
Right now I am only using the 1GB without paging file and no errors so far. As soon as I get the crash again I will tell you.
Thanks.

P.S. If I stop getting crashes, should I put back the 512MB stick and have paging file diabled in hoping to have the 1.5GB I was aiming for without all the crashes?

It`s not a good idea to disable the paging file.

Some applications need to use it.

So, if you start getting problems with some programmes not working properly, you`ll know what`s causing it.

Well I just had a MEMORY_MANAGMENT BSOD and after a few hours followed by a IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What do you have me do? Reanable the paging file and I wont get the memory-managment bsod? and remove the new ram?

I`ve already said you shouldn`t disable the paging file. In other words, re-enable it.

I`ve also said, your new ram needs to be taken out of your computer as it`s causing problems. Go back to using your original ram and see if your computer becomes stable.

I don`t know what else I can tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back